Washington Babies
Options

VBAC Moms - I need your story

I'm torn. Nathan wants me to try to go the VBAC route with baby number two and I am terrified to. I think it's the fear of the unknown and knowing there are certain risks that come with it. I know that there are risks with the surgery too, but I think because I know what to expect, I'm less scared.

Tell me your story, successes or not. Those of you who are thinking about going with the VBAC route, tell me why. I feel like I want hear what other c/s mommas have to say about it. I plan to talk to my OB about it at my first appointment as well. 

photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: VBAC Moms - I need your story

• Options
    No advice, obviously, but holy crap that picture is killing me!  I love that kid!

image Visit The Nest!

• Options
    can I ask why he wants you to do a VBAC?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    His opinion is that he thinks we got my epidural too early and that's why I didn't progress (I got it at 3cm after they broke my water and only dilated to 4cm) and he feels that it's the way that our bodies were supposed to have babies. I think his main concern is the recovery of a c/s though, he just won't say it. My first recovery wasn't bad, the first week was awful, but after that it was fine. I would assume that he's more scared this time.
    photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My doc (jordan) said I was a canidate for it at our 1st appt but doesnt want you to make a set decision until later in 2nd tri.  So much can happen/change within that time frame he prefers you to not feel set in stone.  We had a cs scheduled for 4 days after my due date. If it happined before that and things were going well, with no medical help, we would continue. If my body didnt do it or things didnt seem to be doing it on their own I was ready for a cs.  When we went in (after being sent home) I told dh that I was ready for a cs if I hadn't "changed", thank god I had and W was born a mear 6 hours later.  So different then it had been with M. 

Let me know if you have any questions, It was a hard choice to make.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I attempted a VBAC and my uterus ruptured.  I won't share ALL of the gory details (unless you want them), but I bled for 13-14 weeks PP, bled when I'd exercise for approx 8 months PP, had horrible pain and was on prescription painkillers for at least a couple weeks postpartum, and had lingering pain for several months. 

Luckily, both Gavin and I survived.  I know that the rate of infant death is higher with a failed VBAC, but I'm not sure about the other stats. 

Obviously, I had a bad experience and that colors my view, but VBAC is not something I'd recommend.

• Options

First of all, EEEEEEEEEEEK! I just saw your post, and I'm so excited for you!!

Second, I am not even going to attempt a VBAC at this point in time. I know I am not even pregnant yet, but it is something that H and I discuss often. My failure to progress had nothing to do with interventions. In fact, the interventions (cytotec, pitocin, and epi) all allowed me to progress a little, but my body just didn't do what it was supposed to. I don't want to go through that again. To me, I feel like another attempt/failure would break me more than the first c/s. Like you, I am totally afraid of the attempt and eventual failure.

Is a VBAC something that you would even want or would you just do it for him? If it is something that you are interested in, but are scared of, I would just suggest lots of research and a consult with your OB. I feel like I would be much more back and forth than I am, but right now, on the eve of TTC, it isn't something that I even want to entertain.

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options
    I am with Katie on this one. Although I didn't have to go through labor ending up with a c/s, I knew for awile because Austin was breech and had no intention of moving. I didn't have a hard recovery, so I have no problem having a c/s again, I am also going to have a tubal ligation. I think it's whatever is best for you, it is your body, and your health. Will your OB do a VBAC?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKNemo:

First of all, EEEEEEEEEEEK! I just saw your post, and I'm so excited for you!!

Second, I am not even going to attempt a VBAC at this point in time. I know I am not even pregnant yet, but it is something that H and I discuss often. My failure to progress had nothing to do with interventions. In fact, the interventions (cytotec, pitocin, and epi) all allowed me to progress a little, but my body just didn't do what it was supposed to. I don't want to go through that again. To me, I feel like another attempt/failure would break me more than the first c/s. Like you, I am totally afraid of the attempt and eventual failure.

Is a VBAC something that you would even want or would you just do it for him? If it is something that you are interested in, but are scared of, I would just suggest lots of research and a consult with your OB. I feel like I would be much more back and forth than I am, but right now, on the eve of TTC, it isn't something that I even want to entertain.

I had the same problem (failure to progress) during labor and I feel like my body just didn't do what it was supposed to do, so why go through that again? Since then, I've thought exactly the same thing as you, if my body didn't do it the first time, what makes me or anyone think it'll happen this time around? I don't know if DH just randomly started looking at VBAC's or what, but he kind of got me thinking about it.

I think, at this point, if I went into labor or my water broke, I'd consider laboring for a bit to see how I do. Ultimately, I feel like I want a c/s because I know what to expect. I'll research and talk to my OB, but I'm still leaning towards c/s.

@Coribecca, I might need the gory details... What happened to you is my biggest worry. My OB, the first time I met him, told me that with a VBAC, I have a 2% chance of Placental Abruption and I feel like I'd be that 2%. Did you go into labor on your own? How long did you labor? When during your labor/delivery did your rupture happen and did that end in an emergency c/s?

You all are great! I will probably ask more questions along the way, but I'll keep you all posted on my decision. I hope that if anyone else has a story or advice, they will share it! :-)

• Options

I was 10 days overdue.  My c-section was scheduled for a Friday and I went into labor on my own on Thursday night.  I labored for 31.5 hours before the c-section.  The doctor finally decided to do the c-section because I didn't progress past 7 cm.

Lucky for me, my uterus ruptured as they were making the incision.  Even though the epidural was turned up really high, I could feel the rupture, which is common.  I totally panicked because I thought that I was feeling the surgery.  The best way to describe it is that it felt as thought my pubic bone was being ripped apart (I'm not exaggerating).  If the anestesiologist hadn't been so comforting, I would have totally lost it.  I was literally screaming at the doctor.  It was a horrible, scary moment.

My first labor ended in a c-section for failure to progress, too.  I didn't get past 4 cm after more than 12 hours of labor, even with pitocin.

If you decide to go for a VBAC, here's my advice:

1.  Know the risk factors.  I had several and wasn't aware of it.  Make sure you know what factors make a successful VBAC (or a rupture) more or less likely.

2.  Don't ignore any pain during pregnancy.  I felt pain in the area of my pubic bone at the end of my pregnancy.  I ignored it, thinking that it was just the pain that comes with carrying a baby.  The pain was in the same area that I eventually felt the rupture, so now I wonder if the pain I had during pregnancy was an early indication that something was wrong.

3.  Insist on a late u/s.  Gavin was 10 lbs 3 oz, which I think has a lot to do with why my uterus ruptured.  If I'd had a late u/s and known how big he was, I NEVER would have tried for a VBAC.

In the end, you have to do what is comfortable for you.  If you aren't comfortable with a VBAC, don't have one.  I've heard that the recovery form a scheduled c-section is MUCH easier than the recovery from a c-section after you have labored unsuccessfully for hours.

(If you were wondering, the doctor was able to save my uterus.  I can even have more babies if I want to.  Not that I ever want to be pregnant again, after that experience.)

• Options
    Wow coribecca I don't thunk I knew anything about your experience!! How awful and scary. I'm glad you're both ok! My story is the same as ttgcole. Breech cs fir Ben so repeat for Cooper because I had no problems with a csect and was frankly more scared of a vag birth than surgery. I say do what you want to do. I am not sure why your dh would have any opinion on how you get a baby out of your body. I'd make him make his case more than "that's how babies are supposed to be born" if you're not comfortable with a vbac. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Ps. Typing on phone. Sorry about the typos.
  • Options

It's a tough call for sure.  I am leaning toward VBAC, but I always keep Coribecca's story in the back of my mind.  I too think I'll prepare for a VBAC but keep open until I really have to decide, and I am going to make sure I have people around me that I trust when I make that decision - DH, OB, Doula. 

My c/s was because K was breech and my amniotic fluid was on the low side.  I found out a week before that I would be having a c/s, and the recovery was not bad at all.  I think knowing that I was going to have one really helped me prep and mentally be ready, and I had a game plan for getting back on my feet. 

ETA: I don't think it's weird at all for your DH to have an opinion on the subject, I think it's a good thing that he's involved.  I'm glad you guys are talking about this now, because it'll give you a chance to explain your fears and give you guys time to come up with what is best for you and your family and make a decision.  It is important that he takes your concerns seriously, because if you aren't mentally committed to the VBAC, it could be a very scary and tough thing.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a c/s with Jacob b/c he wouldnt come out. I honestly think it was his head postition. It was not favorable. I had to be induced at 42 weeks, came in at 0cm, they gave me the epidural, labored for 36 hours, finally got to a 10, pushed for 4 hours and finally decided he wasn't going to come out. Recovery was great, much easier than I thought so I dont have anything bad to say about that. I really really had a strong desire to have a vbac with Norah and my Dr was supportive of me the entire way. Granted I had to switch hospitals/Doctors, but it was worth the extra drive. I probably wasn't the "ideal" candidate for the vbac (because the very same thing could happen again) but I trusted my Dr. to call it off if ever she felt things were going to be dangerous.

I was incredibly lucky to have a Dr who would induce a vbac (most dont) ...once again, I was 42 weeks but this time, I was 3 cms dilated (vs. 0 when I came in with Jake) I had a noticeably different feeling in my lady bits this time as well. With Jake I was never uncomfortable, but with Norah I thought my vag was going to split in half. To the Dr, this was a good sign. I even lost my mucus plug with Norah..nothing with Jake.

This pregnancy, I felt much more going on. When I went in for an induction (42 weeks), I got some pitocin mid-morning, epidural early evening, went from a 3-10 in 6.5 hours and had her at 8:30pm.
    As much as I wanted the vbac, I knew mine (and Norahs) health was the top priority so I couldn't have my mind set on anything. I put a lot of trust in my faith as well. I had many friends and family praying for us.

With that being said, I did end up with a 3rd degree tear, thanks to epidural, I didnt feel anything. I was a bit worried about the recovery, but I got lucky and recovered very quickly. No issues whatsoever. I will try again for a vbac with #3 and pray for the same outcome!

My DH didn't have a huge preference either way, but given the choice, I think he wanted to me to avoid a major surgery again. Especially since at the time, Jake was only 21 months old....granted, our health was his top priority as well :)
    My advice would be to make sure the hospital you're delivering at allows vbacs (there's only 2 by my house that will allow it), make sure your Dr does them, go over any and all risk factors, ask friends who have had them (like you're doing!) and pray about it!

Good luck K! I am so, so happy for you!

• Options

imageMSTie24:
    No advice, obviously, but holy crap that picture is killing me!  I love that kid!

For realz!  I love that pic!  Such expression :)

I went the second c section route.  I never really had my set on a vaginal birth and I had an easy recovery from my first one.  While I don't think it is strange for your DH to have an opinion, ultimately you should do what you feel most comfortable with.  

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Options

Birth is such an incredible and personal thing.  You really should only do what your comfortable with since, ultimately, it's your body that has to experience and recover from it.

I had a c-section and am considering a vbac the next time around.  I'm a good candidate and I would really like to experience vaginal birth.  My recovery was long and horrible the first time around.  To me, the idea of a planned c-section takes a lot of the adventure out of the experience.  But that's just what I feel like right now.  When the next one is on the way I could feel completely different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"