Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

My babies arm went limp!

She woke up and was playing fine for 45 minutes, but when she went in the highchair she all of sudden became fussy and her right arm/shoulder looked slouched.  I took her out and tried to feed her a little but she wasn't moving her arm.  I set her down and she wouldn't put pressure on it to crawl.  Nor was she really grasping anything.  Throughout this she was just kind of whining, not crying - and I believe it was more out of frustration because she couldn't crawl.  The only thing I can think of is that I maybe hurt her when I pushed up her sleeves.

My dad was here, so he recommended I call the dr and he would give her a warm bath.  The nurse said to bring her in, but after a 20 minute bath her arm was back to normal and she was crawling with her normal fervor.

The Dr. said not to bring her in, but to definitely do so if it happened again, however I'm feeling kind of shaken up and want some answers.  Has anyone experienced this before?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My babies arm went limp!

• Options

That does not seem normal. I would still go to the dr.

I am glad she is ok now though!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

do you think maybe it fell asleep? you know how sometimes when you put pressure on a numb limb, you get that pins and needles feeling? maybe that felt uncomfortable.

but just in case it was something more serious, perhaps the doc should see it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How scary.  I'm glad she is ok now, but if it were me, I would get a second opinion. 
    Baby #2 on the way! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Could it have been asleep? Sounds like maybe wih the warm bath it helped it wake up? I agree with the pp though, I would still go to the Dr.
  • Options

Is it all better now? A PA friend of mine was just telling me how common dislocated elbows are on babies. 

ETA: Nevermind, you said that. I'm glad she is feeling better! 

• Options
    imageamericanada:

do you think maybe it fell asleep? you know how sometimes when you put pressure on a numb limb, you get that pins and needles feeling? maybe that felt uncomfortable.

yes, this is what I thought initially, but she was crawling the minute before I picked her up and put her in her highchair, so it's not as if she just woke up from a nap and it was numb from her laying on it.  also, this went on for about 20 minutes before she got in the bath, because I was testing it out to see if she just knocked her elbow or something.

mommy's intuition is telling me it's something else, and I'm going to see if they can put us back on the calendar for today.

thanks, ladies!

• Options
    imageNewMommy423:
    imageamericanada:

yes, this is what I thought initially, but she was crawling the minute before I picked her up and put her in her highchair, so it's not as if she just woke up from a nap and it was numb from her laying on it.  also, this went on for about 20 minutes before she got in the bath, because I was testing it out to see if she just knocked her elbow or something.

mommy's intuition is telling me it's something else, and I'm going to see if they can put us back on the calendar for today.

thanks, ladies!

This is so key. I didn't realize how much I would lean on that and how in tune with my child I am. I hope everything is ok.

• Options
    How scary. I hope everything is okay! 
    Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • Options

Her elbow probably popped out of it's socket.  If it happens again take her to the doc and they can show you how to pop it back in (if it doesn't happen on it's own).

The first time this happened to my DD she was 6 months old and I actually did it to her :(  I was getting her dressed and held her hand while I pulled up on her shirt sleeve.  I heard a pop, her arm went limp and she cried for a second but then stopped.  Her arm just hung there like it wasn't attached to her body.  It was a Sunday so I took her to the ER.  They popped it back in and told me how common it was, etc.  It happened again and my DH took her to the pedi.  They showed him what to do and he showed me. It happened as recently as a month ago.

Be prepared: once it happens a first time they are more prone to it so it will most likely happen again.  But don't panic!  It's really not that big of a deal!   

• Options
    This happened to my DD when she was little. Took her to the dr and they did X-rays and couldn't figure it out. Turns out, she pinched a nerve in her elbow, nurse maids elbow they said. The dr massaged it for a minute and she was fine. Never happened again.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • Options

imagelaurieb602:
    This happened to my DD when she was little. Took her to the dr and they did X-rays and couldn't figure it out. Turns out, she pinched a nerve in her elbow, nurse maids elbow they said. The dr massaged it for a minute and she was fine. Never happened again.

Just an FYI, Nursemaid's elbow is a dislocation, not a pinched nerve.  She either had one or the other, they are not the same thing.   

• Options
    imageShell24:

Her elbow probably popped out of it's socket.  If it happens again take her to the doc and they can show you how to pop it back in (if it doesn't happen on it's own).

The first time this happened to my DD she was 6 months old and I actually did it to her :(  I was getting her dressed and held her hand while I pulled up on her shirt sleeve.  I heard a pop, her arm went limp and she cried for a second but then stopped.  Her arm just hung there like it wasn't attached to her body.  It was a Sunday so I took her to the ER.  They popped it back in and told me how common it was, etc.  It happened again and my DH took her to the pedi.  They showed him what to do and he showed me. It happened as recently as a month ago.

Be prepared: once it happens a first time they are more prone to it so it will most likely happen again.  But don't panic!  It's really not that big of a deal!   

• Options
    imageShell24:

This makes perfect sense!  Thank you!  They weren't able to get us back in today, so your post has made me feel a lot better.  Much appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"