Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

How many words does your 18-month-old say?

We have our well-baby check-up coming up, and the nurse called and asked me to take inventory of how many words DD is saying.... She's saying about 75 words right now, give or take, but I have no idea if that's normal or not (and I want to mentally prepare myself if DD is behind).

I've tried googling it, but the average seems to range from 50-200 words depending on the source (which seems like a pretty wide range to me), and some sources say 2- and 3-word are normal at this age (which DD definitely doesn't do regularly).

How many words does (did) your 18-month-old say? Any 2 or 3 word combinations?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How many words does your 18-month-old say?

• You have nothing to worry about.  75 words is far from behind.  My son says about 20 words.  He does not say sentences. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • He says about 100 words and has a few 3-word combinations he uses regularly.  It sounds like your LO is right on track-I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • Loading the player...
  • 75 words is a lot.  At DD's 18 month check up, the doc asked if she was speaking at least 10 words.  She definitely is but she's no where near 75 words yet and definitely no 2 or 3 combos for my girl yet other than "no, mama!"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your 18 month old is right on track (if not "ahead"). At our 18 month check up we were talking about language and I told our pedi that I could no longer count how many words she could say cause there were so many. Our pedi specifically said "I will never ask a parent how many words a child is saying because there is such a huge range at this age." Instead, he asks "does he/she talk? what types of things does he/she say" to get a general idea. He doesn't like the idea of saying "Does your child say at least 10 words?" Cause there are parents are there who might panick and say "OMG my baby only says 9!!!!!".

No worries- 75 is plenty of words!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
  • DD has probably 150 + words at 19 months. I tried to count to tell the pedi at her 18 month apt and had over 100. It seems like she learns a new one every day now. Her language just took off at like 15 months and never stopped so I think she is fairly advanced. In between 18 and 19 months she has started stringing 2 to 3 words together. "Mommy, have it." "where he go?" "Daddy, in tent" (in her play tent) etc.

That said, I think your LO is right on track and even ahead of the "norm" (whatever that means - it's all pretty arbitrary as every kid develops different skills at different rates). Have you had the 18 month apt yet? They will tell you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine said 2. He only has 3 now. I would be doing cartwheels for 75. 
  • 75 words is very ahead.  Allie is 15 months and says about 30 words and she's very verbally advanced.
  • I would say 75 words is above average.  From things that I read I thought the range was lower than what you found. 

DS has been talking since 12 months and has new words every day.  I would say he is above average but it's hard to count the words.  He does use word combinations and sentences.  

I think everything will be fine and your doctor will be happy with the word progress.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD has zero words.  She gets speech and occupational therapy through EI.

At our last appointment, the speech-language pathologist said she expected 25-150 words at this age, but she wasn't too worried if a kid had 10-15 words.

• 18 words for us
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Collin 7.26.09   Sarah 6.18.11   Sammy 5.30.13
  • I think 75 words is great. Your daughter is doing very well.

I took my son to his 18 month appointment yesterday. They asked how many words specifically - I estimated 50. The doctor was very happy and told me that the average 18 month old says maybe 8-10 words and she said that animal sounds and expression (i.e. uh-oh) count as words at this point.

For those of you who have yet to hear your DS/DD speak maybe this will reassure you.

My sister did not speak a word until she was two years old. Once she started to talk she was saying whole thoughts (mini sentences) within a month. She went on to a really good college, worked as a financial manager, and now had three great kids.

• Wow, your baby says that many? Why kind of words are we talking here?  We just got back from 18 month checkup and doc said he should be saying at least 10 and they don't even have to be perfect words.  If he says oboe for robot, it's a word.  Our guy is right on target.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Ummm????   ....DD just had her 18 month appt last Friday and the nurse asked if she could say 5 - 10 words, so I'd say you are way ahead.  DD has like 3 words she is saying right now.

My DD is way more advanced than normal in motor skills and pretending right now the doc says.

• Wow! I can't even imagine DD saying that many words. She says 4-5 words regularly (in addition to mama an dada). We haven't had our 18 month appointment yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're told she's behind.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagetlynnus:
    Mine said 2. He only has 3 now. I would be doing cartwheels for 75. 

Same here.  We have 3 words.  He should have at least 10 at this point.  Speech therapy starts in a month.  

• At 18 months DD had more words than i was willing to keep track of. She used word combinations too such as: Hi Daddy, Daddy go to work, Baby Liam crys, Help mommy cook. More Milk please, Bath time, play outside, yummy treat ( when fed grapes).  Now at this point its amazing how many words and combos she has. I think my favorite is when i ask her a question and she says "its possible"

Your DD sounds like she is doing great

• Here is the information that the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association provides for the 1-2 year age range...

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/12.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"