Nebraska Babies
Options

Cities in Nebraska

Hi ladies, sorry this doesn't have much to do with babies...but I am not sure where to look/ask!

My husband and I are planning on moving to the midwest in the next few years, and have been looking into Colorado and Nebraska.  We're loving the idea of Lincoln NE as it is rated #1 place to raise a family (we have a 9 month old son).  We are going out to Wyoming for Frontier Days in June and plan on driving through NE to look at a few cities and neighborhoods.  Can anybody recommend some nice suburban neighborhoods or cities for us?  I feel a little lost as I have only been as far as CO & WY!

Re: Cities in Nebraska

• Options

Lots of cities around Omaha are nice...Papillion, NE was highly rated by a top magazine recenly (sorry, don't remember which one).  I live in Bennington, NE, great schools and minutes away from everything in Omaha.  I don't care much for Lincoln myself.  I went to the University there and lived there for about 8 years, but it is just a boring place!

btw...there are boys on this site too, not just ladies!

• Options
    I guess it depends on what size of city you want to live in.  I live in waverly which is a small town outside of Lincoln. We have a great school system and we are only 20 mins from lincoln and about 45rmin from Omaha.  We have a lot of Friends that live in both cities.  I have always live in Lincoln(except for college).  I like Lincoln, but like the post earlier, their is more to do in Omaha then lincoln.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I live in Ralston and love it!  Its in the middle of Omaha, NE but still has a small community feel.  They do a lot of fun family activities for the community throughout the year, including the largest 4th of July Parade in the state.  Papillion was ranked #3 in the list of best places to live around a year ago by CNN & Money magazine. Good luck in your search!

AJ 

:)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I live in Bennington and absolutely love it.  We moved here from Northwest Omaha in the past few months.  We have a great school system and we're close to everything in Omaha. I grew up close to here, but lived in Colorado for 11 years.  We enjoyed living there too.  My hubby and I moved our family back to NE a few years ago and decided we'll stay put here while we raise our family.

• Options

Blair is a great little town in Nebraska.  It is on the smaller side..around 8,000 people.  It is only 30 minutes away from Omaha.  It is a quite town with not much crime at all...think "Mayberry" from the Andy Griffith show. 

The schools are great...could be viewed as one of the best in the state.  I am not from there...My DH is and I have always seen us moving there at some point in our life.

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BFP 7/7/08, M/C 7/8/08, BFP 9/23/08, M/C 9/24/08, BFP 11/2/08 TWINS!,
    Lost Our 10 month old Baby Boy Rowan 3/12/10 BFP 8/25/10
  • Options
    I live in Lincoln right now & have an 8 month old son! I know The Highlands here in Lincoln is a nice suburb, like it's own almost little town, nice apartments and homes, a great community to raise a family! But there is a lot more to do in Omaha. I love Lincoln though, although I'm originally from Grand Island.
  • Options

imagemamacaro:
    I live in Lincoln right now & have an 8 month old son! I know The Highlands here in Lincoln is a nice suburb, like it's own almost little town, nice apartments and homes, a great community to raise a family! But there is a lot more to do in Omaha. I love Lincoln though, although I'm originally from Grand Island.

My brother's family just moved from airpark to the highlands :)

I'm from Seward, which is only 20/25 minutes west of Lincoln. It's a really great town. Great school system & a great place to raise your children.

I'm right now living in Alma. Which is about 3 hours from Lincoln & I really dont like it. Holdrege has a great medical system as that is where our son was born. But I would love to be closer to Lincoln again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I grew up in Lincoln and let me say it is a great place! Currently my family lives about 2.5 hours in small a Nebraska town, but we go down to Lincoln often to see my parents. There is always a lot to do.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Lincoln isn't awful or anything, but there's definitely WAY more to do in Omaha. In addition to being a bigger city, Omaha offers more opitions as to housing.

Whether you choose to live in Omaha itself, or if you choose to locate in one of the nearby towns such as Bellevue, Papillion, LaVista, Ralston (or heck, even Council Bluffs, Iowa) there are many different types of living options available. Omaha was recently voted "#1 most affordable city" by Forbes magazine. It really depends on what you are looking for.

If you like old, established neighborhoods with character (like me!) then you will want to check out the Dundee and Field Club neighborhoods. There are also some really neat houses in the area surrounding the University of Nebraska at Omaha (although these areas can get a little pricey). Ralston is sort of a city-within-a-city. The houses are older, the streets are somewhat quieter, and you feel like you are tucked away a little bit from the hustle of Omaha. Bellevue is nice as well, especially the area near Fontenelle Forest. I am not as big of a fan of Papillion and LaVista, as I really don't like the cookie-cutter houses they offer (seems like every house is some variation of beige, and there aren't enough trees.)

If you can, I would recommend that you and your husband take a weekend trip here and just drive around. See what you like. Good luck!!  

Anniversary
  • Options

I agree about the cookie cutter houses, I wouldnt buy one personally and Field Club and Dundee are both really nice, as well as Country Club in Omaha, but Papillion was voted one of the top 3 best places to live recently. :)  

:)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"