March 2011 Moms
Options

Question about sonogram weight being off...

I was told today that my baby is measuring 6 1/2 pounds at 34 weeks. If that's true, I'm in store for a big baby! The doctor (high risk) asked if I had GD. I told her my numbers were fine to which she replied, "You might just make big babies." I know that sonograms can be off. My sister was told she'd have a huge baby and he was only 7.4. Do you guys know much about level 2 sonograms being off?

Re: Question about sonogram weight being off...

• Options
    I'm thinking about a 1lb +/-.  I know w/ DS they said he was going to be about 8 lbs and he was 9.8...but I think they tend to overestimate the weight.  I know it is easier said than done, but I wouldn't worry too much.  LO could have just went through a growth spurt! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Someone just posted a birth story the other day and they'd been told 8-9 lbs or more but the baby was like 6 1/2 lbs. I had an u/s the day of delivery and it was off by 1/3 of the weight. You can never really be sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just asked my doctor today and maximum +/- 1 pound
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My sister was told she was going to have a 7 pounder and he ended up being 10+ pounds so, yeah, they can definitely be off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I had an u/s 2 weeks ago and was told the weight estimate could be off +/- a pound and that even though babies gain an average of .5 a week that's not a given.  They may gain less or they may gain more.  So, pretty much, the weight estimate today means nothing if you are trying to estimate the birth weight. lol

• Options
    They told me my DD would be around 9 lbs and she was 6lbs 13ozs, so I dont trust the weight measurments. 
  • Options
    I just asked this question to our childbirth instructor (who is also a doula) and she said plus/minus 2 pounds.  She's seen mothers who were told they'd have a nearly 10 pound baby give birth to one less than 8.  I have a sonogram Monday b/c the dr. said I'm measuring a little big.  I'm trying to keep this in perspective and not worry too much!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i was told that he was going to be "well over 8 lbs" on the day of delivery (i was being monitored for dropping amniotic fluid levels at a high risk u/s place) and asked how accurate they were and she assured me "with their high res machines, only a couple ounces" and he was 7lbs. so they don't know what the hell they're talking about. lol.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"