3rd Trimester
Options

Thyroid cyst and herniated disk during pregnancy?

So today pretty much sucked. Someone rear-ended me while I was stopped at a stop light coming down a hill off the highway. He didn't have insurance and tried to leave but someone stopped him. I had severe neck pain so they called an ambulance and took me to the er. The nurse in the er sucked but that's a story for another day. They did a cat scan and I have a Herniated disk in between C5 and C6 and a bad case of whiplash BUT they also found a medium sized cyst on my thyroid.

Baby is fine after being monitored in L&D for 4 hours which I am very grateful for. Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with a thyroid problem during pregnancy and what they can do for it. 

Ditto for herniated disk. Going back to bed for a bit. Thanks!

Re: Thyroid cyst and herniated disk during pregnancy?

• Options

I have hashimoto's thyroiditis.  I have nodules (cysts) all over my thyroid.  During pregnancy they can grow etc.  so they never ultrasound mine during pregnancy unless I am having a problem.  The actually wait until 6 months afterwards.  The hormones cause them to grow.  If your thyroid function is normal they will just watch the nodule probably (unless it is a significant size).  If your thyroid function is not normal there is medcations. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

I have a multinodular goiter on my thyroid, which is like a series of small cysts. The strategy for the past 6 years or so has been "wait and see". You'll want to get it checked out (for me, that's bloodwork and a u/s), but it may or may not be something you treat in pregnancy or at all.

RE: the herniated disc, you have my sympathy. I don't know anything about that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH had a hurniated disk last year, and it was really painful, so you certainly have my sympathy.  Is it something that just happened during the accident, or have you injured your back in the past?  I guess the 'good news' is that DHs back got better without any real medical intervention, just lots and lots of rest and time and it can inflamed again easily.  GL!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone. I see my dr on Wed which seems like forever at this point.

As for my disk-I have been having numbness in my left arm and hand for a while and thought it was bad carpal tunnel. They said they wouldn't be able to tell when the disk happened. They said pregnant women are actually more likely to have it happen b/c of the hormone relaxin makes your bones move easier so I'm hoping that they can just push it back in or something?!?!?!  but it will probably just go back out a few days later....

• Options

I dont have a thyroid cyst but do have hypothyroidism and i take my medicine faithfully everyday.

I do have a herniated disc at L5-S1 and a bulging disc at L4-L5. So I definitely understand the pain and I am very sorry that you are having to deal with it.

If you have insurance I would try a chiropractor. I go see a chiropractor and it helps me alot with the pain. My chiropractor also popped my wrist one time because I was complaining about numbness in my hand and he popped it and it felt so much better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"