Washington Babies
Options

Immersion School - wdyt?

So, my friend - a wonderful SAHM of 2 (aged 5.5 and just 4) just pulled her 5 year old out of 1/2 day K (where he loved his teacher and school) and put him in French Immersion School. She plans to put DS2 there next year in Pre-K as well.

They are not French, do not speak French, and do not plan to learn French. Although they did travel to France this summer.

She was not happy with her local Pre-K, hence their search. Enrolling DS1 was not planned but he loved the school at parent orientation, and since they don't allow non-French speaking kids past K, it was now or never to start him too.

The teacher speaks only French to the students, but they can answer back in English. I think about 25% of the "day" (free time) is in English as it is also supposed to be an immersion for 100% French kids as well. They have no plans to really learn French, but will probably pick some up. She said other parents who've had kids there for years don't speak French at all.

Does this seem odd to you? They live within walking distance to a "10" elementary they love - and that she was very involved with. Being an ex K-3 teacher she had a lot to offer, worked in the class a lot - which she is not allowed to do at the new school - so now that part of her identity is gone too. I just feel this is such an ODD move and will make their lives waaaay more complicated (school is farther, 2 schools right now etc).

I totally see how being bilingual will be a huge advantage and now is the time to do it...but, French? A language they don't speak themselves? And what about homework? I'm sure she can still hear all about her kids days as they translate it back to her - which is great practice - but I just see it building a divide too. She is very intelligent and I totally support her decision, but still shaking my head....am I missing something?

Re: Immersion School - wdyt?

• Options

I don't think it is odd at all.  We've actually looked into enrolling Lucy in French Immersion school and may still do it.  Our 2 top choices for daycare both had other languages spoke in addition to English (Mandarain, Cantonese, Farsi).  Right now, Lucy goes to daycare where they speak English and Farsi.

My cousins, who are now 10 & 12 have grown up going to Catholic French school as well as Chinese school.

Being able to speak multiple languages is very beneficial I think and opens a lot of doors not only for schooling, but for work, and cultural benefits.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think it's odd and would probably put my kid in a French immersion school if we have a kid. My stepsons primary language is French.My stepsons are in French school but do have English class. They are learning all their French subjects in English also.

I have friends that put their kids in Chinese immersion school... either speak Chinese or are Chinese. They *love it* and so do the kids. It's a similar format where the teachers only speak Chinese. They do all subjects in Chinese but do have part of the day for English.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it's odd, either.  Once you learn a second language, it's much easier to learn a third or fourth.  Being bilingual would be a huge advantage to give to your child.  In my mind, education is never a bad idea or waste of time.  Even if the child doesn't use French later in life, the thinking skills and cultural experience of learning another language are beneficial.
  • Options

I fully expect that my child will learn lots of things that I don?t know. Whether it?s because it?s new science, I forgot it, or was never exposed; I am not going to inhibit his education because I don?t know it myself.  Conversely, I expect there are lots I things I was taught that he will never learn, like the 1995 tax code.

I think any language is valuable.  My high school Spanish has allowed me to figure out what different things mean in other languages, even though I never mastered Spanish. 

When I was in school, Japanese was all the rage to learn, much as Chinese is now.  Japanese isn?t in demand the way it was predicted and the same might happen to Chinese. We can?t predict what will be the language to know in 20 years time.

I might send DS to Catholic school, even though I no longer identify as Catholic.  Doesn?t mean there is not a lot of value there.
  • Options
    I don't think it's strange. My cousin goes tonthe Spanish immersion school in Bellevue and has hada great experience. It's fantastic for your brain to be bilingual. And it requires a lot of parent involvement and commitent which I think leads to a richer school experience in general. And you know you're in a group of students who have families that are involved and place an emphasis on education.
  • Options

I would just question French, particularly if there are no family or cultural ties.  I think Spanish, Mandarin, or Hindi would be more useful.  Though French is definitely the prettiest language, so maybe that's why?

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Interesting...

Like I said, I completely see the benefits of being bi or tri-lingual, no doubt...just curious since it's a language they do not speak nor plan to learn. That and I am all about simplifying life, but more power to them. In looking up French it suprisingly shows (in some stats) as #2 just behind Spanish as most useful (!)

I tutored for 4 years in an ESL learning center to kids K-9 (predominantly Ethiopian) whose parents did not speak much English. Very bright kids but still assimilating and therefore had to come to the center to get help on homework due to language barriers at home. I guess I'm thinking of that more than anything...

Regardless, I see these boys all the time so it will definitely be an interesting journey to watch!

• Options
    I have a good friend who is a teacher at the spanish immersion school here in bellevue.  It sounds like such an amazing program and its almost impossible to get into here because its so popular.  You have to get in my a lottery, though younger siblings would automatically get in.  I think its an amazing opportunity, they say if you learn a 2nd language young that it then becomes fairly easy to pick up other languages as well.
    imageimage Brothers! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"