Infertility
Options

Has anyone gone through IVF and NOT gained weight?

Okay... super vain post.....

I am finally back to a size 6-8 after 5 years and am so happy to be back here.  So far so good on maintaining weight on suppression drugs, but I'm really nervous about stims. 

The last time I did this I gained about 10-12 pounds right away, but I was also no holds barred on my diet and eating tons of junk food.  I went on a cleanse afterwards and lost it all pretty quickly, so I know that it's largely water retention and bloat.  But I am really going to work hard this cycle to keep my weight as close to stable as possible.  has anyone tried this and been successful?  G told me to just focus on myself for IVF and forget about the weight, but I don't want to gain like crazy again.  I remember feeling so fat before and I was miserable.

I think I'm just scared  :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone gone through IVF and NOT gained weight?

• Options

I'm really on top of my weight...i have to watch and i'm from a heavy family.

Sadly, I gained about 5lbs from the cycle.  Then i got a BFP, and gained more (i blame PIO).  After the mc i was so mad about the gain, and no pregnancy to show for it.

I DO hope someone says they did not gain weight, and we can learn from them :)

• Options

Hey lady!

I gained 15 pounds when I went off the pill thanks to my PCOS.  But I didn't gain anything when going through my IVF cycles.  

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did not gain anything with either of my cycles until I got my BFP.  It seemed like I packed on 5 pounds as soon as I saw two lines.  It was very odd that it happened so quickly.
  • Options
    imagekimarino13:

Hey lady!

I gained 15 pounds when I went off the pill thanks to my PCOS.  But I didn't gain anything when going through my IVF cycles.  

yes buddy!!  Thank you!!!!!  Did you change anything about your diet to counter act stims or did you just maintain everything as is?

• Options
    I definitely gain some weight. A lot is water weight, but I am also depressed & not being "good."

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Options
    imagekaterena:
    imagekimarino13:

Hey lady!

yes buddy!!  Thank you!!!!!  Did you change anything about your diet to counter act stims or did you just maintain everything as is?

Nope, didn't change a thing.  And ditto Lindsey about immediately gaining 5 lbs with the two lines.  Same here, and I sort of freaked, but I am sure it was just water.

Congrats on size 6-8.  I would love to be a 6-8, but my 8-10 ass is too lazy to diet or exercise.  Stick out tongue

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I gain about 5 lbs of water weight each IVF, but lose it just as quickly.

I wouldn't stress your body out while you're cycling with a strict diet, just eat healthfully and drink a lot of water. And expect to bloat out. All those growing follies take up a lot of space!

GL!

+++
  • Options
    I did not gain any weight during my IVF cycle.  For my FET I gained 5 lbs on lupron, but then lost it immediately after stopping it.
  • Options

I haven't gained anything yet, either -- although I can tell I've lost some muscle mass from not working out over the past few weeks. We'll see what the 2ww/PIO brings.

Over the past 2 months, I upped my protein and "good fat" intake slightly, tried to lower carbs a little bit (tried is the key word here!), and drank a lot of h2o.

4 Clomid cycles + 3 IUIs w/ injectables + 1 IVF = 1 m/c, 1 ectopic
    FET May 2011 = BFP! Beta 1 (8dp5dt): 336, Beta 2 (12dp5dt): 2033, Beta 3 (14dp5dt): 4706

? So thankful for our little guys, born at 33 weeks. ?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I gained 6 pounds when I stimmed back in November, and it looks like I'm up another 4 since being on Lupron for my FET.  DH is very fit and I feel self-conscious that I have gained so much in such a short time.  BUT I keep telling myself that I don't want to make any radical changes right now and shock my body, so I will worry about losing any and all weight gain after the baby(ies) are born.
  • Options

This post is making me sooooo happy and relieved!!!!!!!  I won't stress if I can keep the weight gain under 5 pounds.  I just don't want to do anything drastic with diet, this is hard enough.  I feel like I eat pretty well already, lots of fish, beans and other lean proteins, tons of veggies and mostly dark green ones, fruits and a modest amount of dairy and whole grain carbs.  I also let the odd cupcake or pizza slice in and have a bar of dark chocolate with almonds sitting in my fridge that I break a square off every now and again when I have a craving.  I'm also a popcorn addict but limit it to once or twice per week.  So, not a perfect diet, but pretty balanced on the whole. 

I'm so glad that others were able to go through this without any huge effects, thank you!!

• Options
    imagekaterena:

This post is making me sooooo happy and relieved!!!!!!!  I won't stress if I can keep the weight gain under 5 pounds.  I just don't want to do anything drastic with diet, this is hard enough.  I feel like I eat pretty well already, lots of fish, beans and other lean proteins, tons of veggies and mostly dark green ones, fruits and a modest amount of dairy and whole grain carbs.  I also let the odd cupcake or pizza slice in and have a bar of dark chocolate with almonds sitting in my fridge that I break a square off every now and again when I have a craving.  I'm also a popcorn addict but limit it to once or twice per week.  So, not a perfect diet, but pretty balanced on the whole. 

I'm so glad that others were able to go through this without any huge effects, thank you!!

Sounds like you're doing great! And, hey -- there is nothing wrong with giving in to a good craving every now and again. :)

4 Clomid cycles + 3 IUIs w/ injectables + 1 IVF = 1 m/c, 1 ectopic
    FET May 2011 = BFP! Beta 1 (8dp5dt): 336, Beta 2 (12dp5dt): 2033, Beta 3 (14dp5dt): 4706

? So thankful for our little guys, born at 33 weeks. ?
  • Options

i did with my first ivf but not with my FETs. so far for this ivf i have only gained 3 lbs. only stimming for 3 days so i guess we will see by weeks end =O 

if anyone has secrets/tips please share =) 

::PAIF/SAIF Welcome::

TTC since July 2008
    IUI 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF #1 C/P, FET 1,2,3 BFN
    IVF#2 BFP

it's a girl!!

• Options
    imagekaterena:

I think your diet sounds great! I have a piece of dark chocolate every night.

During my IVF cycle I was also on a high protein diet/very limited carbs. So, maybe that was another reason I didn't gain anything?  

• Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I am so scared I did all this work to lose weight and our first IVF won't work and I will have to take another extended break to lose weight again. But this gives me hope I will be able to maintain weight some what during my cycle.
  • Options
    I gained water weight from being overstimulated to a degree-but as soon as I stopped the meds after my negative beta I lost it all!
  • Options

i did not gain weight from ivf #1. in fact, i lost several pounds and was at my lowest weight in prolly 3 years.

i maintained that weight loss for the last several months and so far for ivf #2 after 2 days of stims, i am down a few more pounds. not really sure why, but hey i'll take it!

i'm *trying* to be good about what i eat - limited starches (no white potatoes at all), and 80% of the time i try to make my starches whole grain. i also try to bulk up my meals with veggies and snack on fruit or nuts.

• Options
    I gained about 5 lbs this time around. I'm already starting to notice a decrease since ER, so I'm sure it's just water weight. Congrats on living such a healthy lifestyle!! I could definitley learn a thing.... or tweleve.... from you :)
    Crohn's resulting in colectomy with J-Pouch surgery in 2000/2001.
    TTC since August 2008
    IVF#1: BFFN; IVF#2: BFN; FET with new RE: BFN
    IVF#3: ER 1/15; ET 1/20; Beta#1 1/29: 339!
    Twins girls born via c/s at 37w/3d!!
    "Let it go, this too shall pass."
  • Options

I didn't gain any either.  I didn't change my eating habits during my IVF cycles. I also kept exercising.  After starting stims, I was told no exercise until beta, so I would cut out my workouts at the gym.  Instead I took the dog on longer walks to try to make up for it.  Walking helps when I am stressed too. So, I guess that is my tip.  Walk. :)

• Options
    Nope no weight gain from my ivf cycle..

Dx: PCOS, Anovulatory, Amenorrhea 2006
    TTC: Sept 2008
    IVF#1 Cancelled due to breast biopsy.05/01/20

IVF#1.2- 9/2010 - Cancelled Oversurpressed

IVF#2 Microdose Lupron 10/2010 Beta 11/09=BFN
    IVF#3 2/2011 - 2 blasts(2/25) Beta 03/11 =BFN
    IVF#4 Lupron 01/02 =2 blasts, beta's 1-4 198,234,398,3100!!BFP
    FET 3/2014 2 blasts BETA 3/20=BFP TWINS EDD 11/27 TEAM PINK!!!                   

• Options

So far (transfer is tomorrow) I haven't gained any weight. I'm starting to get a little bloated though, from all of the freakin' progesterone that I'm on.

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Options
    I gained weight during stims (could only wear sweatpants), but lost much of it a few days after transfer.  Still have a little pooch from taking progesterone, but that's nothin' compared to how I was before ET.
  • Options
    Honestly, my weight was the last thing on my mind when I was cycling.  I didn't gain much, if anything maybe a few lbs., but I was plenty bloated.  GL.
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"