Military Families
Options

Is your commisary worth it?

I shopped there today after doing a lot more research on prices at my local stores and I found them to be cheaper on a lot of things.

I think you really really need to know your prices first but I may be making the switch! It's close, but I think with the option to use coupons too I could definetly come out ahead!

Where do you do your grocery shopping?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is your commisary worth it?

• Options

Our commisary is worth it for many items - cereals, non perishables, and some meats.  It is not worth it for produce because it is often about a day from spoiling.  I would rather pay a little more at store that stocks fresher produce and not have to throw away a bunch of stuff.  The commisary at our current location is very small so I end up supplementing a lot out in town. 

Overall, yes, I think the commisary is a good deal.  We as a family do not shop at Wal Mart (ever) but I know some families claim that it is cheaper or similar in price to the commisary.  Especially when you subtract tipping the bagger.

• Options
    We do not live on base so we do our grocery shopping at Walmart. I know a lot of people put down Walmart for whatever reason, but we definitely have one of the nicest ones just 2 minutes up the road from us. The commissary is about a 20 minute drive away. So I guess everyone's approach will be different depending on where they live, what they buy, etc. I just always find that Walmart (for us) is much, much cheaper. Plus I'm a coupon fanatic, so that always helps too!
    TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We stock up on meat at the commissary. Our dogs food is also cheaper. 
  • Options
    I go to the commissary maybe once every 3-6 months.  Most things I can find cheaper at Walmart (we have a pretty nice one), especially because I have the option of buying generic there.  Almost anything that's not cheaper at Walmart, I can find cheapest at Sam's.  Plus I don't like feeling pressured to tip someone $5+ for throwing my stuff in bags and/or walking it out to my car. 
  • Options

We have 2 commissaries close (AF & Army) then our Navy one is about 20 minutes. We shop there all of the time. The meat is cheaper and so is the milk and OJ, plus I have found the the produce is fresher than at places like Walmart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Its all I got and its crappy lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I shop Sam's and Publix, Sam's for the paper, meat, and produce, we go through fruit like crazy. I will the extra money to avoid Walmart and Publix's private label is pretty cheap. The Commissary here is small and 30mins away so I tend to go what is right down the street. At our last post, I always shopped the Commissary, but we also lived on post too. 
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The commissary is definitely better on prices for lots of things, but I'm not a fan of their meat or produce. When I lived 30 min from post at DH's last duty station, I just shopped at the local Winn Dixie or Publix and figured the savings were evened out in time/gas savings. Now that I live 5 min from the commissary, I use it for most of our canned/dry/paper goods, and then I go to Trader Joe's for meat and specialty foods. The draw of shopping at Walmart is lost on me because they have no brand selection and half the time I can't get what I consider common foods at all (like frozen spinach - what grocery store doesn't carry frozen spinach??).
  • Options
    It isn't worth it.  It is way too small and not in a convenient location to access for myself from our house (too far away to drive) and for DH for where he works on base.  I'll take a shorter drive and more selection.
  • Options

I shop at the commissary, Kroger, and walmart. Produce, meat, paper towels, TP, canned goods, and diary are cheaper at the commissary but I don't always find organic products there so I have to go to three different places now. I miss our old base with our fantastic commissary where I did all our shopping. I guess it depends on cost of living and the individual commissary.

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I shop at the commisary.  It's nice and I find it cheaper than other stores around here.  I don't usually buy produce because it's not always fresh.  Although their apples, lettuce, and grapes are generally fine.
  • Options
    I avoid Walmart at all costs because I don't agree with some of their business practices. I shop at the commissary for better prices and supplement at Giant for selection and fresher produce. I go to Wegmans, when I can, because it rocks and reminds me of home. I'll be happy when they open their new store near Fort Belvoir!
  • Options
    We buy everything at the commisary (at Ft. Campbell). It is so much cheaper! We save almost $30 a trip just by going there instead of Walmart, so IMO it's definitely worth the long lines!
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • Options
    I live on base so the commissary is so close that it wouldnt make sense to leave and go to walmart (about a 15 min drive). Our commissary isn't AMAZING but its nice. The meat is really cheap, the deli has a great selection, and we have in store fresh made sushi!
    imageimage
  • Options
    We have two commissaries "near" us and I've been to neither. They are 30+ minutes away unless there's traffic then they could be over an hour one way. No thank you. I'll just shop at the local store down the road. DH prefers to go to Walmart but I refuse. At our last post I went to the commissary only when I needed something quick because they really lacked in selection and when they did typically stock something I needed I'd be overly frustrated when the shelf was bare. Apparently ours just had a problem with inventory control.
  • Options
    We live in a very HCOL city and definitely think its worth it to shop at the commissary. 
  • Options
    I like shopping at the commissary a lot. Less people, same stuff as any other store, usually cleaner and their meats are normally cheaper/better.
    Sometimes it's okay to follow. (Picture is a clicky)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Our commisary is big and really nice. We live very close too. With two babies, I like the help out to my car and think it's worth it.
  • Options

imagehellopoppyseed:
    Our commisary is big and really nice. We live very close too. With two babies, I like the help out to my car and think it's worth it.

This.  Two years ago I didn't care.  Now it is a huge help and worth a few bucks in tip.

• Options

our commissary is a WAY better deal on meat, that's for sure. Other than it seems to tuen out even.

I try to avoid walmart if possible just because the money I might save on food comes out even after I add in sales tax and all the other non-grocery crap that somehow found its way into my cart that I "needed."

• Options
    It is for some things, you are correct. Coupons make a world of a difference.I started buying formula there. Their prices were a little lower than Target and Walmart, plus, I used formula checks which made it that much lower. There is a surcharge, but it's not as much as tax would be.
  • Options
    i shop mostly at the commisary. except when it comes to most produce. since we are on wic i like to get my fruits and veggies at albertsons or safeway. they last SO much longer. also i dont mind tipping the baggers, its usually only $3 but i usually just budget it in. but if it is a small trip i usually do the self check out which is 40 or less and then i dont have to pay a bagger.
  • Options
    we get everything we possibly can from the commissary. we don't like to shop at wal-mart because we believe that they have unethical practices, and a lot of the prices are better than at target, winn-dixie, publix, etc for groceries. for stuff we can't find at the commissary we try to find at publix or target. the prices are so much better and we save so much money. i like how the receipt prints out how much money you saved using coupons by the dollar figure as well as the percentage. we clip the coupons from the sunday paper and we also use the military coupons we find in the store. our monthly grocery bill is usually $300 less than what we would have spent shopping at civilian grocery store, but that's with coupon savings.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"