Multiples

Recovering from long-term bedrest -- Tips?

I've been on bed rest for nearly 10 weeks and hope to last another 4.  I was in fairly decent shape before, and the physical deterioration has been staggering.  I nap all the time and can hardly stand to brush my teeth!  

So my concerns are two-fold.  I'm worried about being able to mother these babies and about ever getting my body/strength/endurance back.  First, and most pressing:  how in the world am I going to have the stamina to take care of two babies?  Second, at what point did you feel back to normal and what did you do to get there?  I'd love to think that I'll get some time to exercise, but realistically I think I'll be lucky if we all get through the first three months unscathed.  

Also, is there anything that you did to prep yourself while still on bedrest?  Any advice would be helpful.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: Recovering from long-term bedrest -- Tips?

• My girls were born 12/16 via emergency c/s.  I was only on bedrest for 10 days, but I was worthless for weeks up to that point (I went to work, came home and basically crashed every day.  I had to take "rest breaks" in the morning as I got ready because it was too much to do all at once).  I have been surprised at how quickly I have rebounded...I started walking as soon as I was able post c/s and have just been building up since then.  Yesterday we did a 2 mile walk with the girls in the stroller.  It took me almost an hour yesterday, but today it only took 48 minutes.  I am happy with that 2 weeks after surgery.

As far as stamina to take care of two babies, its amazing but you'll find the energy!  I've napped as much as possible when the girls are asleep and I think my cat naps are saving me.  And, exercise is very important to me and I think it's helped me to feel better. After the girls eat around noon each day, we load up the stroller and head out.  It has done wonders for me!

My advice would be to go slow, but to get back to activity ASAP.  Recognize your limitations, but don't hesitate to get out there and moving again! 

• I was on bed rest for 16 weeks and was absolutely fine when the babies came via c/s at 36 weeks.  I felt amazing right away, surprisingly.  I had more energy and felt better than I had in months with them outside of me.  :)

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekimarino13:
    I was on bed rest for 16 weeks and was absolutely fine when the babies came via c/s at 36 weeks.  I felt amazing right away, surprisingly.  I had more energy and felt better than I had in months with them outside of me.  :)

This. I was on bedrest for almost as long and felt fine after the babies were born. I had so much energy. It felt so good to be off bedrest. In some ways, I had more energy than DH who had spent so long caring for me while working a crazy job since all I'd done for the past few months was lay in bed and sleep. If you're in the least bit of decent shape before getting pregnant and going on bedrest, you should be fine afterwards.

• I was on bedrest for 15 weeks and you are already one step ahead of where I was. I stupidly didn't even realize how out of shape I got. It's great that you're thinking about this ahead of time. I don't know what you could do now that would make much of an impact, but once you give birth you can certainly begin your physical recovery. I actually don't recommend exercising right away. Well, technically you're not supposed to until you're cleared by your doctor. My advice is just to take everything slowly after you give birth. I tried to take a walk around the block a few days after giving birth and I felt like dying half way through. I know after being stuck on a couch for so long you'll want to stay as far away from it as possible, but really you need to keep sitting a lot so you don't overdo it. Picking up babies and holding them wasn't a problem for me at all. It was all the walking and standing that just exhausted me. Once I quit trying to be up and around all the time I had enough stamina to do what needed to be done. The adrenaline kicks in so you should be good. Do you have help after your babies are born? If not I would recommend hiring a p.p. doula.

• imagekafunder:

imagekimarino13:
    I was on bed rest for 16 weeks and was absolutely fine when the babies came via c/s at 36 weeks.  I felt amazing right away, surprisingly.  I had more energy and felt better than I had in months with them outside of me.  :)

This. I was on bedrest for almost as long and felt fine after the babies were born. I had so much energy. It felt so good to be off bedrest. In some ways, I had more energy than DH who had spent so long caring for me while working a crazy job since all I'd done for the past few months was lay in bed and sleep. If you're in the least bit of decent shape before getting pregnant and going on bedrest, you should be fine afterwards.

Ditto...I was so happy to be able to walk around.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Notes:
  • I was on pretty much full bedrest for 14 weeks.  The first 7 were in the hospital, and the first 3 of those were even with a catheter so I didn't have to get up and go to the bathroom!  The only times I was up after that was to go to the bathroom and for a very occasional shower, and after about 6 weeks of bedrest, I was allowed to sit up to eat. The physical therapists from the hospital came in and gave me some exercises to try and do, but they triggered contractions, so the exercises got discontinued.

I didn't have the energy/stamina to shower standing (thank goodness for shower seats!), and it took me FOREVER to walk up or down the stairs (once I was home) to go to my doctor's appointments.  Once I had the babies, though, things quickly changed, as the PPs have said!

I had a bad first few days at home post c-section -- I was trying to be Superwoman and not take all my pain meds, which then in turn hampered my mobility because of the pain!  At about a week post-partum, I was getting around as well as I did at probably 20 weeks pg -- tired, a bit slow, but nothing like what I was like further along in the pregnancy and on bedrest!  It got better quickly from there!

After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • I was on bedrest 7 weeks before the girls were born, and severe restrictions for 6 weeks postpartum ( continued high blood pressure.) I began having neck pain when they were about 8 weeks, and I took PT for about 4 weeks, and it helped get my upper body strength back.
  • imagekimarino13:

Same here. I was on bedrest for 16 weeks as well, and had a vaginal delivery. I felt great immediately. It sounds obnoxious, but it's true. I was SO relieved to have the babies with me safe and sound, and all my pregnancy ailments/aches/pains were gone.  I also was finally able to sleep (I had not been able to sleep those last few weeks of pregnancy because I was SO uncomfortable). 

• I was on bedrest from week 23 to when I delivered at 36 weeks.  I did little leg lifts while laying and I used my husbands hand grip things...

I was so worried about being total smush... I will admit that my flexibility was crap when I delivered but came back right away- I am now WAY stronger than I ever way!

I also have more energy than ever before, so stay positive and know that you will bounce back! You'll also look back at bedrest and think how nice it was even if you're miserable now!

• I was on bedrest for about 6 weeks.  And then had a c-section.  I started walking around as soon as I could after the c-section.  That was key!!  As far as energy and stamina, I was like most of the other people and had no problem with that.  The thing I was most pissed about was the total lack of core strength.  But once the 6 week mark passed and I was able to start exercising that came back fairly quickly. 
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I may have an extreme case, and I'm glad to see others with extended bedrest recovered fairly quickly. 

I was on bedrest from 13wks till girls were born at 33 1/2 wks. 

During one of my hosp stays a physical therapist came to see me about exercises, but there wasn't much I could do other than some stretching.  I had too many cx and racing heart rates all the time.  If your doc approves some exercises from bed that could be helpful though. 

My c/s recovery was horrible.  I felt like I had zero core strength and was in alot of pain.  At 4 or 6wks pp I finally asked my doc for some PT, and did that for about 6wks.  It helped alot, but I wish I'd asked for PT upon release from the hosp.  I was so miserable that I could hardly walk and used a wheel chair the 2wks while girls were in nicu. 

Should mention I have a clotting disorder and wasn't allowed ibuprophen (except once/day) and for me ibuprophen works wonders compared to percocet by itself. 

I always considered myself to be in pretty good shape, but probably wasn't in my best shape going into the pg as I wasn't comfortable exercising during my IVFs and then was on restricted activity right at 6wks when I had a big bleed.  It took me many months pp to physically feel somewhat normal. 

GL, and don't feel bad to get extra physical help when babies come, and talk to your doc about PT in case you think you'll need it. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It took me several weeks to have strength to fully care for the twins alone.  I was shocked, mad, sad, and depressed to feel so horrible after the c/s.  My body is not the same.. muscle tone turned to flab in some places, especially legs.  

I had pre-eclampsia pretty severely at the end, though, so that could be why I felt so cruddy postpartum.  By 6 weeks pp, though, I was feeling much more frisky, and I'm feeling great now.  I'm nowhere near where I was before getting pregnant, though!!  It's going to take a long time to get back to that.

I'd say that if you're gaining LOTS of weight and having a complicated pregnancy, it might be a good idea to make sure you have lots of support for caring for the babies after they are born.  I had my hubby, then my MIL for 2 weeks after he went back to work.  I NEEDED them to cook for me, clean, do laundry, walk the dog.  COuldn't have done it alone.  Good luck....... and keep us posted! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nothing to share, jsut wanted to say thank you for this post.  I am already worrying about being put on bed rest...
    BFP 11/09...M/C 1/27/10...TTCAL 3/2010...IUI #1 9/2010 = BFN IUI #2 10/29/2010 = TWINS! EDD 7/25/2010 C-SECTION 7/7/11 at 37.5wks due to severe pre-eclampsia. Liliana born 6lb7oz and Anthony born 5lb4oz Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all!  For the most part these responses have been incredibly reassuring... and much better than I expected!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Honestly I did not have issues either. I was not in exceptional shape (like from a cardiovascular/muscular standpoint, although a normal weight) before 10 weeks of bedrest but the emotional toll was harder (sleep depr, etc) than physical for me post-babies. I lost all my baby weight by about 12 weeks and most of it by 8 weeks and I didn't even breastfeed. I'm totally out of shape now, 17 months later & am finally getting motivated to start excercising more (outside of walks w/ the kids, etc). I work full time & have never been a big exerciser so it hasn't been a priority since I was lucky enough to not struggle w/ post pg weight.

I think a lot is just good old genetics/body type. I think that you will do fine if you go back to regular activity & try not to put too much pressure on yourself in the beginning to get into shape or anything, you'll get there eventually! 

• Agree with all the PPs about the adrenaline, feeling great after being able to finally walk around, and finding the strength to care for babies etc. I was wide awake for the three days after delivery.. pumped every 3 hours, no problem! That being said, having one person to help you cook, clean, maybe wash pump parts/bottles is invaluable. 

I was on complete hospital bed rest for 10 weeks, showering once a day. If you have a physiotherapist in the hospital, she/he may be able to teach you some exercises to help retain flexibility. 

The only thing I would add is that you should go slow after your delivery, especially if you have a C section. I had incredibly swollen feet after the delivery because I had been lying down for too long and simply standing and walking made it horrendous. It took two weeks for the swelling to go away.

As for your second question, rest and walking when you can is the answer. Sleep as much as you can. Don't even think of exercise till you hit 6 weeks post partum. You have to be kind to your body because you've been through an ordeal. I did feel pretty human by the time I was 6 weeks PP. I started exercise maybe 2-3 months PP. YMMV but please at least rest for 6 weeks (assuming a c section. If you're vaginal delivery then you could be mobile a lot quicker!)

GL with the babies and your recovery. :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"