Potty Training
Options

Son won't poop on Potty

My son will be 3 in February and has been pee trained for almost 4 months now. We did the whole 3 day potty training thing and he was peeing in the potty by himself by the second day and hasn't had an accident since, but here we are 4 months later and he still won't poop on the toilet. I let him poop in his underwear for close to 3 weeks when we started and then I gave in and started putting pull ups on him when he told me he had to poop. So then he would poop on the toilet, but with the pull up on. This lasted probably another 3 weeks and then I started to cut holes in them. I figured if he just saw that it was ok that the poop went in the potty he'd be fine and would then go without it. But that didn't happen. He still would insist on having the diaper on. So for the past couple of weeks we have told him that once the pull-ups were gone he had to poop on the toilet without them. This happened a few days ago. He went for 2 days without pooping (he usually poops at least twice a day) and then when he finally couldn't hold it for any longer he ran around the house for 2 hours in a panic screaming that he had to poop. He would run in and out of the bathroom several times. He'd ask for help, so I'd go in there and he'd run back out. I would make him sit on the toilet and he would kick and scream for a diaper. We repeatedly told him no more diapers and he continued the outburst until he finally just pooped in his pants. This happened again this morning. I left him naked thinking then he would have no choice, so he went in the bathroom and just pooped on the floor. My husband and I (along with friend/family/teacher) are all baffled. We have no idea what to do. We have tried (throughout this entire process) every form of bribery from going somewhere, to candy/cookies/ice cream, to every type of his favorite toy. We have always said he will just do it when he's ready, but how long do we let this go on? What do we do? It's frustrating knowing that he is perfectly capable of doing it, but for some reason just won't. It's nice that at least he tells us and with putting on the pull up he never has an accident, but we want to put him in preschool when he turns 3 and he has to be fully potty trained. Anybody have any suggestions? I feel like we have tried everything!!!! HELP!!! And thank you!

Re: Son won't poop on Potty

• Options

hmmmm....that's interesting.  I think simple is the way I would go if I were you.

No more pull-ups/diapers.

When he needs to go take him to the potty.  Don't force him to sit.  If he stays great, if he doesn't no biggie.  Let him have accidents in underwear.  But make a huge deal about how yucky it is when you clean it and reinforce that poo goes in the potty.  When he does go in the potty FINALLY make a HUGE deal about it, much like you did when you first started potty training.  have a party.  call peeps.  major rewards that are of VALUE to HIM.

Important since it seems that he is attached to his poo:  DON'T FLUSH IT IMMEDIATLY.  (Gross I know.)  Once he has had a chance to hang and the party is over, let HIM flush it.  Have a bye-bye party.

I think this is what I would do, eventually he wont like the sensation of pooping in his undies and will prefer the potty. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"