Stay at Home Moms
Options

Lurking from 1st tri

Hi ladies!  Just a quick question.  I'm wrapping up my first tri and DH and I are discussing options and right now it looks like I'll be SAHM for at least a year after the baby is born.  I'm not the greatest housekeeper bc DH works from home and tends to work like a tornado when he's working, so I just sort of clean things as needed.  I've heard from some friends that it would be advantageous to make a cleaning schedule now to get into a routine that I can follow after LO is here.  Does anyone else do this, or do you just sort of take it as it comes and when you have the time?  Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lurking from 1st tri

• Options

I think writing down what chores you would like to get done each day is a good idea, but scheduling them as far as timing will be impossible with a baby.  Once he/she falls into a routine, you'll know what times your LO will nap and do stuff then.  For example, LO naps from 9-11 and from 2-5 every day, so that is when I get stuff down.  I hope that helps, good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with the PP that your LO will be calling the shots for a little while.  I have days of the week I do major things such as Monday's I do LO's laundry, change her sheets & changing mat cover.  Tuesday's I wash all the towels & balance the checkbook & pay bills.  I don't give myself too many things to do on a particular day, instead I spread them out over M-F.  When LO was a NB it was hard for me to get anything done at all that didn't involve feeding, changing & making sure things were done for her.  GL, it is a lot easier once your LO gets in a routine.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't stick to a cleaning schedule.  We have good days and bad days, so naturally some days I am able to get more things done.  Trying to set a routine during the first few months will probably just lead to frustration.  I would try to organize things as much as you can before the baby comes.  Having a specific place for everything keeps things a lot neater.  You may want to consider having a place in your living room or wherever you spend the more time for a few baby things like a few diapers, a blanket, and a thing of wipes so you are not having to run to the nursery all of the time and you don't end up with diapers thrown about.  I have a little basket and as DD got older I started using it for toys.  I'd love to get one of those storage ottomans.

Start making a list of things you can do before the baby comes so you don't forget about it or have to worry about it.  Like changing air filters and stuff that you don't do that often.

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Options
    I am not super domestic, so I got a housekeeper. I still have to do plenty of straightening, but at least it gets cleaned well 2X a month.
  • Options
    My husband also works from home. Make sure he has a designated office- with a door. Especially if he has conference calls. You will not be able to keep the baby quiet all the time. And you also won't be able to run a vacuum whenever you want either. We live in a true loft and are going to be moving really soon. I also agree with the other posters, the cleaning schedule comes second to LO's schedule. Especially the 1st month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The first few months were survival mode. I spent most my time BF and taking care of LO. He hated being put down and it was a big adjustment. I would straiten up but the house was not my priority.

But now we have a system that works for us. I have a binder with all my home stuff. I can check off daily task so by bed the are all done. I tend to do a bit here and there since LO is takes shorter naps. So I will wash dishes while he plays in the highchair after breakfast. I'll wipe down the sink while I brush my teeth, etc...

The bigger stuff I do during nap time. I have a place in my binder that has weekly and bi weekly chores and I spread them out a and do a few each day. I also have a laundry list that helps. Like Sundays I wash LO's clothes, Tuesdays ours, Wednesdays are towels, etc... and  I fold one basket a day (or I try.....).

But it does not always go like planned and life with a baby is hectic! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"