VBAC
Options

Iris or anyone else who may know...

I had my daughter by c-section last December. In researching this online, there have been women who were told to wait 2 years from their c-section date to TTC again in order to give the scar sufficient time to heal.

I got pregnant with this baby when Emma was 6 months old. When I told my OB I was pregnant she was less than thrilled for me...her response was "Uh geez." This was hurtful to me since I've trusted her with my life and that of my children for years. Her personal opinion wasn't needed...anyway.

Since this next delivery could be coming 14-15 months from the last c-section date is VBAC not an option for me because I got pregnant so soon? Have there been other women here who VBAC successfully from a recent c-section?

At my next appointment, I'd like to be as informed and educated as I can be.

Re: Iris or anyone else who may know...

• Options

I have heard that it is 2 years between deliveries, not to TTC. My OB is letting me attempt a VBAC with 23 months in between deliveries.

You OB sounds like a real peach.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMoMandA:

I have heard that it is 2 years between deliveries, not to TTC. My OB is letting me attempt a VBAC with 23 months in between deliveries.

You OB sounds like a real peach.  

I've never had any grief from her before in the 11+ years I've been seeing her. She knew DH and I wanted another baby and we didn't plan to get pregnant this soon. Now that I've been going to her again for my check ups, she knows I've been having low back to inner thigh contractions frequently (though my cervix is still long and shut) her attitude towards me has changed. She's back to being her bubbly self so I'm not sure if I caught her at bad times.

I want to make the best informed decision I can about VBAC. I'd like to think I can deliver a baby vaginally, especially since my cancer scarred cervix was 100% effaced with Emma. I never thought that could happen. When I learned it was, I was thrilled thinking maybe I can do this and have my baby. But nope, epidural was in, heart problems started and off we went to the OR.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had been told that I had to have 18 months between deliveries.  My two were 27 months apart.  I haven't heard of anyone ever VBACing that close together but I don't know if it is medically a good idea or not.

I am sure you caught her at a bad moment and she meant to think that rather than say it out loud;-)  Maybe she knew you wanted to VBAC but knows that the hospital may not allow it or something.  Definitely talk about it at your next appt.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    VBAC is always an option, but you have to find a provider willing to let you (and I hate how that sounds, but it's true). You risk of rupture is just higher, but I'm not sure what the actual numbers are.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

Here is a study finding that if you have an interdelivery interval of less than 19 months, you still have a very good chance of VBAC and the rate of UR is about the same:

https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2002/01000/Interdelivery_Interval_and_the_Success_of_Vaginal.9.aspx

There are some other studies showing that the risk of UR increases but overall is still low. 

https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/abstract/2001/02000/interdelivery_interval_and_risk_of_symptomatic.3.aspx

^^This study found fairly high rates of UR for a shorter interdelivery interval, but it also shows a pretty high UR rate for VBACs overall, higher than many other studies.  So take that for what it's worth. 

https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Abstract/2007/11000/Short_Interpregnancy_Interval__Risk_of_Uterine.20.aspx

^^This study also finds a higher UR risk for a short interpregnancy interval.   

Keep in mind that this is only one factor influencing the risk of UR, so it's not absolute and it doesn't mean that you cannot have a VBAC.  It's probably just a matter of finding a doctor who will do a VBAC with you.  There is a poster on here who had a VBAC only 13 months after her c/s and her doctor was very supportive.

GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

There are two girls who have posted here who had VBACs around 13-14 months after their c/s, one was Rachi07 (I can never remember her full SN here) and CrazeyJaney. Janey had twins. I know some docs will do it. Good luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"