Postpartum Depression
Options

New to board - PP anxiety?

I have to tell this to someone and so far I haven't decided if I'm telling anyone IRL other than FI so you ladies it is.

I had a breakdown last night. It was terrifying.

Ever since I had DD (in April), I've been struggling with panic and anxiety. It's been bad but I've been coping well.

Until last night. DD woke up - totally out of character for her - to eat a bottle around 2 a.m. I fed her and then it was time to put her back to bed and I just couldn't. I couldn't make myself do it. I was terrified something bad would happen and convinced she would die in her sleep if I put her back in her crib. I woke up FI, sobbing hysterically. DD was bewildered. He took her to her crib and came back and I sobbed for what seemed like forever.

Finally I was so exhausted I fell asleep... at 4 a.m. I got up at 7 and of course DD was fine.

I took DD to the doctor this morning for her cough and while we were there I told him about it. He is putting me on a low-dose anti-depressant and treating me for postpartum anxiety/panic now, which I guess is like postpartum depression but with an emphasis on panic attacks and severe anxiety?

I am hoping I feel better in a couple weeks. I am not sure how I feel about this now. I feel a little bad or guilty for some reason for needing help, which isn't like me at all. I'm trying to remind myself that it's not a reflection of my abilities as a mom and just hoping that getting better will make me an even better mother for DD.
DD Lea 04/21/10
DS Nathan 12/4/12
BFP: 3/31/15 EDD: 12/4/15

MC: 7/2011, 12/2011

Re: New to board - PP anxiety?

• Options
    I'm so glad you told someone. You will be so happy you did someday- I promise. I was so scared my doctor would think I was crazy. I would wake up with panic attacks so badly that I was afraid to go to sleep. I also had a lot of depression issues going on, but not all people deal with both. It turned out that she was super supportive and I quickly found meds that made a huge difference. A year later I'm so glad I got help when I did. I hate to think of all the things I would have missed out on if I hadn't ask for help. Good luck!
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"