Parenting after 35
Options

confessions from a scrooge

Too much family, too much money spent, too many expectations and too much weight gain. 

I really dislike this time of year.

Sure, I put on a happy face and enjoy the "magic" my children experience Christmas day but, I have to admit, on 12/26 I'm ready to dismantle the tree and pack up all the stuff until next year. 

I feel like the only mother in the world that feels this way. Years from now I can see myself on a cruise during Christmas... with sun on my back and a drink in my hand. 

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
Big - 1 year old
Bigger - 6 years old
Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: confessions from a scrooge

• Options

This time of year I am always so thankful to be Jewish, as I watch all the chaos and stress around me. I don't know how everyone does it! I am jealous of all the yummy Christmas cookies and sweets though!

Hang in there, it's almost over!!

• Options
    I'm with you, I hate it too!  To me this time of year means work, work, and more work, mixed with snowstorms.  Bah Humbug!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesnwfields:

This time of year I am always so thankful to be Jewish, as I watch all the chaos and stress around me. I don't know how everyone does it! I am jealous of all the yummy Christmas cookies and sweets though!

I am also Jewish and we usually do Jewish Christmas: Chinese food and a movie. Plus, my H always works on Christmas eve and day (they always put the Jewish guy on call :).

I am jealous of all the excitement though, and the gift exchange,

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageateytelb:
    imagesnwfields:

I am also Jewish and we usually do Jewish Christmas: Chinese food and a movie. Plus, my H always works on Christmas eve and day (they always put the Jewish guy on call :).

Yes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I use to feel that way until a few years ago when I decided if I did not do it, it would be alright.  That means I stopped doing things I did not enjoy.  No Christmas cards, no baking, and I make sure that I do all the Church activites to keep in touch with the "Reason for the Season."

However, this is the first holiday with everything at my house.  I will let you know how I feel on 12-26.

• Options
    Amen, sister! I've never enjoyed shopping, but I really started to dislike Christmas after my mom died. That year I didn't do gifts (except for nieces/nephews) or cards, etc. I really resented the consumerism of it all and the shallow expectations. It just was so far removed from what it should be about. I remember that year instead of buying some cheesy gift, I donated blood. And felt great about it.
  • Options
    I'll sign up for that cruise!
  • Options
    imageateytelb:
    imagesnwfields:

Me too! Though no movie this year?no babysitter and I think Aaron is too young to join us. I don't want to be one of "those" people who bring a screaming baby (toddler) to a movie theater.

I am envious of all the lights and all the decorations. But I can imagine how stressful this time can be. I'm grateful that there really isn't any expectations like that in my religion. Hanukkah gifts only started as a way to make Jewish children feel included this time of year.  Otherwise it was just lighting candles, playing dreidel and giving gelt (chocolate or real coins) to remember the miracle.

Kari, I'm sure other people feel that way but aren't brave enough to say so.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    this is the first christmas in probably 20 years i've been excited. as a child of a divorce, i was pulled from one family to the other and it was a competition and NO THANKS. ugh. hate the holidays!... but this year... this year is just so different because i'm a big old sap now and my heart is so damn full it's about to burst! it's pretty sick, really. ;)
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Growing up we did the "movie and chinese" too but since moving to Denver for some reason chinese restaurants aren't open here!! So over the years we've adapted to either cooking or I-Hop or Denny's. They are literally all that is open!
  • Options

imagesuperaunt:
    this is the first christmas in probably 20 years i've been excited. as a child of a divorce, i was pulled from one family to the other and it was a competition and NO THANKS. ugh. hate the holidays!... but this year... this year is just so different because i'm a big old sap now and my heart is so damn full it's about to burst! it's pretty sick, really. ;)
    YesYesYes

All of this  except for "for the first time in 20 years." I've always loved Christmas despite going back and forth - which I still to BTW(1-4 w/Mom, 6-9 w/Dad this year). I've spent the last 11 Christmases with DH, but having Mikey with is really does make it spectacularly awesome!

Sorry, I am made of cheese.

• Options

I love Christmas. The movies, music, lights, children getting excited. I'm looking forward to Fiona getting into it in the next year or so.

I haven't had reasons to stress though. My family is small so we're not rushing around to get to people's houses. Although, I haven't hosted Christmas dinner at my house yet. Maybe when that happens the novelty will wear off.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"