Blended Families
Options

How should I work this out...

Methinks the kiddos (grandkids) are going to be lacking in gifts at Christmas at their houses but at my house there are gifts a-plenty for the three of them (ages 5, 5 and 7...the 7 year old used to live with us.)  Included in the gifts are the big gift of bikes for each of them.  The typical clothing items, etc. will be from us.

Should "Santa" visit our house and drop off the bikes or is it better that everything be from us.  (fwiw they live two hours away and I'm not driving them up there.)

Photobucket

Re: How should I work this out...

• Options

It would be odd if Santa brought more gifts to your house than to their house, no?

And, why wouldn't you drive the bikes up there to them?  You're going to leave the bikes only for use at your house?

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    I think she means she isn't dropping the bikes off at their house before Christmas...not that they can't take them home. I would just have everything from YOU at your house and leave Santa up to their parents. Although...my MIL does tell the kids Santa visits her house for them too...so I guess it can work either way.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just say that Santa visited your house and dropped off gifts for them there.  We have all agreed that Santa visits both houses for SD.  It's easier that way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know where you are coming from since essentially you were the Mom for the oldest for years but Santa needs to be from the parents now that they have custody.  Christmas will still be magical.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I think it's fine either way.  My mom loves to do stockings, so Santa visits her house and my house every year and it doesn't seem to cause any issues.  If there's any question about it, maybe Santa wanted the bikes at your house so all three could get them together?
  • Options

image10-4LilBuddy:
    I would just say that Santa visited your house and dropped off gifts for them there.  We have all agreed that Santa visits both houses for SD.  It's easier that way.

This.

I never thought Christmas wasn't magical, just because Santa visited my house, my grandparents' house and my other grandparent's house. Santa can go to however many dam* houses he pleases. People who think otherwise overthink the whole situation, IMO. For kids it's this simple. Period.

• Options

I guess the bikes should be from us rather than from Santa, eh?  Bikes have always been from Santa in the past (if they came at Christmas instead of birthdays).  I guess it's time to start a new tradition.

And yes, what I meant was that I wasn't driving the bikes up to the island (1.5-2 hours each way) only to drop them off as Santa gifts for under the tree at their house and then drive another 2 hours to get back home to have Christmas (and Christmas+1) back at my house.  Waaay too much driving, believe me.  I speak from experience.  I'll bring the bikes up when I go up next if they can't take them back.  Besides, I want to see their faces when they see the bikes.  I bought them, darnit. 

(Looooooong history here and some raw spots rubbing DH and apparently me re: the child/adults currently and getting worse with each passing holiday.  It's time for a sit-down I think.  He's been getting more and more pissed and disgusted with them as it's felt more and more like we're the bankroll and I'm not Mom since I get last call on all holidays, it seems--if I'm lucky lately, I'll get last call if I get any call at all.  DH is super-close with his mom and doesn't get my kids and their lack of respect/appreciation at all.  Think LittleJen's SD and DH to some extent and you got it.  Him being pissed and disgusted makes me pissed and disgusted at them for making him pissed and disgusted rather than giving him and me reason to be proud, happy, satisfied, etc. and him reason not to be pissed enough to cut them out of his will - literally, not figuratively.)

Santa will come to my house too.  But he'll bring the helmets instead of the bikes.  He knew I bought them bikes and he wanted them to be safe too.

I think that works for me.  :)

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"