School-Aged Children
Options

UGGS for my 9 year old

First of all, this is very unlike me to get something this expensive for my daughter. I can't honestly remember the last time I bought shoes/boots costing this much for myself. My daughter is 9 and in the fourth grade. She is doing well in school and just made the traveling soccer team in our town. 

Initially, I bought her a pair of black boots from Stride Rite and with a coupon, which cost me $40.00. She did not really care for them and actually, they did not fit the way I had expected with her jeans. We returned them. She has been asking for UGGS since last year but I thought they were way too expensive. Especially for kids since they outgrow shoes/clothes so quickly. My brother had given my daughter $50.00 a couple of weeks ago and she was willing to take an additional $10 out of her piggy bank to pay a total of $60.00 toward her UGGS. I agreed and I hope I haven't started a bad thing. 

I'm 39 and the 2nd of four kids in my family. I don't ever remember getting high dollar anything. I did have a talk with my daughter before we went into the store to buy her the UGGS...mainly about my expectation of her school performance, and helping out more around the house. I even went so far as saying that this was one of her "early" Christmas gifts. I guess I'm just interested in the thoughts of other parents when it comes to buying "luxury" items for their kids. Oh, and now I have to buy the stain/water repellant spray to keep them looking nice....another $10. 

Three beautiful girls! DD#1 8-23-01 DD#2 4-25-07 DD#3 10-19-10

Re: UGGS for my 9 year old

• Options

I think you're going about it the right way - she received money as a gift, she's using some of her own money and you don't have to spend any more than you originally wanted to - except maybe for the water repellent. 

We did the same thing with my stepson - he wanted a very expensive bike so we gave him the $ we wanted to spend on a bike and he used gift money to pay for the rest.  Guess what - he didn't leave it locked up and it got stolen.  We never replaced it.  It's a hard lesson but this how they learn.  If your daughter doesn't take care of her boots, then the same thing.

Things are much different now so I don't think you should use your childhood as a gauge against hers.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s too and we didn't have the options that they do today.  I know there are still high ticket items that they will want but there are still cute and cheap options available at Target, H&M and other stores - this is something I didn't have growing up.

• Options

when I was 11 or 12, I wanted girbaud jeans.  everyone at school was getting them... they were like $80 (which for around 1990 and for my parents was expensive)....  my parents agreed to my pleas of if I worked and paid for half, they'd pay for the rest.   I loved those jeans and wore them for years.  even when they were out of style, I'd wear them at home b/c they were SO comfy.  Now shoes are a different story... her feet are still growing.  I'm with you, I'd be hesitant ... but if she really wants to spend her money in that way and she totally understands that she could outgrow them by the end of the season , make it her decision... say your portion is your holiday gift to her.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ah yes, girbaud, z cavaricchi, guess ... I remember wanting them well.  My mom did buy me a few things here and there b/c I was a good kid and we lived in a nice area where other kids have 5 of everything.  I think you handled it well.  And, if she wants another color, then I think a knock off brand is just fine.  If you can afford it, buying them one nice thing a year so that they can learn to appreciate these things and take care of them is probably not a bad idea. Of course, we all do the best we can with what we have, but I think having her put some $$ toward it is a great idea. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

I have a 10 y/o DD, and I am also starting to deal with the same type of issues. My husband and I both grew up in households where $ was limited. We were both made to feel bad by our parents for wanting expensive name-brand stuff.  We don't want our kids to feel guilty about wanting to have those things that "everyone" has.  On the other hand, we want our kids to understand that sometimes paying a premium for name brand items is a gigantic waste of money!

We think a good way to go about helping kids understand this is to put some of the responsibility for getting "name brands" on the kids themselves, much like you did in your example.

If I felt the item was truly a luxury purchase, I would either offer my child a chance to earn money toward the luxury item, or allow the child to ask for the item for Christmas or birthday.   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Just wanted to share that I was in stride rite this weekend with my 5 yo and there was a mom with her 9 yo dd and they were contemplating uggs.  It was a heated discussion and I thought, I know this is all in my future.  I think you were right to have her pay for some of them. 
  • Options
    My kids have always had Uggs...even my 18 month old. They are warm and comfy...I just see them as footwear.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

My 12 yr old loves her Costco version of Uggs ("F'uggs" - faux-uggs). And, apparently 1/2 of the 7th grade girls have them as well. Nice quality and $90 cheaper.

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemama.bear:

My 12 yr old loves her Costco version of Uggs ("F'uggs" - faux-uggs). And, apparently 1/2 of the 7th grade girls have them as well. Nice quality and $90 cheaper.

This.  Our 2 DDs are very happy with the Target "Uggs" and I actually have a couple pair for myself! I CANNOT justify that much for boots that they will ourgrow so fast.  And, to be honest, the Target ones look nice, hold up very well ( I wore mine all last winter in the snow!)  and are VERY comfy!  DD2 also has several pair of the Sketchers Twinkle Toe boots, which are a little more than the Target ones, but still much less than the actualy UGGS.  They are cute, too!

SAHM to 2 boys (3 & 16 yrs) & 2 girls (5 & 8 yrs)

Our Angel Boy- m/c in 2007 @ 9wks due to Trisomy 17
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"