Natural Birth

hypnobirthing questions

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I'm new to this board and wanted to learn more about hypnobirthing:

A little background on me: I am unable to have an epidural/spinal for medical reasons and need to trying to avoid pushing while holding my breath for the same medical reason (chiari malformation),  and am looking into hypnobirthing accordingly. My other option is a c-section under general which I really would like to avoid. I'm not adverse to a natural labor at all, or to using iv meds if I can, and not really anxious or scared by labor in the first place, although this is my first one. My husband and I aren't totally into the idea of 'mantras' or whatnot, but the ideas of breathing and relaxation and positioning that the hypnobirthing seems to go over seem like they could be really helpful - especially the 'breathing the baby down' thing for second stage labor. 

I'd love to hear your experiences with hypnobirthing or similar techniques, or if this has been talked about before, referred to a previous board. 

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hypnobirthing questions

• I am currently studying Hypnobabies, but don't have any experience in using hypnoses in childbirth yet. I can tell you that so far from what I can tell there really aren't "mantras" but cues that I will use such as "peace" and a finger drop technique to put me into hypnoses. There is no chanting or anything like that, just certain words that you will practice using so that if you become tense you or your partner can say and it will encourage you to relax. Also, (I haven't gotten to this part yet) it teaches you how to breath your baby down instead of the purple faced pushing. There are lots of birth stories on this website from moms who have used Hypnobabies, it may give you a better idea of what it will be like https://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/index1.htm . HTH!
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • First let me say that I loved hypnobirthing!  At my 6w postpartum appointment my MW asked me if I felt anything, that's how calm my DD's birth was!  

My labor involved relaxation, listening to music, and visualization, nothing weird or loopy :).  I was never able to successfully use the technique of "breathing the baby down."  I did however labor my DD down more before I started pushing.  My MW told me I could start pushing, but my DD was only at zero station and so I decided to wait until she came down more on her own.  I started pushing at +2 station, but even then I know I could have waited longer, I was just excited to meet her.  That might be an option for you.  If you get in the zone and can stay relaxed, your contractions will bring the baby down and when your baby gets really close you could use the 'breathing down" techniques.  

Here is the link to my birth story if you are interested in reading the whole thing: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/42532447.aspx

Best of luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • I think hypnobabies would be perfect for you! How did they find your Chiari? that's kinda a rare diagnosis......
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • I just ordered hynobabies!f  I am very excited to start my training.  I can't give you any experiential advice but if you go back through the posts here, there are lots of birth stories.  I found them very helpful. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh and its really not a good idea to use your email address as a name on the bump.  Just fyi.  You might want to create a different moniker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • found it on a cervical mri i had when i was having neck spasms/pain about 6 years ago..pretty non-symtomatic except when i'm straining a lot (yikes for labor!)
  • i really enjoyed my hypnobirth 6 weeks ago. here is a link to my birth story. https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/44348615.aspx

i didn't start birth breathing until i could feel my baby's head by reaching just a few inches inside. my MW didn't really do internals during my labor, so i don't know what station she was when i started the hypnobirth version of "pushing", which is J breath breathing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"