Infertility
Options

Importance of success rates?

As we are trying to figure out what our next steps are, we are definitely looking for a new clinic (#1).  We have the option of staying with the same over calinic, but changing branches(#2).  We have the option of switching to a new clinic, but staying in the same area(#3).  We also have the option of going to pretty much any clinic of our choosing and having it covered-we could do monitoring in our area, and ER/ET in another state-we have been thinking about SIRM in NYC (#4) and Braverman on Long Island (#5)

So we look at success rates for my age range:

#1- 42.4% of transfers result in live birth

#2- 50.6%

#3- 54%

#4-  54%

#5-??

The craziness is I really thought my original clinic was one of the best in the area-and it was surprising to see they were lower than others.  

Sher and Braverman have the ability to treat immunologic aspects of my care-which we aren't sure are there, but could be.  

How much would success rates impact your decision?  How much should I put into the immunologic aspect and be willing to travel if the success rates aren't significantly higher-but could be for me?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Importance of success rates?

• Options
    success rates were very important for me in choosing REs. We were fortunate that the RE we fell in love with also has the best success rates in our area (>50%) for my age and our diagnosis.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I think that is just one factor.  I also consider the style of the clinic.  Some clinics boast better numbers because they are selective with their patients.  I tease my RE that I am not helping their SART numbers.  But I am glad that he is willing to try with me.  Some clinics would not treat me due to my FSH levels.

I think it is important to have a consult with the clinic/RE and not just look at the numbers.

Cost was also an issue for me since we were 100% OOP.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    While I see the importance of success rates and definitely used that info as part of choosing and RE, keep in mind that statistics can be skewed.  So much depends on the type and difficulty of cases and who's being included/excluded.  At the end of the day, the only success rate that matters is yours.  I think it's important to see a doc you trust and who has experience with your issues. 
    IVF #3 = Feb 2012
    beta#1 3/21 (14dp3dt)=413, beta#2 3/23 (16dp3dt)=785, u/s 4/11
    EDD 11/25/12
    **SAIFW** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagenjohnson1972:

I tease my RE that I am not helping their SART numbers. 

OMG - i did that too after IVF #1. 

He told me he was more concerned about getting me pregnant than he was about the numbers he had to report. 

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

for me it has been a HUGE issue.  But I am new to this. I am doing all the diagnostics at a clinic that is covered by my insurance but after our first visit found out their success rates aren't as good as some other sin our area. I was already thinking of changing, but have now had some not so great experiences where I'm at (feeling like a #, poor bedside manner, etc.)  I think it has to be a careful balance of success rate and feeling comfortable where you're at.  I told DH yesterday taht you HAVE to trust your RE b/c no matter how much we read we will enver know as much as he does so if we don't feel comfortable with who we're with, we need to think about switching so taht we DO trust what our RE is telling us.

I'm a numbers girl so the stats are huge (I am going to ask my RE how they get their number and if they refuse patients who are more "difficlut" cases).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    History of IF and 2.5 years TTC. The day we were to start our first IUI we received a call that changed our lives forever and 10 month old Olivia joined our family. Shortly thereafter we got a surprise BFP and baby 2 is due July 5, 2012

• Options

The RE I went with had the second highest rate in our area but the RE himself (or herself) was just as important to me.

I wanted one I would see at most, if not all visits and the larger clinic with slightly higher success rates, I knew I would only see the doctor for ER/ET and then it might not even be the same doctor.

Because we are OOP I also opted for the clinic that offered a shared risked program.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Options

I didn't look at success rates at all until we decided on IVF, then we went with the clinic in our area with the highest rates (>50%).  We have only one covered cycle, so we figured it's all in (and we're just sucking up the longer drive).  I'm confident that the clinic is not just turning away hard cases, but actually has better quality control and embryology.  I've been very impressed with them overall, and especially when I compare them to my previous clinics.  GL!

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

• Options
    imagenjohnson1972:

I think that is just one factor.  I also consider the style of the clinic.  Some clinics boast better numbers because they are selective with their patients.  

Absolutely this. My RE does not have the best #s but the clinic and staff "fit my style". Now of course, we will seek a second opinion when that time comes, but I am happy with where we are now.

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If I were in your shoes, I would look to choose the clinic/RE that could best deal with/has experience with our diagnosis. I love SG, but if we had a more particular diagnosis I would have weighed going elsewhere.
    Sept. 2010: IVF #1= BFP; May 2012: FET #1= blighted ovum, D&C; FET #2= ?? Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageesperanza123:
    If I were in your shoes, I would look to choose the clinic/RE that could best deal with/has experience with our diagnosis. I love SG, but if we had a more particular diagnosis I would have weighed going elsewhere.

Right now our most significant dx is MFI.  I have endo, but not severe.  SIRM said I should be tested for immune issues, but SG didn't test at all for it (and a lot don't!).

I have thought about switching to Rockville because I really think part of the problem was our actual clinic.  A lot of people have been very happy with Rockville-and we've heard more and more that weren't with our branch.

• Options
    Thanks ladies for all your input-definitely gives me something to think about!  We want to do it right-it's just trying to figure out what makes it "right"!
  • Options
    My SIL is an OB and has also gone through IVF. She told me to look at the clinic's average number of live births per cycle. It should be between 1 and 2. Anymore than 2 and they are bordering on being irresponsible (the goal of IVF is to have one live birth per cycle). Also, make sure the lab/clinic is a member of SART.
    11/11/11 = 5 years. Woah!
  • Options

I hope you don't mind me posting (I still feel that IF is my home board) but IMO, success rates are just part of it. 

My clinic has some of the lowest success rates in the area (about 33%) but I went with them b/c I liked the RE.  I also liked that I didnt feel like a # there.  Every RE in the practice knew me.  REs did all ultrasounds 9not technitions) and I could email my RE any time with all sorts of crazy questions and he would reply. 

I also liked their philosophy in that less medication is better....they didn't haveme take BCP before IVF b/c they wanted to have me meet their schedule.  They came in on 4th of July weekend with all smiles b/c it was my CD2.  I also liked that they started everything on CD2...I thought that I was getting more chances...I also felt that there was less of waiting game to get started when AF came since once she showed, you went the next day. 

I also liked that they would rather take the time to see if they could find a cuase of our IF instead of just giving me lots of drugs and hoping for the best.  I went through every test in the book and then some but I never worried about blocked tubes or endo, etc.   

My RE says that their goal is to help every couple, not just the ones that are the most likely to succeed.  

Definitely go with the person you feel most comfortable with.  Good Luck!

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJackie2200:

I hope you don't mind me posting (I still feel that IF is my home board) but IMO, success rates are just part of it. 

My clinic has some of the lowest success rates in the area (about 33%) but I went with them b/c I liked the RE.  I also liked that I didnt feel like a # there.  Every RE in the practice knew me.  REs did all ultrasounds 9not technitions) and I could email my RE any time with all sorts of crazy questions and he would reply. 

I also liked their philosophy in that less medication is better....they didn't haveme take BCP before IVF b/c they wanted to have me meet their schedule.  They came in on 4th of July weekend with all smiles b/c it was my CD2.  I also liked that they started everything on CD2...I thought that I was getting more chances...I also felt that there was less of waiting game to get started when AF came since once she showed, you went the next day. 

I also liked that they would rather take the time to see if they could find a cuase of our IF instead of just giving me lots of drugs and hoping for the best.  I went through every test in the book and then some but I never worried about blocked tubes or endo, etc.   

My RE says that their goal is to help every couple, not just the ones that are the most likely to succeed.  

Definitely go with the person you feel most comfortable with.  Good Luck!

Thanks so much-can I ask where you went?

• Options

Hey..I didn't realize you were in MD.  Sorry that you have to deal with all this! 

I went to Johns Hopkins.  Seems that EVERYONE goes to Shady Grove but I just didn't feel all that comfortable there.  Good luck!!

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJackie2200:

Hey..I didn't realize you were in MD.  Sorry that you have to deal with all this! 

I went to Johns Hopkins.  Seems that EVERYONE goes to Shady Grove but I just didn't feel all that comfortable there.  Good luck!!

Thanks, we are going to the Fertility Center of MD for our second opinion-but I'm so happy to hear about your success with Hopkins!  We may also get another opinion depending on what FCOM says!

• Options

I know your experience wasn't great with SG but I think it's the clinic and the doctors you went to.  Depending on the office I go to, I feel the same way.  They actually do test for immune issues, as I'm going through them right now since my FSH is extremely high and I'm only 29.  I also feel their numbers aren't as great because they have shared-risk, which most places don't.  Some clinics are also VERY selective and only treat patients that fit into a certain criteria, which gives them higher numbers.  I would rather work with a clinic that has lower numbers but is willing to work with my issues.  

Every clinic has their share of success and horrid reviews based on the internet/friends/etc but you are the only one that can determine if you are happy.  I feel the internet doesn't always help with this.  I have read wonderful things about SG/Hopkins, Fertility Center, etc but I have also read just as much horrible things.  

I wish you good luck in your second opinion! 

IUI#1 = 09/10 - Canceled - Dx w/POF
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • Options
    imagelenebene:

I know your experience wasn't great with SG but I think it's the clinic and the doctors you went to.  Depending on the office I go to, I feel the same way.  They actually do test for immune issues, as I'm going through them right now since my FSH is extremely high and I'm only 29.  I also feel their numbers aren't as great because they have shared-risk, which most places don't.  Some clinics are also VERY selective and only treat patients that fit into a certain criteria, which gives them higher numbers.  I would rather work with a clinic that has lower numbers but is willing to work with my issues.  

Every clinic has their share of success and horrid reviews based on the internet/friends/etc but you are the only one that can determine if you are happy.  I feel the internet doesn't always help with this.  I have read wonderful things about SG/Hopkins, Fertility Center, etc but I have also read just as much horrible things.  

Um, they "surprised" us with a major surgery on my DH two days before our ER and then never used the sperm and can't tell us what happened to it, I was grilled by a RE about what was the big deal about discarding 2 or 20 embryos a day before my ER and I had to explain our religious beliefs and why I felt that having 30 embryos was a big deal to me, and now they haven't given me my medical records even though I've requested the information on my IVF cycle twice.  This isn't the Internet-this was my personal experience.  Our experience wasn't just "not great" it was horrible and quite possibly harmful in putting my DH through a surgery that they can't tell me what happened with the sperm-just that nothing was frozen and they only used what they found from him sample the day before. 

I'm glad you are having a good experience with them-I really hope for your sake, you continue to have a good experience because I wouldn't wish what happened to DH and I on anybody. 

Thanks for letting me know you've read horrific things about all the other clinics as well.  Would you pass them on to me or PM me with links, because I've yet to read any reviews on them and would love to read positive and negative reviews of them.

• Options
    imageSLPMel:
    imagelenebene:

Um, they "surprised" us with a major surgery on my DH two days before our ER and then never used the sperm and can't tell us what happened to it, I was grilled by a RE about what was the big deal about discarding 2 or 20 embryos a day before my ER and I had to explain our religious beliefs and why I felt that having 30 embryos was a big deal to me, and now they haven't given me my medical records even though I've requested the information on my IVF cycle twice.  This isn't the Internet-this was my personal experience.  Our experience wasn't just "not great" it was horrible and quite possibly harmful in putting my DH through a surgery that they can't tell me what happened with the sperm-just that nothing was frozen and they only used what they found from him sample the day before. 

I'm glad you are having a good experience with them-I really hope for your sake, you continue to have a good experience because I wouldn't wish what happened to DH and I on anybody. 

Thanks for letting me know you've read horrific things about all the other clinics as well.  Would you pass them on to me or PM me with links, because I've yet to read any reviews on them and would love to read positive and negative reviews of them.

I'm so sorry about your horrible experience.  I wish you the best in the future.  Yes, I'll PM you the other reviews... 

DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • Options
    One question, which SG office did you go too?  I know every office has different doctors.  
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • Options

imagelenebene:
    One question, which SG office did you go too?  I know every office has different doctors.  

I am very specific about not wanting to talk badly about a clinic because I do know that for every bad experience someone has a good one.  When I talk about it-I don't even put in the clinic because I wouldn't want to sway someone from going and having a good experience with them.  I do know it seems like people have had positive experiences way more at other branches-and I've said that in previous posts.  It's also why I've thought about switching to another branch (thus putting it in the original post). 

We just know going back to our original clinic is completely out of the question for us-especially now that we've seen the poorer success rates and gotten (in our opinion) substandard care.  Because of the closeness-and we loved our nurse, and even liked one of the doctors-we would have loved to continue with them.  

• Options

I understand.

I sent you an PM. 

DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"