Baby Showers

Overanxious MIL

Right after we announced the baby (one week after finding out), one of my MILs was telling me to have my mom call her (obviously about a baby shower which she didn't say but my mom later confirmed).  She wanted to start planning right away even though I'm not due to June.  My mom told her to hold off until at least after the new year.  I am of course grateful and not stepping in here - just expressing.  What do you all think?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image

Re: Overanxious MIL

• IMO, she's just overly excited.  Is this her first grandchild?  

If she wants to start planning, just have your Mom (or you, or DH, whatever seems right for your family) tell her that a shower wouldn't happen until April or May, so you won't be ready to start planning anything until about February or March of next year.   Or use the excuse of wanting to wait until you know the sex (if you're finding out) to keep her at bay...you'll find that out around week 20 (Feb?).

Congrats! 

• You're due in June and she is already talking about a baby shower?

There's no polite way to say this, but not all pregnancies end up happily. You should be near the end of your 2nd trimester before anyone is worrying about a shower (IMO).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCorts:

You're due in June and she is already talking about a baby shower?

There's no polite way to say this, but not all pregnancies end up happily. You should be near the end of your 2nd trimester before anyone is worrying about a shower (IMO).

I agree with this.

I'd wait until about 20-24 weeks to start planning anything. Plus, don't you want to be showing at the shower?  That's very nice that your MIL is so excited, but if something horrible did happen it might be very difficult to have to look at baby items. JMO.

• I would tell her how happy you are that she's so excited, but that you would rather wait until the holidays have passed to start making any plans.
  • I think she's just very excited to become a grandmother!
  • She should probably wait at least until your second tri ultrasound- whether youre finding out the sex or not. 
    M/C#1-5/2/2009 M/C#2- 10/1/2009 BFP#3- 4/7/10! EDD 12/22/10 Riggs born 12/25/10 8lbs 5 oz 21 inches :) BFP: 4/2/2012 EDD 12/16/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • She had my mother call her and my mother plainly told her that things shouldn't even discuss plans before January.  We started to register just to get a jump on things.  (we're planners - you should have seen our wedding plans).  She has no experience with children because she has never had any (husband's step-mother) so she has no idea about these things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"