VBAC
Options

C/S birth plan

This was mentioned in the "failure to VBAC" post below.  Last time this part of my birth plan was an afterthought since I didn't think it could happen to me.  This time I'm planning on a VBAC, but to put my mind at ease I think I'd like to put something together for a c/s or research it a little more just in case I do have a repeat c/s.

Does anybody have a c/s birth plan?  Anything that you would want to do differently if possible if you had another c/s? 

I know one thing that I asked was that the screen be brought down, but they said they couldn't do that b/c of the sterile environment.  Not sure if this is standard or not.  Is it sad that I don't even remember if my arms were strapped down or not?  Stuff like that.

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C/S birth plan

• Options

Because it's an operation, I would talk to your OB specifically about what's optional.  I know that because of the sterility issues, we were pretty limited.  While DH couldn't cut the cord, she'd cut it long, and allow DH to cut part of it once DS was in the baby area - you know, for a keepsake photo?

We opted out of that, but things like that were specifically addressed before the surgery because I had a scheduled c/s... 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep, DH got to "cut the cord" last time.  I know some things aren't possible, but I'm not sure how much an OB will tell you is optional unless you know what is crap vs. their preference.  My midwives do have a backup OB that I have to meet once between 22-26w, so I'd like to get my questions together by then since I hope to never see her again b/c she's not a part of the midwife practice and just their backup.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is the sample birth plan my doula gave me when DS was breech and we thought we might need it. I ended up with an emergency c/s for completely separate reasons so there was no use of it. But I thought I'd share what she gave me:

Attendance:

?         I would like my husband and doula to be in the room during prep (when the epidural is placed).

?         I would like my husband and doula to be present in the operating room.

Birth:

?         Please do not place the urinary catheter until the epidural has taken effect.

?         Do not restrict mother?s arms.

?         We would like to be kept apprised of:

o       how the birth is proceeding

o       how the repair is progressing

?         Please give father the option of cutting the cord.

?         Do not administer any drugs to mom without explanation of need and side effects. Must get consent of mom before administration.

?         Please do a double layer suture.

Post-Birth:

?         Immediate skin-to-skin contact between baby and mother and/or father.

?         We intend to exclusively breastfeed; please do not give our baby formula.

?         Postpone all non-essential (e.g. Vitamin K, erythromycin, Hepatitis B) newborn care procedures until after bonding period with new parents.

?         Postpone full bathing until time of parents choosing.

?         Please do not administer post-birth pain medication without full explanation of drug and side effects and consent from mom.

?         Please remove catheter, IV and other monitoring devices as soon as safely possible.

?         Mom would like a lactation consultant to visit as soon as possible.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The big ones that I am planning on asking for are immediate skin to skin with baby, if I can attempt BFing in recover w/ doula help, if all non-essential medical things can be waited for until we've had a chance to bond.  That was the biggest thing that I don't want to repeat about the actual process of the c/s.  I didn't get to hold DS until he was a few hours old, and now that I'm more aware of c/s I want to try and avoid that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I reeeeeally don't want my arms strapped down again.  That is what I feel most adamant about if I have another cesarean.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This was mine.  Of everything we asked, most wishes were granted.  The only thing we weren't able to do at all was to allow the cord to stop pulsating before being cut.  My incision was also closed internally the way I requested (same way as the first time) but I had to have staples externally because I had some bleeding issues.

Overall, I was much happier with this experience than my first c/s.  Having support & caring providers made a huge difference for me, personally. 

I would like to have my husband and/or my doula with me at all times, even for procedures and administration of anesthesia.

I would like to have at least one hand free/not strapped down.

I would like the option of viewing the birth either by lowering the screen or positioning a mirror.

No anti-anxiety or similar drugs are to be administered without my expressed permission.

I would like the catheter put in after anesthesia is administered.

If at all possible we would like to wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped. If this is not possible we would like to try and wait at least a few minutes.

If at all possible we would like that the baby?s father be able to cut the cord.

I would like to see the baby immediately after birth if at all possible. If there is any way to place the baby on my chest, even for a few seconds, I would like this to happen.

I would like my incision closed with double-layer internal stitches & steri-strips on top.

I would like to have skin to skin contact with the baby & begin breastfeeding as soon as it is possible.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"