VBAC
Options

Giving my OB my VBAC consent form tomorrow

At my first appt I got a VBAC consent form, with places to sign for either attempting VBAC or wanting a repeat C/S.  It outlines the benefits, risks, and contrindicaitons of VBAC.  I've signed it that I want to attempt a VBAC and I will be having it put in my file tomorrow!
"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES

Re: Giving my OB my VBAC consent form tomorrow

• Options

What does the form say about the pros and cons of VBAC?

Do people have to sign a consent form ahead of time for a repeat cesarean, or just one when they get to the hospital? 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've honestly have thought about penciling in the risks of a repeat c/s when I have to sign a VBAC consent (I assume I'll have to - I do have to have an OB consult as a VBACer going with a FP doctor, where I assume they will go over all the risks of a VBAC). 

Yay for it being official, but at the same time, kinda irksome that we have to sign a specific consent for trying to have a vaginal birth, which is generally how it's been done for, oh, a few million years...  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageiris427:

What does the form say about the pros and cons of VBAC?

Do people have to sign a consent form ahead of time for a repeat cesarean, or just one when they get to the hospital? 

I also filled out a form like OP did.  Mine basically listed risks associated with VBAC and asked me to initial if my OB had explained each risk to me.  My OB also explained each pro to a VBAC, but those things were not on the form.   She did say that at any time I can change my mind or alter the form.  For now I noted on my form that I do not want to be induced. 

Not sure about consent for a repeat c-section.  I believe my sister signed something ahead of time, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

• Options

Pros:  VBAC carries lower risk to me than a c/s.  Benefits include decreased blood loss, decreased post delivery complications and shorter recuperative period including shorter hospital stay. 

Cons:  risk of uterine rupture is around 1%.  If rupture occurs, there may not be enough time to operate and prevent death or permanent brain injury to the baby.  Frequency of death or permanent nuerologic injury to the baby from uterine rupture is uncertain, but possibly as high as 50%.  Risks to the mother from uterine rupture are hysterectomy, blood transfusion, infection, injury to internal organs, blood coagulation problems, or death. 

It also talks about the VBAC success rate (70%), the use of pitocin raising the risk of uterine rupture but does not give a percentage, and that having a repeat c/s after attempting VBAC carries a greater risk of problems like infection vs. elective c/s. 

I don't know about signing it ahead of time for a repeat c/s.  One of the first questions they asked me was if I was interested in a VBAC and then they handed me this form when I said I was.   

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    imageCeefome:

Pros:  VBAC carries lower risk to me than a c/s.  Benefits include decreased blood loss, decreased post delivery complications and shorter recuperative period including shorter hospital stay. 

Cons:  risk of uterine rupture is around 1%.  If rupture occurs, there may not be enough time to operate and prevent death or permanent brain injury to the baby.  Frequency of death or permanent nuerologic injury to the baby from uterine rupture is uncertain, but possibly as high as 50%.  Risks to the mother from uterine rupture are hysterectomy, blood transfusion, infection, injury to internal organs, blood coagulation problems, or death. 

It also talks about the VBAC success rate (70%), the use of pitocin raising the risk of uterine rupture but does not give a percentage, and that having a repeat c/s after attempting VBAC carries a greater risk of problems like infection vs. elective c/s. 

I don't know about signing it ahead of time for a repeat c/s.  One of the first questions they asked me was if I was interested in a VBAC and then they handed me this form when I said I was.   

F-ing bump just deleted my whole response.

OK the last part of your response is what worries me.  it makes it sound like as soon as a woman expresses interest in VBAC, they throw this form at her, as thought it will educate her about VBAC.  But the form is not providing good information about the pros and cons of VBAC vs. ERCS.  For example, it does not mention any of the risks of having a repeat cesarean, such as the risk of placental problems in future pregnancies, the increased chance of respiratory issues in the baby, and higher maternal death rates.  I think these should be mentioned in any discussion of the benefits of VBAC.

These consent forms are legal forms meant to cover the doctor's ass in case of a lawsuit.  They shouldn't be used for medical education, especially the first time a mother expresses interest in VBAC.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

I never had sign any consent ahead time for c section, the only thing i had to sign was a consent for general or spinal, which was done right before the c section.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"