Pre-School and Daycare
Options

So sick of "NO!"

Its DDs word of choice lately.  I am loosing my patience.  Its "no" to everything- putting on a jacket, going to the potty, getting dressed, wearing long pants, etc.

I don't fight with her about picking her clothes because its just not worth it... but I can't let her wear shorts in this cooler weather and she must wear a jacket.  I literally wrestled her to the floor yesterday to put it on her only to have her take it right off.  Its exhausting.  She also refuses to sit on the potty before we leave the hosue... I can't force her to pee but whenever I am able to convince her, she does end up peeing...

I just don't know what to do anymore.  She's only 2.5- I figured I'd have a while before this all started!

Re: So sick of "NO!"

• Options

My DD went through a phase like that.  I found I had to watch my wordings, and try and always give her choices.  Instead of "do you want to wear this,"  I started asking - "Do you want to wear this or this."  Two options made her happy, and I didn't have to worry about her finding something seasonally inappropriate. Also, DD hates jeans/tight pants, so I often find I am dressing her in sweatpants, or yoga pants.  I also let her dress however she wants in our house (provided we don't have company).  Most days that means naked, or just a shirt, but if someone comes to the door, she is told she must put clothing on. 

Potty wise, it was harder.  Usually, I would say "it's almost time to {insert activity here} we need to go to the bathroom before we start."  Sometimes it works, other times we get a tantrum ... but she seems less resistant than if I ask her if she needs to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto pp.  I give DS two options, both of which I will be happy with, and he is happy that he gets to make the decision. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I give choices where I can - "do you want to where the purple pants or black ones?"  If I get "no", "no is not an answer -- choose one or I get to choose."  I explain the potty thing by saying "there is no "no" about it -- it's just what we do and that is go potty before we leave the house" and I shrug my shoulders as if that is the way it is.  And while I wouldn't let her wear shorts but I would empower her to choose her pants or pick a skirt to wear with tights. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

I hear ya! DS is super polite and says "no thank you" to everything. DH finally told him that he couldnt tell us "No", that he had to say things like "I really dont want to do that" or "I dont like that". It's helped and so far he uses his words a lot more.

It's their age though, just another thing to work on. GL!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

choices are key for that age... make everything have a choice - "do you want to go potty now or after we put your shoes on?" ....  "which book do you want to read before bed?"....

never ask "do you want to do xyz?".... let her know that going to bed isn't up for discussion- but what book is.... that going to the potty isn't up for discussion- but when she does it is...

it's hard to retrain yourself to talk that way - but it really does work with this age group.

DH and i were just saying how much better DS1 has been lately.  2 weeks before he turned 3 he became a hellion child - which was so UNLIKE him at all.... a few months of really consistant discipline (on his part and our part) and he's really come around and is a sweetie again.

tons and tons of praise for good things - even small good things = helpful, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"