Health & Exercise
Options

Does water REALLY help you lose weight?

I have heard that over and over again but I don't get how it works.  Yes I can see how it will fill you up so you eat less, but besides that does it really make a difference?  Are people really saying that if I add more water to my day but change nothing else that I can lose more weight (of coures I mean eating the right amount of calories and being healthy)?  Someone explain this to me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Does water REALLY help you lose weight?

• Options
    In my opinion yes. It helped me lose weight because often times I would eat thinking I was hungry but I was not hungry just dehydrated. I read somewhere that hunger pangs and stomach pain from not getting enough fluids are often confused with one another.
  • Options
    It could also mean that, if you replace all sodas, sugary drinks and juice with water, it helps because each of those has at least 100 calories per 8oz and that could really knock out a lot of calories per day.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If you're asking if there is some metabolic reason why water would help you lose weight, then no, there is no evidence for this. As a registered dietitian, I can say this with confidence. 

But, some of the PP had some good points.  Staying hydrated is very important and if you are dehydrated, you may feel "hungry".  Also, replacing calorie-containing beverages with water can cause a significant calorie reduction that could be helpful in weight loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm always amazed at how different I feel when I'm well-hydrated versus when I'm just not drinking enough water (although not necessarily dehydrated).  When I feel good, I don't snack and "comfort eat" nearly as much as I do when I'm feeling funky. =) Note to my self: start drinking more water! 
  • Options

Indirectly yes.  You're so busy and full from water that you eat less. 

Try drinking a gallon of water a day.  You'll see what I'm talking about.

• Options
    Drinking cold water burns a few calories, but the biggest benefit is keeping your hunger in check. I think a recent study showed that drinking 12 ounces of water 10-15 minutes before each meal made people eat less.
  • Options

I believe that along with keeping us hydrated where we don't mistake the thirst for hunger, drinking a lot of water keeps our bodies from hanging on to excess water.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"