Natural Birth
Options

Any questions I should ask Bradley instructor?

We have basically picked our class because of time and location, there aren't that many classes in our area, especially when trying to time it for the right part of pregnancy (i.e. I don't want to start this early but we do need to finish before my due date!)  So, is there anything I should ask to make sure the class is a good fit before plunking down our deposit for December?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any questions I should ask Bradley instructor?

• Options

IMO, it is never too early to start educating yourself about childbirth, especially if you are planning a natural birth. 

For your upcoming class, I would suggest calling the teacher and asking a few things:

1. Does the class cover the anatomy of 1st, 2nd & 3rd stages of labor?

2. What techniques will I learn for pain management?

3. Will you teach me about the changes in my body during pregnancy & what kinds of exercises & diet I should be maintaining?

4. Will DH be involved in classes & know how to help me in labor?

5.  What is the percentage of your students who go on to have a natural birth?

6. Am I free to call or email you any time with questions?

7. How many students will be in the class?

8. What is your teaching style, i.e. lecture, interactive with student participation, do you show DVDs, are there activities, is there homework, etc.?

9. Will the class cover infant care & breastfeeding?

10. Will I learn everything I need to know to be informed & make choices concerning my birth team & birth plan?

Hope that helps!

• Options
    I know there are Bradley teachers on here who might be able to provide more definitive answers.  But my teacher basically taught by the handbook (which I think is what they're supposed to do), so it's not like the curriculum is going to vary. 
    Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageroundtheworldgirl:
    I know there are Bradley teachers on here who might be able to provide more definitive answers.  But my teacher basically taught by the handbook (which I think is what they're supposed to do), so it's not like the curriculum is going to vary
    That's what I'm thinking - she provided a class outline and it seemed pretty straightforward.  (I have been doing a ton of reading about labor on my own so I'm not unfamiliar with the stages, etc.)

I will ask some of the questions above though, about class size and % success rate.  My guess is that the answers will be reasonable.  I always want more info!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The main thing I can recommend is to meet her. The reason is, some are really... strong opinioned, and can come across rather severe. Not the majority though. :)

I used to teach Bradley, so I would still recommend calling and just going through this questionnaire. Some 'teach by the book', others buy the book but teach a combination of mostly Bradley, a little of this and a little of that... others still will teach an abbreviated course, which means you will be missing some of the information. So, call. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"