June 2012 Moms
Options

ettiquette question

A coworker is getting married. We do not interact much nor interact outside of work and I am not invited to the wedding - but I just got an invitation to her bridal shower?!

They also invited all the students and families in our dance school.

I am thinking.... tacky and gift grabby?

Would you go/ buy something?.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: ettiquette question

• Options
    imageacbfreire:

A coworker is getting married. We do not interact much nor interact outside of work and I am not invited to the wedding - but I just got an invitation to her bridal shower?!

This.  "You are good enough to give me a gift but I don't really want you at my wedding"  I would buy nothing and decline the invitation without comment or reason.

imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • Options
    imageGracieBlue:
    imageacbfreire:

This.  "You are good enough to give me a gift but I don't really want you at my wedding"  I would buy nothing and decline the invitation without comment or reason.

I agree. Super tacky. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGracieBlue:
    imageacbfreire:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageacbfreire:
    A coworker is getting married. We do not interact much nor interact outside of work and I am not invited to the wedding but I just got an invitation to her bridal shower?!They also invited all the students and families in our dance school.I am thinking.... tacky and gift grabby? Would you go/ buy something?.

Super tacky! The proper ettiquette rule for Bridal showers is you're only suppossed to invite people that you're inviting to your wedding. I would decline the invite and NOT buy anything. If they ask why tell them the truth.
  • Options
    This happened to my mom, except the btb sat right next to her and they were close. Talk about tacky. I wouldn't go. If your work is purchasing a gift, I might throw a couple of dollars towards it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah...I wouldn't go either..that's actually happened to me and I didn't buy a gift either.
  • Options

Assuming this isn't a work shower hosted by co-workers and the only guests are also co-workers: not tacky. Rude. And gift grabby.

• Options
    I think it's tacky as well. But, if she invited others for your work, she may be inviting you simply so you don't feel left out. Don't bother going. leave it at that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't go or give a gift. But as PPs have said, maybe the host just doesn't want to leave anyone out & isn't necessarily trying to be gift-grabby. It's sort of hard to know with showers.

For my baby shower, I gave the host a list of family members to invite. I didn't invite some cousins who I am not close to at all because I didn't want to be gift-grabby. Well, it turns out they were super offended I didn't invite them! Sometimes you can't win in these situations.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageArkansasMom22:
    imagejess9802:

Assuming this isn't a work shower hosted by co-workers and the only guests are also co-workers: not tacky. Rude. And gift grabby.

This. DH and I work at the same company in different department and when we got married the girls I work with threw up a shower and invited people that we both work with, most of whom were not invited to our wedding. This is the norm at my office though, when someone gets married or has a baby their team usually has a shower. They are held at work during work hours so I think that makes it okay, it is coworkers celebrating with you.

This exactly for us too.  If its a shower thrown by work then I would attend and bring a gift off the registry.  If it's HER inviting you to her own shower than it's tacky and rude and I wouldn't go.

Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Options

Her BF who is also a co-worker send the invitation to the teachers AND all the families in our school. It is not during work hours.

IMO it is not a work shower because students and families were invited.

• Options
    imageArkansasMom22:
    imagejess9802:

This. DH and I work at the same company in different department and when we got married the girls I work with threw up a shower and invited people that we both work with, most&nbsp;of whom were not invited to our wedding. This is the norm at my office though, when someone gets married or has a baby their team usually has a shower. They are held at work during work hours so I think that makes it okay, it is coworkers celebrating with you.

Same here. We do "work showers" for both weddings and babies. They are work events held at the office and during office hours. Coworkers chip in for gifts if they wish to otherwise come an have some cake! If this is her private bridal shower with friends and family, I agree with pp, it's tacky and I would not attend either.
  • Options
  • Options
    imageacbfreire:
    A coworker is getting married. We do not interact much nor interact outside of work and I am not invited to the wedding but I just got an invitation to her bridal shower?!They also invited all the students and families in our dance school.I am thinking.... tacky and gift grabby? Would you go/ buy something?.

Super tacky. When we got married, my mom invited people to my shower so then we had to invite them to the wedding. Finally, the guest list was out of control and mom was cut off of inviting peeps.
    RSVP no and send no gift.
  • Options
    imageacbfreire:

Her BF who is also a co-worker send the invitation to the teachers AND all the families in our school. It is not during work hours.

IMO it is not a work shower because students and families were invited.

That is so strange. 

I wouldn't go or send a gift in this case. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"