School-Aged Children
Options

DD1 has her SECOND case of the chicken pox

She is missing at least a week to a week and a half of kindergarten. Do you think it's going to be a big deal with her learning and her school work?? She was diagnosed last Wed with them and probably won't go back until possibly this Friday.

BTW, she has had both shots of the vaccine and her last case was June of last year. She was tested on Friday to make sure that it is the chicken pox and if they are derived from the vaccine or if they are natural. No one else around us has been diagnosed with them. It's odd and quite frustrating! The lady from public health told me that she may be one of the 3% of those whose bodies didn't take to the vaccine and that's why she keeps getting them. 

~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
image 20 people are procrastinators!
RSVP Date: 2/28/2011

Re: DD1 has her SECOND case of the chicken pox

• Options
    Wow, I'm surprised she got them a second time because if you get them naturally then your body is supposed to build it's own immunity to them, unless her first case was a mild one.  Was the first case a mild case? 
  • Options
    Are you able to stay home with her? I'd contact her teacher and ask for a packet of work so at least you can do a little bit a day. That seriously stinks! Poor kiddo! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor baby. I cant imagine how frustrating that could be for her and yourself. Talk to the teacher and see if there are things that can be done to help her through the week with school work or something new that she needs to learn. Good luck through this rough time :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

UGH. I was a kid who got the chicken pox 3 times!!! I thought there was something wrong with me. Every time one of my younger siblings got it from someone at school ( usually when the were in Kindergarten) I ended up with them. Worse each time. My ped told my Mom there was nothing to do but wait it out. And that the vaccine just didn't set with me.

At least your little lady is young and Kindergarten means she is not missing crucial tests that make up parts of her grade. She can catch up and she probably just misses her friends more than anything. Good luck!

• Options

I got chicken pox in kindie (generalized, aweful case), then 6th grade (generalized, mild case).... then shingles in college (followed the dermatome down my right leg, itched like hell).  fun fun. 

it's not really that rare for a child to get chicken pox after the vaccine... usually if they do, it's a much milder case of CP.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"