Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

"With the next baby, I'm going to _______"

I find myself saying this a lot now that I have had my first LO, and I'm not so in the dark as a first time Mom-to-be.

With the next baby, I'm going to____________.

Fill in the blank! 

Re: "With the next baby, I'm going to _______"

• My fill in's:

-buy a big cozy glider to breastfeed him/her in

-take more pictures in the delivery room

-try CD'ing

-have LO latch on immediately after birth

-shop at Destination Maternity (I didn't discover this WONDERFUL store until after DS was born)

-try to enjoy pregnancy, instead of being excited that its almost over.

-be less nervous.  

• My fill in's:

-have LO latch on immediately after birth

-Be more relaxed

- Eat better

- Exercise more

- Learn to let others help when I need it.

• Loading the player...
  • come home from the hospital, get into bed w/ LO and stay there for a week while we work on breast feeding.  DH is in charge of DD #1, my mom takes care of me; if anybody wants to visit, I'll be in bed. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I know it sounds silly but honestly not much. I didn't have high expectations with dd (being pregnant, giving birth, nursing, etc), I just went with the flow and tried to stay relaxed.

I thought I was going to try and enjoy this pregnancy but I hate it just as much as I did with dd so I'm excited to be done.

I guess I would like to be able to take as many pictures of this LO as did/do of dd. I know how the 2nd kid curse is with pictures so that's my goal for right now. 

• imageKathrynMD:
    come home from the hospital, get into bed w/ LO and stay there for a week while we work on breast feeding.  DH is in charge of DD #1, my mom takes care of me; if anybody wants to visit, I'll be in bed. 

That is a great idea. I was so stressed about about BF'ing the first time, that I didn't do as well as I would have liked. Next time, I want to make it more of a priority. 

• Buy a bigger, better glider/ottoman

Cherish every single newborn baby moment

Take more pics the first month

Get newborn pro pics taken (I REALLY regret not doing these with DS)

Not buy as much clothes - b/c they're not necessary and will most likely not even wear half of what we already have!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • -Make time to BF when out in public. I didn't do this the first time & would just give him a bottle of pumped BM & it hurt my supply

-Enjoy the first weeks/months - DS was colicky so I wished the time away so he'd outgrow it.

-Take more pictures/video in the hospital & delivery

-Try CDing from the beginning

• - Use a SOOTHER right away!  I was so afraid of nipple confusion with DD#1 I really put it off.  She may not have taken it anyhow, but I'm sure gonna try sooner with the next one.

- wear baby#2 in my Moby from day one...mostly out of necessity running around after DD (I didn't get my Moby for DD until she was 2 or 3 mos old)

- not be such a slave to baby's nap schedule.  I will try to get this baby to nap out & about.  DD has to be in her crib, in the dark etc etc so we didn't get out much when she was napping 2-3 times a day.

- co-sleep in the beginning without reservation.  Now that we have a king size bed it won't be so squishy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pump and save BM! I had an awesome supply with DS and thought "oh this will never go away". So so stupid of me. My supply dropped to practically nothing within a day of going back to work. I tried everything to get it back and I didn't have a single oz of BM saved. Reglan finally helped me get to the point where we didn't have to supplement, but I finally gave up at 9 mo because it was making me so exhausted.

• - try CDing

- be more relaxed, I was so nervous & still am with DD

- do professional newborn pics, my aunt did DD's & I hate them but oh well

- Eat better & try to gain less...I gained 50+ with DD! But I also ate 1 bag of mini chocolate donuts everyother day.

• Get a Moby - I was scared of it the first time. Get newborn professional pictures done. Relax more when they're young and not feel pressured to do so much with her.
  • Not stress as much....how many oz of formula, which solids first, getting on a nap schedule, etc.  I was a wreck for the first year of DS life.  I will not do that to myself or my marriage again! 
  • - definitely take more pics in the hospital and while pregnant as well

- instead of sleeping on a futon in the baby's room, we'll just sleep on our nice comfy king sized guest bed if LO likes to co-sleep

- buy an exercise ball to bounce on instead of having a rocking chair 

- be willing to let go of the idea of breastfeeding earlier if my milk doesn't come in again... switch to a lactose-free/soy formula sooner if LO is colick-y 

- not be a martyr

- keep up with the babybook  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • -pump longer, take more pictures, enjoy my pregnancy.
  • Have baby put on my chest right after birth. I missed those first moments!

Work out more during pregnancy (and try not to gain so much weight)

Take NEWBORN professional pics. We didn't get to take them til DS was over 3 weeks old and they just weren't the same!

• Oh, yes professional newborn pics for us also!

And as dumb as it sounds, I want a Sophie the giraffe for the next baby.  I figure there won't be much for anyone to buy baby #2 - I plan to use all hand-me-downs-  so I'll have my mom buy me that.  She likes to buy gifts and I like that it's non-toxic.  Lame, I know.

• imageredhead2466:

Oh, yes professional newborn pics for us also!

And as dumb as it sounds, I want a Sophie the giraffe for the next baby.  I figure there won't be much for anyone to buy baby #2 - I plan to use all hand-me-downs-  so I'll have my mom buy me that.  She likes to buy gifts and I like that it's non-toxic.  Lame, I know.

I completely understand though. Everytime I go to BRU or BBB, I keep pointing at things and say "Next time I'm going to get that...and that....and that...and that" 

• try to do everything exactly the same.  :)  
  • With the next baby, I'm going to be a SAHM for 6+ months (if that's possible). I think it would really benefit our family. And then after 6 months or so look for a part-time job in graphic design. I find myself so stressed working full time. I can't imagine working full time (commuting 1 hr each way) with 2 kids.
  • Enjoy the present moment instead of looking forward to the next. Not worry about every little thing eventually they learn in their own time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • - wear baby #2 from the get go. DD never really liked it because I didn't do it much but I will have to with this one sine I will have a toddler running around.

Honestly, thats about it..I am making an effort to be much more relaxed with this pregnancy and I know I will BF this baby as well. I had thought I would want to be more consistent with introducing a bottle and pumping with baby #2 but now that I have never had to deal with weaning DD from a bottle, I don't regret not bottle feeding her. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • - not freak out as much the second the baby starts to whimper

- invest in a rocking chair for me

• Well, a ton of stuff that I wanted to do were cut off because of DS's early arival, he was taken away from me fast.

Take pictures when pregnant.  Last time I didn't get any, I was holding off untill I got huge, but the baby came early.

Get more pictures in the hospital of LO, get pics of me and LO together in the hospital after birth.

Not worry so much about breast feeding.  If it works, cool, if not, that's okay.

• My fill-ins:

-Not start EPing so early: I started at 3 weeks with LO because BFing was really painful and I had bloody milk-I got lazy and instead of nursing and pumping I just started pumping.  This time around I'll try to stick to BFing, hire a LC, and suffer through the pain because it's nothing compared to the torture of EPing for 9 months

-Have my mom stay with us the first few days, mainly to stave of IL's from dropping by un-announced and over-staying their welcome (I have to have a c-section and I'd like to just be on my couch, shirt off, BFing baby rather than constantly entertaining)

-Take more pictures in the hospital

-Schedule my c-section for 6 am so I only have to stay one night in the hospital rather than 4 like last time!

• - Film the delivery.
    - Get professional newborn pictures taken.

That's about it. I have a whole long list of what I want to differently during labor/delivery but that would be a looong post.

• image7*7*7bride:
    Not stress as much....how many oz of formula, which solids first, getting on a nap schedule, etc.  I was a wreck for the first year of DS life.  I will not do that to myself or my marriage again! 

• Definitely not worry as much about "what's next". She will learn to STTN, eat solids, crawl when she wants to.

Hopefully take as many pictures of DD as we have of DS.

Formula feed from the start, and not feel guilty about it.

Feel more confident about my choices as a parent....and not listen to those who tell me to let my child CIO as a newborn, or that I'm spoiling them too much by holding them, or whatever.

CD from the beginning

• Buy cuter maternity clothes. 

Get a different swing and bouncy seat.  I really don't like the ones we have now.

Eat better and excersize. 

Have a maid service come and help deep clean the house about a week before my c-section.

Have more freezer meals.  A lot of the time I just ate junk or starved because I was too tired to make anything. 

• With the next baby:

keep my MIL away from me! She did more harm than good to me for DS #1 especially when I was hormonal afterwards.

I'm going to pump 3 times a day instead of 2 at work.

I'm going to keep my pump parts in the refrigerator.

Both my siblings will be godparents. I agreed with DH that each of us should pick one and DH's brother assumed it was both him and his wife as godparents.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nurse longer
    image   image
  •  - Suppliment with formula in the beginning if neccessary.  DD wasn't getting enough breast milk for the first couple of days and ended up in the hospital with jaundice.  After pumping and supplimenting with formula she gained weight and was fine and then we went back to EBF. 
  • - take monthly pics and stick with it.  I did month photos on the day he was born, until about 6 mos, when he started eating the paper that I had the "month #". Then I never did another month photo shoot. Oh well.  Maybe I will get the stickers from Etsy for the next one.

- give ourselves a few days from when we get home from the hospital.  I was in the hospital for 6 days after DS, and when we got home, people came over within a day and I wish I had more time as a family before everyone started visiting.

• --take more pics in the delivery room

--get professional newborn pics taken

--not be afraid to be assertive even with close family. Tell everyone to wash their hands, not kiss the baby, etc. (we had some issues with this and I was still somewhat trying to be polite--not this time!)

--not stress as much about supply and pumping. Supplement earlier than this time if it's needed. Finally starting to supplement made pumping WAY better for me. 

--continue to not listen to anyone who tells me that I "shouldn't be holding the baby so much" or who says I should just "let her cry it out," but this time have even more confidence in following my instincts. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • -take more photos after delivery in hospital.

-wear baby #2.

-do everything else the same.  (as much as I can)

• - Buy a bouncy seat!

- try babywearing with a wrap.

- avoid having him/her sleep in our room in the beginning. Once we moved DS out of our room we ALL slept so much better.

• I have TONS of these! Mostly b/c I was too poor to do anything I wanted to do the first time around.

-Ditto on the big cozy glider (it will actually probably be a La Z Boy)

-Buy a stroller that swivels so he can face me or forward

-Get a 3D ultrasound

-Go med free (my epi just froze my legs so that was pointless)

-hire a birth photographer

-get professional newborn photos done

-use a midwife instead of an OB (I hated my Dr)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • * Not gain as much weight during pregnancy

* Take professional newborn pics and more maternity pics

* Enjoy the newborn phase instead of being so paranoid and freaked out that something was wrong

* Not even start rice cereal until 6 months - what a pain!

* Try not to get the baby addicted to nursing to sleep. Here we are at 14 months and still doing it. Ugh!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"