Blended Families
Options

intro and question, re: telling SK's about new baby

hi there! dh and i are expecting our first baby together (although this is our 5th pg, it's the only one that hasn't ended in an early loss). dh and i have been together for 8 years and married for 2. my SS's are 12 and 9 so i have known them for the better part of their lives and the youngest will not remember a time without me in his life. we plan to tell them tomorrow about the new baby since i had a great u/s this morning and this is the most pg i have ever been. they do not know about any of the other pg's nor do they know we were trying. at one point we talked to them about what they thought of having another sibling and the younger said he would love it and the older said "whatever." i'm worried that this will be too much for the older one (he just started at a new middle school, his mom's bf just moved in and his mom is getting married next year). we need to tell them soon becuase frankly i am starting to get a little belly! i get along pretty well with BM and it isn't a terribly rocky divorce (dh and BM get together to discipline when it's something big). any suggestions on breaking the news to the kids? im so excited to tell them just a little worried about how they will react. sorry if you get asked this alot; i lurked for a bit and read through some posts but didn't see anything about telling SK's about a new baby.

ETA: sorry about the double post...dont know what happened there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: intro and question, re: telling SK's about new baby

• Options

Have you talked to them before about adding on to the family?  I have 2 Sk's Girl 10 and Boy 9 and they have been waiting for this to happen for 2 years.  They are excited!  In fact, each week I put up the growth of the baby so they know how big the baby is, what baby is learning to do now, etc.  Then they are going to come to the big ultrasound so see the baby and find out if they are having a baby brother or sister.

We told them at 5 weeks by giving them jars of baby food as a snack.  It took them a second to figure it out but they are excited.

• Options
    My only advice is not to act like you are breaking news to them, that implies something bad is about to happen.  This is a happy occasion and you need to treat it as such.  Get them something (even if it is something little) to show them that they are going to be big brothers and that you are excited to expand your existing family...you know, make it go from 4 people to 5.  If questions are asked then answer them honestly...like where will the baby sleep, how will it affect the boys, etc.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"