Attachment Parenting
Options

Rolling Off Floor Bed

Tonight is our first night of using a floor bed.  DS wakes up in the middle of the night and insists upon playing after eating.  If he makes it out of the crib (with the help of DH) he seems content playing by himself until he's ready to go back to sleep.  Making him stay in the crib brings on the hysterics.  The floor bed seems like the perfect solution.  

But there is one issue.  The poor kid rolls around like crazy in his sleep and has already rolled off 4 times since he went to bed!  Of course that results in a scream fest!

Any suggestions as to how we can help him stay on the mattress, but can leave when he wants?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rolling Off Floor Bed

• Options
    Surround it with pillows and comforters?  Rolling off would be like rolling down a ramp...  I've been experimenting with that and also just ringing him with quilts folded so they look like barriers and he calls to be taken out instead of trying to do it himself.
  • Options
    We just started a floor bed for naps and I put the body pillow I bought while pregnant on the floor next to it.
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  I made a little barrier along the long side of the mattress using his laundry baskets fully of clothing and diapers with his changing pad on top for tonight.

Tomorrow we'll work on some of the suggestions!

• Options
    How big is his floor bed?  We started our daughter off on her crib mattress but she rolled off too frequently.  Now she is on a full size futon mattress and it is rarely, if ever, a problem.
  • Options

imageBee.:
    How big is his floor bed?  We started our daughter off on her crib mattress but she rolled off too frequently.  Now she is on a full size futon mattress and it is rarely, if ever, a problem.

He is on his crib mattress.  I suggested getting a full sized mattress since that is what his crib will need when we make it into a real bed.  DH is skeptical that we will continue with the floor bed so he doesn't want to spend the money just yet-rightfully so.

We hope to purchase a futon in the next few weeks for our tv room so I might let Kiddo take it for a test drive.  If it works we might be able to spring for a second and just call it the "spare!"

• Options
    We have DD on a queen and she still rolls off at least once or twice a week.  Luckily it's pretty easy to just soothe her and lay her back down and she goes right back to sleep.  Pillow barriers definitely help.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    Ri was just on the crib mattress on the floor and he would roll off and wake up screaming 3-4xs a night until about a month ago when we converted his crib to a full size bed and bought him the mattress...we have a bed rail on it and nice wide steps at the small opening for him to climb in and out of...he now sleeps through the night and rolls around his bed like CRAZY! well he dosn't wake me up anyway, who knows if hes actually sleeping all night or not
  • Options

I know you posted this a few days ago, but was just reading through and thought this might help.  We do a floor bed as well and I got these great bumpers on Amazon.com.  They are wonderful.  They fit under the bed sheet and stay in place.  Our little one will try to crawl over them occasionally when he is awake and playing but he doesn't fall out of the bed at all when sleeping.  Check them out, well worth the money IMO!

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers-Child-Safety-Guard/dp/B003KFCV6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1283265977&sr=8-1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"