Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

NBR & Highly Controversial re: Mosque near Ground Zero

Re: NBR & Highly Controversial re: Mosque near Ground Zero

• Options
    I am glad that you don't vote but I do think its shameful that you chose to be ignorant about current events and history and dismiss anything that you haven't heard about as "not that big of a deal". As for the proposed muslim gay bar, it doesn't sound like a very sound business proposal (would you want to go into a gay bar right across the street from your church?) I have no problem with him building it there. Hey maybe it will work and will serve an underserved clientele. More power to him.
    "I
  • Options
    imagedarlinghusband:

Just couldn't stay quiet the whole time.

The ground zero mosque issue is not really an issue. The Constitution protects the religious rights of all religions and the right not to believe. The Constitution also protects the rights of organizations and individuals to own and administer legally owned property. The laws regarding the regulation and enforcement of zoning, something I often don?t agree with, have permitted the use of this building by the organization wanting to build a center there. Everything else is irrelevant.

There were 63 known Muslim victims on that day. Not 300.

If we truly desire to defeat terrorism, then we have to understand what terrorism is. It is a tactic that uses fear to force people to act in ways that are against their nature or beliefs. To defeat terrorism, we must embrace the ideals of freedom and liberty and protect the rights of all individuals and not just those of a select few. The path that some politicians have chosen for political expediency, the religious crusade of some, this hatred of the other: these things are not American ideals, they are fascist ones.

I do think it is harsh to posit straw man arguments about the Olympics to satisfy a need to belittle someone who has clearly lead with their feelings and their opinions. That is what the post origin asked for. How can they be wrong if they did just that.  I don't recall anyone say they were going to 'act' on anything. Only what they 'feel' is the way things are or are happening. Please see the previous paragraph and note that you are no better than what you stand against if you can't respect someones admitted opinion.

In the spirit of the original thread, what do you all think about this?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/greg-gutfield-to-open-a-gay-bar-next-to-ground-zero-mosque-to-cater-to-islamic-gay-men/

Since he has the investor money like the Mosque and the law on his side, then what opinions do you have on this?

I 100% agree with the bolded section - and you are right; kimi is absolutely entitled to her opinion.  However, most of us form opinions based on more than just feelings, and offering up the Olympic bombing was meant as a way of providing broader context.  We experienced acts of domestic terrorism that were religiously motivated prior to 9/11 - we simply didn't talk about the religious aspects as much because the majority are Christian. I don't think it was a straw man, and it most certainly wasn't meant to belittle Kimi.

As for the gay bar, fine - super.  It's legal and the right of the owner to open it.  If his motives are to break down barries, cool. If his motives are to piss off Muslims, it's kind of douchey but it's his legal right. 

Kimi, I appreciate that you are not suggesting that this community center be prevented from going up. And I appreciate your willingness to talk more about it. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetalltalltrees:
    I am glad that you don't vote but I do think its shameful that you chose to be ignorant about current events and history and dismiss anything that you haven't heard about as "not that big of a deal". As for the proposed muslim gay bar, it doesn't sound like a very sound business proposal (would you want to go into a gay bar right across the street from your church?) I have no problem with him building it there. Hey maybe it will work and will serve an underserved clientele. More power to him.

I'm sorry...I just have to differ with you on this. If something happens and it doesn't make it any discussion at my DH's work or in his Marine's email newsletter that goes around, any discussions on FB, or brought up while I'm out and about while in public....it must not be "that big of a deal." I'm just looking at the facts here. If it happens, and you don't hear about it at all. Ever. Until it's "old news" and no one cares about it any more...how could it have been that big?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageepphd:
    imagedarlinghusband:

Just couldn't stay quiet the whole time.

The ground zero mosque issue is not really an issue. The Constitution protects the religious rights of all religions and the right not to believe. The Constitution also protects the rights of organizations and individuals to own and administer legally owned property. The laws regarding the regulation and enforcement of zoning, something I often don?t agree with, have permitted the use of this building by the organization wanting to build a center there. Everything else is irrelevant.

There were 63 known Muslim victims on that day. Not 300.

If we truly desire to defeat terrorism, then we have to understand what terrorism is. It is a tactic that uses fear to force people to act in ways that are against their nature or beliefs. To defeat terrorism, we must embrace the ideals of freedom and liberty and protect the rights of all individuals and not just those of a select few. The path that some politicians have chosen for political expediency, the religious crusade of some, this hatred of the other: these things are not American ideals, they are fascist ones.

I do think it is harsh to posit straw man arguments about the Olympics to satisfy a need to belittle someone who has clearly lead with their feelings and their opinions. That is what the post origin asked for. How can they be wrong if they did just that.  I don't recall anyone say they were going to 'act' on anything. Only what they 'feel' is the way things are or are happening. Please see the previous paragraph and note that you are no better than what you stand against if you can't respect someones admitted opinion.

In the spirit of the original thread, what do you all think about this?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/greg-gutfield-to-open-a-gay-bar-next-to-ground-zero-mosque-to-cater-to-islamic-gay-men/

Since he has the investor money like the Mosque and the law on his side, then what opinions do you have on this?

I 100% agree with the bolded section - and you are right; kimi is absolutely entitled to her opinion.  However, most of us form opinions based on more than just feelings, and offering up the Olympic bombing was meant as a way of providing broader context.  We experienced acts of domestic terrorism that were religiously motivated prior to 9/11 - we simply didn't talk about the religious aspects as much because the majority are Christian. I don't think it was a straw man, and it most certainly wasn't meant to belittle Kimi.

As for the gay bar, fine - super.  It's legal and the right of the owner to open it.  If his motives are to break down barries, cool. If his motives are to piss off Muslims, it's kind of douchey but it's his legal right. 

Kimi, I appreciate that you are not suggesting that this community center be prevented from going up. And I appreciate your willingness to talk more about it. 

I don't think he meant you, epphd. I believe he meant that those who belittled me by saying "OMG! I can't believe you didn't know about the Olympics bombing!! You're so ignorant and you should be ashamed!!" had straw man arguments.

• Options

imageToledoDeux:
    I, for one, am very, very happy to hear that kimi does not vote because she doesn't know enough.  I wish more people were that self-aware.

I don't think that means what you think it means. (spoken with a Spanish accent) :)

Main Entry: self?aware?ness
    Function: noun
    Date: 1880

: an awareness of one's own personality or individuality

• Options
    imagedarlinghusband:

imageToledoDeux:
    I, for one, am very, very happy to hear that kimi does not vote because she doesn't know enough.  I wish more people were that self-aware.

I don't think that means what you think it means. (spoken with a Spanish accent) :)

Is this a weird call-out?  A joke I'm not getting?  Wha?

• Options
    imagekimilane:
    imageLaurierGirl28:

imageToledoDeux:

Amen.

Put a better way: "Me too, Me too" on the term self aware not meaning what you think it means. (I am going to guess you meant the voting thing)  Her voting, just like the mosque, is a 'right' that the constitution is affording her and your opinion on the matter has no bearing. Sadly, you would rather her not vote and shut her up. This is exactly what this thread was started to discuss. Your statement is exactly against what you are denouncing with regards to the Muslim mosque. She has a right to vote and chooses not to (her on admission) because she would rather not insert herself 'officially' with an uninformed decision. At least she is being true to herself and displaying a consistent message to others. I would argue there is something wrong with her not voting, but it is not something to advocate.

imageLaurierGirl28:
    I'm sorry, but the fact that you don't read, watch the news, vote, or learn about anything that happened prior to adulthood is shameful, ignorant, and quite frankly, embarrasing.

This is a little out of civility and I just want to quote The Breakfast Club with, "You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful"

Maybe the topic is too much to take on with some on this board. I guess we will see.

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagedarlinghusband:

imageToledoDeux:

Is this a weird call-out?  A joke I'm not getting?  Wha?

You know, "I" am the one to misread your post. You are completely correct. I apologize. (I was trying to read several of the posts on this thread, and got this one mixed into the one after it. :(

I agree with you. (The spanish accent was "Domingo Montoya") 

/read me trying to be funny to lighten the mood.

• Options
    imagekimilane:

imagetalltalltrees:

I'm sorry...I just have to differ with you on this. If something happens and it doesn't make it any discussion at my DH's work or in his Marine's email newsletter that goes around, any discussions on FB, or brought up while I'm out and about while in public....it must not be "that big of a deal." I'm just looking at the facts here. If it happens, and you don't hear about it at all. Ever. Until it's "old news" and no one cares about it any more...how could it have been that big?

OMG.  So if a world event is not discussed by the Marines or on Facebook, it is not that big a deal?   Am I reading you correctly?

Look, just admit that you don't care about everything that goes on in the world.  No one has to be hyperaware of every single political event or tragedy that takes place.  But to conclude that if little old YOU doesn't hear about them, they're not really "big deals" is a pretty goddamn myopic viewpoint.

• Options
    imagekimilane:

imagetalltalltrees:

Sorry but I don't think a marine newsletter and facebook are the end all be all measure of whether something is important or not.
    "I
  • Options

You two ladies seem to have forgotten to include DH's workplace discussions as well as anything I am exposed to while out in public.

Again, sorry y'all don't agree but that's how I see it. If something isn't big enough to be discussed by ANYONE around me by the time it becomes old news and no one is talking about it anymore...why should I care about it? Explain that to me, and maybe I'll see your point.

• Options
    imagekimilane:

You two ladies seem to have forgotten to include DH's workplace discussions as well as anything I am exposed to while out in public.

Again, sorry y'all don't agree but that's how I see it. If something isn't big enough to be discussed by ANYONE around me by the time it becomes old news and no one is talking about it anymore...why should I care about it? Explain that to me, and maybe I'll see your point.

Oh, noes!  We forgot about the workplace discussions of your husband!   You're right - so very silly of us to dismiss these as part of your extensive information-gathering.

Why should you care?  Because you live in the world, ffs.  Because big domestic and world events influence each other.  Because you possess and want to express opinions about something as potentially impactful as allowing the construction of an Islamic community center near Ground Zero, yet clearly have no intellectual curiosity to understand the context of this event other than "it wasn't on Facebook."  

Of course you can have opinions.  But some opinions are better informed (and, I'm sorry, more valuable) than others.

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:

Oh, noes!  We forgot about the workplace discussions of your husband!   You're right - so very silly of us to dismiss these as part of your extensive information-gathering.

Why should you care?  Because you live in the world, ffs.  Because big domestic and world events influence each other.  Because you possess and want to express opinions about something as potentially impactful as allowing the construction of an Islamic community center near Ground Zero, yet clearly have no intellectual curiosity to understand the context of this event other than "it wasn't on Facebook."  

Of course you can have opinions.  But some opinions are better informed (and, I'm sorry, more valuable) than others.

I obviously do have intellectual curiosity. Just because I don't read the newspaper or watch the news does not mean I don't gather facts any other way. I simply cannot understand why you ladies can't grasp this concept. Can you tell me of one recent event that's happened that didn't make it onto your Facebook page or you didn't hear about it from a friend or you didn't see something about it while in a store or out in a restaurant or just out living your life? Yes, I miss things but the truly big things get talked about.

Also, can you cite one time in this entire discussion where I incorrectly stated something because I'm not "better informed"?

• Options

imagekimilane:
    Can you tell me of one recent event that's happened that didn't make it onto your Facebook page or you didn't hear about it from a friend or you didn't see something about it while in a store or out in a restaurant or just out living your life?

I could cite dozens of them. But you'd probably think I was making them up, since you've heard about all important things in this world :)

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • Options
    imagemxolisi:

imagekimilane:
    Can you tell me of one recent event that's happened that didn't make it onto your Facebook page or you didn't hear about it from a friend or you didn't see something about it while in a store or out in a restaurant or just out living your life?

I could cite dozens of them. But you'd probably think I was making them up, since you've heard about all important things in this world :)

Never said that. I said that I hear about big news. I know that what's important to some people aren't important to others.

• Options
    imagekimilane:
    imagemxolisi:

imagekimilane:

Never said that. I said that I hear about big news. I know that what's important to some people aren't important to others.

Uh, yes, you said that if you didn't hear about it, it's not a big deal.

• Options
    imagekimilane:
    imagemxolisi:

imagekimilane:

Ok. Let's test it. Tell me what you think the 5 biggest news stories are right now--besides this mosque bs.

I'm sure you don't think genocide is important, so I'll offer that the Khmer Rouge trials probably don't make your top 100.

"We tend to be patronizing about the poor in a very specific sense, which is that we tend to think,
  • Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imagekimilane:
    imagemxolisi:

imagekimilane:

Right. But since I can't rightly define what's "important", how can I say that I've heard about all the important things in the world? Can you define an "important event" for me?

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:

Check this out. Thought it might provoke some thought in this area since we all are getting warmed up on the subject of what is important or a big deal. As we all know, it is a relative concept.

The Monkeysphere

https://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

or more clearly, Dunbar's Number

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

basics:

Dunbar's number is a theoretical cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is, and how each person relates to every other person.

• Options
    imagemajorwife:

"Big" news stories that are NOT on my FB:

The Mosque

Troops returning home for Iraq

Mudslide in China

Salmonella eggs

Gulf oil spill

I'd add to this list:

flooding in Pakistan (one of the largest natural disasters in history

Israel/Iran (will they attack the nuke sites?)

the CAPRISA 004 microbicide trial

the extradition of Viktor Bout

the Benin pyramid scheme that seems poised to bring down government

the ISI declaring militant groups within Pakistani territory a greater threat to national security than India

Sarkozy's crackdown on the Roma

Vincente Fox's declaration that Mexico should decriminalize drugs

Germany's impressive economic recovery

Of course I'm sure these are just things that are important to ME, not to the wider world Tongue Tied.

• Options
    imagemajorwife:

"Big" news stories that are NOT on my FB:

The Mosque

Troops returning home for Iraq

Mudslide in China

Salmonella eggs

Gulf oil spill

Although Kimi - you can friend NPR and all the other news sources on FB, so maybe you can learn more about the "big" news stories from FB

3 of these have been on my FB. Also, although it's a good idea to friend NPR or other news to get my news that would sort of defeat the purpose of my "filter". I don't want to be exposed to all the blood, guts, and gore of the news and I don't need to hear about every single serial killer or child abuse case. It's just depressing and I choose not to expose myself to it.

• Options
    mxolisi, you're right. I've not heard of any of these. However...what I find most amusing about all of this discussion is that in my day to day life, I'm currently being exposed to these news stories without having read them in a newspaper or watching the news. *gasp!*
  • Options
    imagekimilane:
    I don't want to be exposed to all the blood, guts, and gore of the news and I don't need to hear about every single serial killer or child abuse case. It's just depressing and I choose not to expose myself to it.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there is also a lot of really interesting, good and inspiring stuff happening every day around the world? By blocking out the news you're missing that too.

• Options
    imagemxolisi:
    imagekimilane:
    I don't want to be exposed to all the blood, guts, and gore of the news and I don't need to hear about every single serial killer or child abuse case. It's just depressing and I choose not to expose myself to it.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there is also a lot of really interesting, good and inspiring stuff happening every day around the world? By blocking out the news you're missing that too.

So wait...going based on your previous list of "big news"...1 was good. Tell me again why I should wade through all the other stuff that the news puts out just to get 1 out of 9 good news articles.

• Options

imagekimilane:
    mxolisi, you're right. I've not heard of any of these. However...what I find most amusing about all of this discussion is that in my day to day life, I'm currently being exposed to these news stories without having read them in a newspaper or watching the news. *gasp!*

You're not making sense though. The stories I just named are among some of the most widely reported in the world right now. So no, you're not being exposed to them without reading the newspaper or watching the news because you've just admitted that you haven't heard of any of them!

The flooding in Pakistan has affected more people than the Haitian earthquake, the genocide in Darfur, the Indian Ocean tsunami and Cyclone Nargis--COMBINED. Don't you think it's a little bit disturbing that you haven't heard about it?

• Options
    imagekimilane:
    imagemxolisi:
    imagekimilane:

So wait...going based on your previous list of "big news"...1 was good. Tell me again why I should wade through all the other stuff that the news puts out just to get 1 out of 9 good news articles.

Um no. At least 3 of them can be considered objectively good. Others have good aspects to them. It's telling that you know so little about what is going on the world that you assumed all of those things were bad!

• Options

imagekimilane:

Yes, we all hear about things in our everyday lives, but by relying on your DH or your FB friends as your only source if information is what bothers me.  Everyone has bias.  What you are "hearing" is filtered through however many sources before you hear it.  People will also either intentionally or not put a spin on something.  Sometimes we don't even realize it when we are relaying information.  You need to consider that what you "hear" and are exposed to may not be the unvarnished truth.  

I understand that you don't want to hear about all the "bad stuff."  Every once in a while DH will call/email me and say don't read such and such story because it is horrible.  (It is usually about some horrific child abuse case.) But  I don't censor all news because of one story.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemxolisi:

imagekimilane:

You're not making sense though. The stories I just named are among some of the most widely reported in the world right now. So no, you're not being exposed to them without reading the newspaper or watching the news because you've just admitted that you haven't heard of any of them!

The flooding in Pakistan has affected more people than the Haitian earthquake, the genocide in Darfur, the Indian Ocean tsunami and Cyclone Nargis--COMBINED. Don't you think it's a little bit disturbing that you haven't heard about it?

You're my exposure. That's what I was saying. Also, forgive me if my post comes across weird. This is my first time replying from my iPhone.
  • Options
    imagemajorwife:
    Kimi - Not to be rude, but did you have a degree?
    I have an Associates in Science. What does that have to do with any of this?
  • Options
    imagegrapeape73:

imagekimilane:

Yes, we all hear about things in our everyday lives, but by relying on your DH or your FB friends as your only source if information is what bothers me.  Everyone has bias.  What you are "hearing" is filtered through however many sources before you hear it.  People will also either intentionally or not put a spin on something.  Sometimes we don't even realize it when we are relaying information.  You need to consider that what you "hear" and are exposed to may not be the unvarnished truth.  

I understand that you don't want to hear about all the "bad stuff."  Every once in a while DH will call/email me and say don't read such and such story because it is horrible.  (It is usually about some horrific child abuse case.) But  I don't censor all news because of one story.

I understand what you're saying but I do my own looking into subjects when they come up. I don't just go by my friends' and family's opinions on the matter. I just use them as a starting point to figure out what I should look into.
  • Options
    imagekimilane:

You're my exposure. That's what I was saying. Also, forgive me if my post comes across weird. This is my first time replying from my iPhone.

With all due respect, I wouldn't call my listing a bunch of random events "exposure." You really know more about the CAPRISA trial than you did before? I highly doubt it, since you referred to it as a "bad" event.

I think what you're not understanding here is that getting information from third-hand sources is not effective. Why on earth would you believe a random person on the internet's (or even a random coworker of your husband's) interpretation of events?  I could tell you that the CAPRISA trial proved that vaccines cause autism. Why should you believe me? Wouldn't it be better to read an unbiased account of it from a respected newspaper?

• Options
    imagemxolisi:
    imagekimilane:

With all due respect, I wouldn't call my listing a bunch of random events "exposure." You really know more about the CAPRISA trial than you did before? I highly doubt it, since you referred to it as a "bad" event.

I think what you're not understanding here is that getting information from third-hand sources is not effective. Why on earth would you believe a random person on the internet's (or even a random coworker of your husband's) interpretation of events?  I could tell you that the CAPRISA trial proved that vaccines cause autism. Why should you believe me? Wouldn't it be better to read an unbiased account of it from a respected newspaper?

* sigh* It's called "Google."

https://www1.voanews.com/english/news/africa/decapua-aids2010-caprisa004-20jul10-98825884.html

There. Happy? It's a gel to help stop the transmission of HIV. So far it's 39% effective. You're right. It's a good thing. I get it...all I'm saying is I get my LIST of top news from day to day life then take it upon myself to research said list instead of hearing what the news channels and journalists have to say about it in the newspaper or on the news with 20 different stories about child abuse or neglect or robberies or murders in between. I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, as far as the bold print goes: I'd know if that were the case, it would have been plastered all over TB for days.

• Options

You know...I get it. You all don't like my methods of getting news. I honestly don't care. You get yours your way, I get mine my way. The point of this whole post was supposed to be about how we feel about the mosque being built near Ground Zero. Why, when you ladies found out how I get the "headlines" of my news stories, are my opinions all the sudden invalid or any less important than the rest of yours? I fully research the subject to form my opinions and even if I hadn't...I never tried to pass them off as anything but my opinions. Why do you care how I become informed about today's events? Whether I'm informed about them all or not, I'm still informed on the one we were originally discussing. I don't enter into conversations I'm not willing to put the effort into finding out about...I just don't get why it was so important to you "ladies" to trample all over my choices.

• Options

You seem to be really wary of learning about specific types of stories, and I think maybe you are looking at the wrong news sites.  There are definitely some great news websites that focus on stories that go beyond the five o'clock gore that some local news channels seem to focus on.

Here are some that I like:

https://www.npr.org/

https://www.reuters.com/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

https://news.yahoo.com/ (this is actually my go to since it has news stories from a variety of sources.)

Sure, it's not always sunshine and roses, but life rarely is. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    imagekimilane:

You know...I get it. You all don't like my methods of getting news. I honestly don't care. You get yours your way, I get mine my way. The point of this whole post was supposed to be about how we feel about the mosque being built near Ground Zero. Why, when you ladies found out how I get the "headlines" of my news stories, are my opinions all the sudden invalid or any less important than the rest of yours? I fully research the subject to form my opinions and even if I hadn't...I never tried to pass them off as anything but my opinions. Why do you care how I become informed about today's events? Whether I'm informed about them all or not, I'm still informed on the one we were originally discussing. I don't enter into conversations I'm not willing to put the effort into finding out about...I just don't get why it was so important to you "ladies" to trample all over my choices.

Personally I care because I think it makes for more interesting conversations. I like being challenged in my viewpoints as long as the challenger can back up her side.  I also care because I get the sense you are actually a smart person and that you might enjoy learning more extensively about current events.  This thread took a turn - that happens all the time and it isn't always a bad thing.

Last, I care because it makes me sad to see a woman who chooses to remain uninformed - or at least, prefers to limit how informed she is. Huh?

• Options

imagemajorwife:
    I can't think of the last blood and guts story I saw on NPR.  I think your ostrich approach to the news is more than a little silly.

Upon doing further research on mxolisi's list...I found this. This is more "blood and guts" than I prefer to expose myself to. Here's what I would censor myself from by not listening to NPR:

• "Splatters of blood can still be seen on the floors, walls and ceiling."
    • "One shows a bird picking at the remains of a torture victim lying on an iron bed"
    • "where the detained were subjected to electric shock, mock drownings, and had their fingernails and toenails pulled out."
    • "In one memo, a guard asks Duch what to do with the prisoners ? six boys and three girls ? accused of being enemies of the state. Duch wrote "Kill every last one" across the top of the memo."

I have a right to choose what kinds of things I get exposed to, and I choose for them not to be about torture and bad images like those listed above. Yes, I get that this story is about one of the men responsible for these atrocities being held accountable finally, but I just don't like reading news articles about the "good" things like this because the journalists never put it into a good light. They always have to expound on the negatives and make sure they pull the audience in with their horrible details of the prison and how the people were kept and killed and then buried in mass graves. Why can't they just skip over the gory details and say that he's being held accountable? That's sort of my whole point with this...I don't enjoy all the horrible details about what humanity has the capability of doing to one another. If I'm going to hear about this, I'd rather hear from my dad or a friend of mine that "The Khmer Official was sentenced to 35 years in prison." I can then say "Who's that?" and they'll say (knowing me and knowing that I don't like all the horrible details) "A guy that was responsible for mass genocide in Cambodia a while back." Then viola! I'm up to speed without having to hear about how the prisoners were kept and the blood still splattered on the wall. I choose to censor what I see and hear. I choose to allow my loved ones to be the ones that do that for me.

• Options
    imageepphd:

You seem to be really wary of learning about specific types of stories, and I think maybe you are looking at the wrong news sites.  There are definitely some great news websites that focus on stories that go beyond the five o'clock gore that some local news channels seem to focus on.

Here are some that I like:

https://www.npr.org/

https://www.reuters.com/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

https://news.yahoo.com/ (this is actually my go to since it has news stories from a variety of sources.)

Sure, it's not always sunshine and roses, but life rarely is

See my post above. I'm sheltered. I like it that way. Call me "old fashioned" I suppose, but I prefer not to be scared every where I go or over exposed to the blood and guts and gore of the world.

What I don't think y'all understand is that my world is a lot of sunshine and roses, but that's because of how I choose to live my life. I don't let the bad stuff in. Do I know it's out there happening? Of course. I'm not stupid (despite what some of you have insinuated). Do I know that bad things can happen to me? Yes. Again, I'm not stupid. Do I choose to expose myself to all the bad stuff that's going on in the world that I live in today? No. That's my choice.

**Edited to change "below" to "above" since referenced post is above this one, not below.**

• Options
    imageepphd:

Personally I care because I think it makes for more interesting conversations. I like being challenged in my viewpoints as long as the challenger can back up her side.  I also care because I get the sense you are actually a smart person and that you might enjoy learning more extensively about current events.  This thread took a turn - that happens all the time and it isn't always a bad thing.

Last, I care because it makes me sad to see a woman who chooses to remain uninformed - or at least, prefers to limit how informed she is. Huh?

So you didn't find the conversation interesting before everyone found out I don't read the newspaper or watch the news or vote? Were you not challenged in your viewpoints and could I not back up my side?

I am a smart person, but the only current events I wish to learn about are those that actually have something to offer as far as benefiting my or my family's lives. Call me selfish, but that's the bottom line. Obviously if something like the mosque discussion falls into my lap and I have the time, I'll research it then too. Otherwise, if it's not beneficial I ignore it.

Why does it make you sad that I choose to limit how informed I am? What is sad about my situation?

• Options
    imagekimilane:
    imageepphd:

So you didn't find the conversation interesting before everyone found out I don't read the newspaper or watch the news or vote? Were you not challenged in your viewpoints and could I not back up my side?

I am a smart person, but the only current events I wish to learn about are those that actually have something to offer as far as benefiting my or my family's lives. Call me selfish, but that's the bottom line. Obviously if something like the mosque discussion falls into my lap and I have the time, I'll research it then too. Otherwise, if it's not beneficial I ignore it.

Why does it make you sad that I choose to limit how informed I am? What is sad about my situation?

No, you couldn't back up your side. You threw out a story about a church that was being "prevented" from being rebuilt - and it wasn't accurate. 

You can see my post in your FFFC as to why it makes me sad that women disproportionately seem OK with sheltering themselves from information.

If you are happy with what you learn and what you know and don't know, that's great. However, when you weigh in on subjects that are controversial, and then respond to a legitimate question about your position with "I don't read the news", you open yourself up to an attack on just how knowledgeable on the subject you are.  Your opinion carries less weight as a result.  If you're fine with that, super.  I would not be.

• Options

I think it's sad because I think people have a responsibility to be aware of what is going on in the world and how their choices impact it.

You are absolutely right that there is a lot of bad stuff in this world. And I want to be as sure as I can be that I'm not directly contributing to it--whether it is child slavery on sugar plantations in the Dominican Republic,pork processors locking their illegal immigrant workers in the plants where they work or American cotton subsidies placing an overwhelming burden of poverty and debt on Sahelian farmers.

I do have power to not contribute to these situations--and even to better them, but I can't exercise that power unless I make myself aware of what is happening. In the religious tradition in which I was raised, to be willfully ignorant when we have the power to act is as much a sin as knowingly causing harm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"