Multiples
Options

Anyone nurse one baby and give the other formula?

My girls turn 1 next week, and one has started losing interest in nursing.  Not a full strike...she latches and will start nursing but pulls off after about 45 seconds.  She is teething, so I am hoping that this is a temporary thing, but tonight, I had one nursing and fed the other with a sippy of formula in tandem.  I don't mind waiting it out for a few days, but this is so tough-I am not ready to stop nursing, and neither is the other baby.  Have you been in this situation, and if so, what did you do?  Thanks.  :)

Re: Anyone nurse one baby and give the other formula?

• Options

I am not in that situation, but I know that a friend of mine is a twin, and her mom nursed her brother (who was able to come home from the hospital soon after birth) and gave my friend formula (she was in the NICU for 2 months).  Both of them are healthy as adults!

I would say you could pump a few times a day and feed pumped breast milk to your daughter if you want to keep giving her breast milk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I did, well now they both get formula, but for the first 2 months DD got EBM and DS got Neocate (a type of formula).

DS was in the NICU for a few weeks longer due to a severe milk protein allergy and we decided to stay with the formula that finally made him feel better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since they're almost 1, could you go ahead and transition the weaning twin onto milk?
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Both my DD's weaned themselves like that from nursing at almost exactly 1 yr. and we transitioned very easily right to Vitamin D milk. She may be ready and needs that so I would just transition both to cow's milk. You could still nurse the one baby for comfort since you son't want to stop yet maybe for a bedtime feeding. GL:)
    Caroline Faith 1.10.06, Audrey Alexis 11.1.07, Noah James & Ethan Alexander 6.17.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"