Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Sorority hazing

I am watching Primetime What Would You Do.  If you haven't seen it before... they set up various scenarios to see what bystanders would do when faced with tough situations.

They staged a fraternity, then a sorority hazing on the street in a college town.  They had the boys in diapers and leashes, being forced to chug alcohol, eat live goldfish, and Seran wrapped to light poles.  

With the sorority they had the girls circling each other's fat, writing the words "slut" across the pledges' bodies, tell them they are worthless, and forcing them to drink alcohol too.

The part that I find most frightening is that so many people did nothing.  They stopped to take pictures, or just watched.  A 15 year old girl even stopped to help participate.  She was confronted by the host after, and asked if she felt bad and she said no, she thought it was funny.

People are idiots, it's truly amazing.

Yes, I was in a sorority.  I was even vice-President.  I would NEVER participate in stuff like this though, and was always anti-hazing.   I know the reality that it happens everywhere, and people will do it because they want to belong so badly.

/rant

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sorority hazing

• Options

ITA, i see news reports all the time about girls and boys getting seriously injured and such. After listening to people my parents age talk about hazing and such in there day, it is sooooooo much more dangerous now!!!

I hope neither DD ever has to deal with that. 

• Options
    I actually started watching this tonight and quickly changed the channel.  I was in a sorority too and this stuff just didn't happen.  I can't stand to watch the Greek system get such bad press like this show is doing right now.  There are sooo many positives that come out of being in a sorority and no one ever talks about those.  okay, now my rant is over too. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageteresadrew17:
    I actually started watching this tonight and quickly changed the channel.  I was in a sorority too and this stuff just didn't happen.  I can't stand to watch the Greek system get such bad press like this show is doing right now.  There are sooo many positives that come out of being in a sorority and no one ever talks about those.  okay, now my rant is over too. :)

This stuff def does happen though.  Not on a public street, but it DOES happen, and we are kidding ourselves by saying that it doesn't, or that it was different when we were in sororities.

Groupthink is dangerous.

• Options
    It probably does happen at certain schools, but on a public street? come on. I just think that major media should spent more time promoting the good that can come from being in a sorority such as the friendships, the philanthropy, the support system and even the career help.  Can you tell I was an Advisor for 3 years? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageteresadrew17:
    It probably does happen at certain schools, but on a public street? come on. I just think that major media should spent more time promoting the good that can come from being in a sorority such as the friendships, the philanthropy, the support system and even the career help.  Can you tell I was an Advisor for 3 years? :)

Haha yeah, I can.  I was in the sorority, it served it's purpose, I made friends, and that was that. 

• Options

imageteresadrew17:

I think the purpose of this show is to make aware that people out there are not getting involved with clear wrongdoing is occurred.  Nowadays we have this "mind our own business" mentality.  Folks are afraid to help stranded motorists because they might get carjacked or killed.  You can no longer trust that someone is really looking for their lost puppy.  I don't think the intent is to put frat/sororities in a bad light since the show doesn't just focus on that every episode.  I think they just want to say, "Hey, if this was real and someone died and you stood there and watched without directly or indirectly intervening that would suck and be on your conscious."  

• Options

DH and I both watched this episode tonight.  We were both greek with completely different experiences.  I think sororities have done a MUCH better job than fraternities of eliminating instances of hazing.  It was unheard of to haze females on our campus, but fraternity hazing would literally draw crowds of people.  The same was the case for his campus.  It's disgusting.  I would be completely okay with Evie joining a sorority (if she ever chose to do so) but if we ever have a son, I would seriously discourage greek life.

On a side note, the part of the show where no one would stop for the homeless guy passed out on the street brought tears to my eyes.

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    imageleahraewku:

DH and I both watched this episode tonight.  We were both greek with completely different experiences.  I think sororities have done a MUCH better job than fraternities of eliminating instances of hazing.  It was unheard of to haze females on our campus, but fraternity hazing would literally draw crowds of people.  The same was the case for his campus.  It's disgusting.  I would be completely okay with Evie joining a sorority (if she ever chose to do so) but if we ever have a son, I would seriously discourage greek life.

On a side note, the part of the show where no one would stop for the homeless guy passed out on the street brought tears to my eyes.

It happens ALL THE TIME.  There are always homeless people slumped into doorways, and against sides of buildings in the urban areas around here and NYC.  People just step right over them.  Unless I saw someone literally fall down right in front of me... I wouldn't stop to help them.  Maybe horrible, but it is SO common.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"