High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lantus insulin anyone?

My peri wants to switch me from NPH twice a day to Lantus at bedtime.  And of course keep my meal time insulin doses.  Though he is switching me from Regular to Humalog.  Supposedly this is a last step to keep me off the pump?  Of course all I read is that it has not been studied during pregnancy and is Category C. 

So, is anyone on Lantus?  Anyone not on Lantus for a particular reason?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Lantus insulin anyone?

• Options
    That is actually the step before the pump.  I was on Lantus and Humalong with DD and was just fine.  I actually felt better when I switched and under better control :+)
  • Options
    I was on Lantus and Novolog during my pregnancy with DS1.  Before getting pregnant with DS2, I got on the pump and now only take Novolog.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been diabetic more than half of my life, and I was on lantus and novolog before I got my pump a couple years ago.  The only problem I had with lantus is that it burned a little when I injected it.  But it controlled my blood sugars pretty well.

But personally, I love my pump and especially now that I am pregnant, my skin is more sensitive and I can't imagine having to give myself so many shots a day.

• Options

I'm on a pump, but have lantus for backup/emergencies.  However, my doc said since it hadn't been studied in pregnancy, he didn't want me taking that in case of emergency.  He wrote me a Rx for NPH instead in case I need it while pregnant.  However, I think different docs will tell you different things, so ask yours what they think.

That being said, I liked Lantus while I was on it pre-pump.  However, I split my one big nightime dose into two smaller doses (one at bed, one in the morning) bc it seemed to work better that way.

Good luck!

• Options
    I believe my endo's comment about Lantus was the "the jury is still out on use during pregnancy" I take Humulin N and it works for me.  I still have a box of Lantus in my fridge!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"