Minnesota Babies

Hospital Choices

I am pregnant with my first (after over 2 years of trying)!!  I was just wondering for all the mothers out there, where did you give birth?  Which hospitals do you recommend?  My current doctor goes to Methodist, but I live really close to Fairview Southdale...  I've also heard good things about Abbott...  It's a tough decision!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Hospital Choices

• Congratulations!

Any of those would be fine choices. Abbott has Children's Hospital attached, so if your baby needs a level III NICU that would be the place to go (hopefully you won't need that, of course). The other two hospitals both have level II nurseries.

I just had LO#2 at Methodist a couple weeks ago. It was fine, nothing major went wrong, the MDs and nurses were caring and competent. My stay overall, however, was kind-of a comedy of non-medical errors (thankfully non-medical) that was probably a fluke and was not the fault of any of the medical providers. Overall it was fine, but I enjoyed my stay more when I had LO#1 at a more rural hospital.

I also spent some time at Abbott during this last pregnancy for pre-term labor. Basically the same review as I had for Methodist. It was fine, but nothing too special. When it comes time for you to decide on a hospital, the most important things are really competent providers and location for you. Any of the hospitals in the cities would be fine to deliver at. Maybe peek at their websites? Some may be more in line with the type of birth experience you are looking for.

Congrats, again! 

• Congratulations :) 

I delivered at Southdale for many reasons.First that is where my doc was, it was the closest to my house, & I was born there. Random fact I had planned on the same doctor who delivered me to deliver Mr.AARP but that didn't happen  :( but I still had a great doctor.  

• Loading the player...
  • I was on bedrest at Fairview Southdale for two weeks, then delivered my twins there too.  I went through just about all of the nursing staff, and they were all fantastic!  I don't have experience with the other two hospitals, but would definitely recommend Southdale.  Also, Southdale Pediatrics rounds at the nursery there, and they are fantastic.  I wish they were closer and more convenient for us.
    bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • it partially depends on what kind of birth you want. If you want a natural birth, methodist is probably the most supportive of that of the hospitals in your list (I also believe they have the lowest primary c/s rate of the hospitals you listed as well). 

Abbott's c/s rate is alarmingly high, even when compared to other "high risk" birth hospitals in other areas of the country.

If you've already decided you're going to want meds and all of that, and don't care about interventions, I think all three hospitals are created pretty equal.

If you want a natural, med free birth, you could also look into the new Morningstar birth center. It's located in St. Louis Park as well. I have a friend that delivered with them, but drove to their Menomenie (sp?), WI location because they weren't in MN yet...and she still raves about them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will be delivering at Southdale for the following reasons: 1. My mom works on labor and delivery at Southdale and I know the majority of the workers and nurses 2. It's the closest to my house 3. It's one of the hospitals my doctors office delivers at 4. I also used to volunteer at Southdale and I couldn't picture anywhere else 5. Their labor and delivery floors have all been newly remodeled and are gorgeous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • you HAVE to go to Abbott, it is the best hospital.  then again it was the only hospital I have ever been in.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I work at Abbott and couldn't think of having my LO anywhere else.  We do get a bad rap for c-sections.  I totally agree with that.  However, remember that we do A LOT of multiples and other high risk pregnancies that need c-sections.  So it is a little hard to just look at percentages without taking that into consideration. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"