Special Needs
Options

Thoughts and prayers for my brother and his wife

My brother and his wife found out that they are going to have a daughter with a cleft palate today at their 20 week ultrasound.  Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers - they are having a rough time. 

Our experience with Isaac was a total shock which in a weird way is a blessing  because I completely and blindly enjoyed my 1st pregnancy worry free (not my 2nd thanks to the 1st :)  - so I really feel for you sweet mothers who find out ahead of time that your child is going to have special needs. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Thoughts and prayers for my brother and his wife

• Options

My cousin had a cleft palate and a cleft lip.  He is 26 years old and has barely a scar, a great job, and a masters degree from UCLA, Berkeley.  I am a good bit older than him and the only problem he really had was feeding.  BF might not work out so easily, but he had the cleft lip too, which made it harder to get suction.  I remember him eating with a syringe, but again that was 26 years ago, so they might have improved the way they deal with it. 

Best wishes to them.  Hope it is an easy repair.  

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

I know they won't believe me but she will be a normal kid!  My oldest was born with a cleft lip/palate & besides the surgeries & some speech articulation issues - at 4 1/2 yrs old he is a typical healthy boy!

Yes the first year will be the toughest on them, but their daughter won't rememeber a thing! 

Honestly, no one even notices my son's scar (& what is the big deal if they do???).  We had minor feeding difficulties - with a cleft palate nursing is most likely not going to work, but I exclusively pumped & bottle fed (special pigeon bottles/looked normal).  Never had any problems with eating solids.

We found out at the big u/s too, & it was scary not knowing.. but I feel so blessed to have him in my life!

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"