Food Allergy
Options

Cat allergy and asthma

Hello, sorry I know this is a food allergy board, but I was hoping someone would have some information on this. DS (1 year old) just got tested and it is found that he has a mild allergy to cats. We have 2 cats that have been with us for 6 years. We believe that the only symptom DS has is a running nose, which is not constant.  We've talked to 2 allergists about the link between cat allergy and asthma, and one said that in 50% of cases, people who have cat allergies will go on to develope asthma and removing the cats will not help prevent the development of asthma; while the other advised that removing the cats will likely help reduce the chances of developing asthma.

Has anyone run into this issue before?  DH is leaning towards the "well, if removing the cats won't help prevent it, maybe we should keep the cats"; whereas I'm very torned. 

Re: Cat allergy and asthma

• Options

Rehome the cats and find a different type of pet.  You will be sad but do what is best for your kid. 

• Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    I was one of those kids. I had horrible allergies/chronic sinus infections. We had a sweet, beautiful Persian cat that the dr told us to re-home. We got rid of the cat, and I still had allergies. :-(
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I usually lurk on this board, but wanted to speak up. I'm was actually mildly allergic to cats as a kid and my parents decided to keep them. I don't have asthma. This is before hepa filters and robot vacuums existed. I ended up being fine. Loved cats as a kid growing up and still do. My fear is that my LO will be allergic (that's why I've been lurking). In general the allergies never bothered me that much, but I know my parents worked hard to keep the house clean, cats groomed etc. 
  • Options
    imageSallyJean95:

Rehome the cats and find a different type of pet.  You will be sad but do what is best for your kid. 

This for sure. Also as a kid I had cat allergies, granted mine were extreme, however. My parents kept the house not just clean but sterile, and I still ended up with asthma. Honestly I can't imagine risking my child's health to keep a couple of pets. Especially with having asthma myself. 

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"