TTC after 35
Options

Clomid question from a newbie

What are the most common side effects?  I had a dr's visit last week and she is considering putting me on Clomid in September if my cycles don't start to behave and my ovulation doesn't become regular. 

However, one of my friends told me that it can increase my risk of retinal detachment.  I have previously been told by my optometrist that my eyes have a tendency for detachment.  I have an eye appt on Friday to ask him more about that. 

What else should I watch out for?  Is there an alternative to Clomid?  Thanks so much!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Clomid question from a newbie

• Options

Hi, welcome! Smile

I have never heard of the retinal detachment with Clomid.  Did you mention this to your OB/RE? I would assume (if he knows about your medical history in regards tothat) if is this was a side effect and the side effect chances were greater than the benefit then he would not prescribe it.

When I was on it I had hot flashes and night sweats.  Take it at night as it will lesson those side effects.

There is also a pill called Femara which is taken like Clomid and the side effects are almost non-existent (they were for me).  However, it is a breast cancer pill so many OB's/RE won't use it.

Good luck!

• Options
    image*Chicken*:

Hi, welcome! Smile

I have never heard of the retinal detachment with Clomid.  Did you mention this to your OB/RE? 

When I was on it I had hot flashes and night sweats.  Take it at night as it will lesson those side effects.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome!   Ditto everything underlined above.  Although, I can say I only had night sweats one time...and I recommend taking it at night too!

GL!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never had side effects when I took clomid, but I also took it at night so if I did experience something it was most likely when I was asleep as I didn't notice anything during the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    I've never heard of it causing retinal detachment.  I experienced some moderate headaches, but I started taking it before bed, so that wasn't an issue anymore.    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"