Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

How often do you give Tylenol/Ibuprofen for teething pain?

DS is getting his third tooth in 2 weeks.  The first one just popped up 2 weeks ago, and it's been non stop ever since.  His top left one is coming in right now.  Last night he woke up at 12:30 and 4:30 screaming in pain, so we gave him Tylenol.  He's done this many nights since the teeth started coming in.  He has been STTN for awhile now, so I feel like the wake up and scream has to be attributed to the teething.  If he does this, we've been giving Tylenol or Ibuprofen, but only at night, and only one dose in a 24hr time period.  He doesn't seem to be nearly as bothered during the day - Hylands seem to do the trick.  He's gotten maybe 5 or 6 doses in a 15 day time span.  Does that seem like too much?  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How often do you give Tylenol/Ibuprofen for teething pain?

• Options

Tylenol doesnt really help S- the Motrin seems to do the trick and it has both pain relief and anti-imflamatory.  It does make her sleep well which I think means it is pretty strong.  Because of that I dont like to give it often.  We do a 3/4 dose (she is heavy so I average the age and weight dose) in the middle of the night when she wakes up screaming.

We dont like meds either but our Dr let us know that during teething it is OK on a semi-regular basis to use.   If you are worried maybe use a slightly smaller dose.

• Options

I'm going to preface this with I'm not a Dr. Sears worshiper, but I had almost the same question and I found this answer on his website.  It says it is safe to use up to ten days in a row.

DS is the same way, fine during the day, but in teething heIl at night.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We use both... typically we use tylenol during the day and motrin at night because it lasts longer. Sooo I would estimate 3 doses of tylenol per day, then 1 dose of motrin at night. I discussed this with pedi yesterday and he didn't happen to mention anything about only using it for 10 days or anything.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Lynn07Lynn07 member
    Thanks for the input, ladies.  It always helps to hear what other people do!
  • Options
    aciaacia member

Lately I feel like I give it to her way too much!

She just had her first ear infection, followed by cutting her first tooth. So I've been giving her Tylenol or Motrin every night for about 2 weeks. I hate it, but I hate the idea of her being in pain even more.

• Options

As long as I am following the dosage instructions, I don't really pay attention to how many times per day (without going over the limit of course), or how many days in a row.  Sometimes it's 2-3 times a day, sometimes just once, every day for a week or two... and sometimes she goes a while without any at all.

Kristy

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"