Stay at Home Moms
Options

Getting out vs. staying at home

A post below made me feel like an alien - I am fine feeling like an alien, just wondering if there are any others out there?

This morning (wednesday) DD and I went to the craft store (for me), pet store (for her) and grocery store (for us all, I suppose - she enjoys the grocery store).  

The previous time DD got in the car and went somewhere was.......... Sunday - family lunch at a neighborhood restaurant.  

And the time before that was last Wednesday - swimming at my mom's house.   So with in a week, DD left the house (besides going in the yard and walking around the neighborhood) 3 times.  

Clearly I am a homebody.  Anyone else? Is this completely crazy to everyone?  DD is easy.  We enjoy outings.  But we also find plenty to do here.  After reading a lot of replies about everyone heading out daily, I realized that we are in the minority.  Anyone else's DC spend the vast majority of their time at home/outside in the neighborhood, but outing-less for the most part?  

Re: Getting out vs. staying at home

• Options

I just love your posts, you really get us all thinking and talking!  ;)

I have found that for me, it really depended on Emily's age: the more active and "busy" she was, (15-18months) the more it drove me insane to be home as she was only occupied for 2-3 minutes at a time and was like a rubber ball, bouncing off the walls, getting into things she shouldn't be.  

At nearly 4-years old, we only leave home every day because she has Preschool.  We are both happy to play (together and her alone!) inside and out and just let the day go by here at home.  

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    imageTobeMrs.Shavers:

HA.  Thanks.  It is really just my obsessive, gerbil wheel thoughts that I freely post too late at night.  

Your 15-18 month description cracks me up.  

Oh preschool, do you ever wonder how you got there? I can't believe DD is going to be 2 soon.  It is crazy to think that preschool is just around the corner! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I have a hard time keeping up with the house stuff, cooking, and school work. Time I spend out running around makes me end up even more behind on those things - I can't throw in a load of clothes if I'm gone all day. We do get out of the house in some way every day, but often it's just to the grocery store, or the park to swing, or the backyard to play in her pool. I don't have playgroups or story times or anything like that.

This week we've been home a lot because it's a hot mo-fo out, I'm kinda broke, and also had a lot of studying to do. We ran some errands today, went to the park yesterday, and visited a friend w/ a 2 yr old and new baby on Monday.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagesusanmosley:
    imageTobeMrs.Shavers:

HA.  Thanks.  It is really just my obsessive, gerbil wheel thoughts that I freely post too late at night.  

Oh preschool, do you ever wonder how you got there? I can't believe DD is going to be 2 soon.  It is crazy to think that preschool is just around the corner! 

Seriously, I cannot believe she's almost 4.  Everyone told me time would fly by... they weren't lying!  Especially years 2 and 3, I can hardly remember them!  

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    imagejenifairies:

Well, I have a hard time keeping up with the house stuff, cooking, and school work. Time I spend out running around makes me end up even more behind on those things - I can't throw in a load of clothes if I'm gone all day. We do get out of the house in some way every day, but often it's just to the grocery store, or the park to swing, or the backyard to play in her pool. I don't have playgroups or story times or anything like that.

This week we've been home a lot because it's a hot mo-fo out, I'm kinda broke, and also had a lot of studying to do. We ran some errands today, went to the park yesterday, and visited a friend w/ a 2 yr old and new baby on Monday.

Hey lady.  Can you come to Dallas and hang out with us?  Wait, well not if your DD is planning on smearing poop - she needs to agree to keep that in check.  But otherwise, we can't be more than a few hours away - let's meet at the red river or something.  HA!  What part of that crazy state are you in?   

• Options
    imageTobeMrs.Shavers:
    imagesusanmosley:
    imageTobeMrs.Shavers:

Seriously, I cannot believe she's almost 4.  Everyone told me time would fly by... they weren't lying!  Especially years 2 and 3, I can hardly remember them!  

Maybe that means it is time to have another.  I kid.  ;) 

• Options

We are probably in the minority also.  We do leave the house almost everyday, but it is not to go do 10 different activities for our son.  Usually its running errands, going to play group (once every week or so), or walking to the park/playground across the street.  I enjoy outings also, but I don't think I work as hard as some moms to ensure my child gets to kid-speciific activities, know what I mean?  I just figure that between playing at home and the kid activities that we do do, he gets enough play and social interaction.  Add on the errands and things I need to do, and its plenty in my opinion.  Frankly the idea of doing multiple playgroups, classes, and social activities specifically for him every week sounds nuts to me and chaotic and like too much.  When he is older, and in preschool or has the ability to make friends a little better it will be different, no doubt.

Don't feel alone - no its not completely crazy.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son's in the 18 month stage where he really only focuses on some things for a matter of minutes...that is why we try to get out a lot.  I've been trying to spend more time at home, especially since a lot of days it is just TOO hot.  We go to the park a lot, the pool, and a playgroup or two a week
    Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • Options
    We usually get out once a day.  Usually it's a trip to the groccery store, Target, a playdate, or a visit to relatives.  DS is usually telling me "Let's go!" if we don't have anything going on.  It's just his personality.  Not sure how it's going to work with a new baby around.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are out all the time, but it is a combo of my personality and DS's personality. I am a very social person, so I really like being out with my friends during the day (I have met some of my best friends post DS through classes for him, MOMS Club, etc. There is a group of about 6 of us that all have kids the same age - the kids are all really good friends and the moms are all very close), so we just plan something every day. DS just is VERY active - he loves being at the playground, riding his bike, what have you. In the winter when we can't go to the park he needs classes like My Gym, music,going to the Children's Museum etc. to not get major cabin fever.  Also, being on the Board of my MOMS Club just automatically means a lot of activities.

However, lately DS is going through a phase of wating to be home, so we are trying to stay home at least one morning/day a week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Believe it or not- with my personality- i am more than content to be at home- for a couple of reasons-

1. I absolutely ABHORE driving- for a lot of personal reasons. 

2. I have no desire to be at Target/Walmart every day or running constant errands- i am a minimalist to say the least- i am the kind of person who can walk into those stores and only spend 15-20 ($ and/or minutes) and get out.

3. If i am about trollaping God's green earth- i am usually getting very behind on things i NEED to do during the week (work, school, house stuff) and then I have to do that stuff on the weekends during family time.

4. I have ALWAYS utilized online shopping more than the average joe.

I would say we usually go 'out' (and about) at least 2x a week (not including weekends) ~ once is usually a bigger trip to the city/museum/zoo/ etc and then a smaller gig: petstore, bookstore, etc. Gisele is more than content to play at her friends' house/them over our house and go to the local playground/take walks etc.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We go out nearly every day.  This week is a good example

M-spent morning at home, went out around lunch to get trucks for the sandbox that Sam had been asking for forever.

T-playgroup at a community center open gym and lunch out.  We've been with this group since Sam was a newborn, practically.  I'm very good friends with the moms at this point (small group of 8 kids, spun off from a meetup group)

W-zoo

Today-playgroup is meeting at a free kids show put on by the city.  We'll have lunch together too.

Tomorrow-Follow up appointment for a developmental study we're participating in at UMD, which is about 30 minutes from home. 

We usually go out in the mornings and come home in the early afternoon, what used to be known as nap time (Gosh, I miss nap time).  Cleaning and so forth happens in the afternoons and early evenings.  Most afternoons and evenings are spent at home, in the sandbox, sprinkler, or tot lot.  We're out of the house most weekend mornings too, with my husband, to the zoo or a museum or aquarium, something like that.

Sam had preschool 3 mornings a week this year, and next it is 5 mornings.  Have to pack in the fun optional outings while we can!

• Options
    We live in a very small town, and there isn't a whole lot to do here.  One playground, one indoor play place, no mall, no playgroups that I've found... so we are quickly becoming mildly agoraphobic.  There are days we don't leave the house, at all.  And I'm okay with that.  Like PPs have said, if I'm out all day I feel behind at home.  Plus, if I go to the "big city" to do fun things, I know DF feels left out (understandably.)
  • Options

While I prefer to stay home, we do go out rather frequently.  At one point I tried to be home 2-3 days and go 2-3 days.  I am not gone all day as DS takes an afternoon nap.  We meet people for playdates and outings, go to the library, go to MOPS/Bible study (if going on), and run errands. 

For instance this week:

Monday - Pool playdate - gone from 10-1
    Tuesday - Movie with friends - gone from 9-12:30, Chick-fil-A for lunch
    Wednesday - Library in the afternoon, Grocery store at night with DH
    Thursday - Park playdate - gone from 10-2
    Friday - Pool playdate - gone from 11-3

I don't usually go that much, but I got 4 different playdate invites from 3 different people and since it is summer and I am pregnant and trying to take DS to do more stuff in case I can't in the months to come, we did them.

When the twins come in the Fall, we are going to be staying home a lot more.  I will probably start running errands alone or with DH's help (even though he is already going to the grocery store with me since I can't carry stuff).  I won't have as many playdates since I will have two babies to nurse, have on a sleep schedule, etc.  My plan is to stay home for 4 days a week and stick to our schedule, school DS, get stuff done around the house, and spend time with the kids.  I will try to plan an outing one day a week (potentially more as we get more comfortable). 

• Options
    imagesusanmosley:
    imagejenifairies:

Hey lady.  Can you come to Dallas and hang out with us?  Wait, well not if your DD is planning on smearing poop - she needs to agree to keep that in check.  But otherwise, we can't be more than a few hours away - let's meet at the red river or something.  HA!  What part of that crazy state are you in?   

Oklahoma City. She's only done that poop thing a couple times. lol It would probably be safe.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Total homebody here.  While I go stir crazy in the winter, during this time of year there is so much to do around our house (fun or work) that sometimes I feel that leaving the house is a real pita.  Most of the time I run errands when DD#1 is home so she can watch the little ones.  Otherwise I "save" outtings for get-togethers with friends/family.  The kids have yet to tell me they're bored so being homebodies seems to work for us:)
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ash2ash2 member
    I get out everyday. I can't stand sitting around at home and DD is 18 months and a big challenge. She is into everything and always fussing and crying about something, so its easier for me to get out of the house and deal with her vs. trying to maintain my sanity at home. Luckily, DS is a very laid back baby and just goes with the flow. We are either running errands, going for walks, going to the park, rollie pollies (kind of like gymboree) or a playdate.
  • Options

It's torture for me to stay home with all 3 kids. They are on top of each other, someone's always cranky, yelling and screaming and fighting over toys, etc.

They are much BETTER when we are out and about, so I RARELY stay home. At least in the mornings. We are home every afternoon because L needs his nap.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

We used to leave the house everyday- at least for a couple hours at the gym, but since DS was sick, we went on vacation, my tendinitis has flared up, among other things, I just can't get back into going to the gym all the time even though I know DS loves playing with the other kids!  We swim every Monday and eat lunch out with the grandparents, Tuesdays we run errands as a family because DH has the day off, Wednesdays we have my niece here so we stay at the house, Thursdays DS and I enjoy a lazy day at home and maybe a trip to the grocery store and to softball for DH, Fridays we usually end up eating out with either set of grandparents (or both!) when DH gets home from work.  Weekends are usually busy with errands, adventures and our sports activities- soccer and hockey. 

• Options

With just my girls we don't go out everyday, meaning drive away from the house. As long as the weather is permitting we do go outside for fresh air and running around time for them in our yard. We will walk around out neighborhood or sometimes they like a ride in the wagon. We also have a playground in our development so somedays I take them their to change things up.

Now beginning next week again (I have had the past week off) I will be watching my BFF's girls, 3yo and 5yo. I do try to make some kind of an outing everyday for the 5 of us because these girls are quite loud and after a few hours in the morning, I have to get them outside. I find if I take them all in the car to a local park/playground/splash park, it makes the day go by faster. Because we get in the car and drive to the park (which usually takes at least 20-30 min. Play at the park for about 45 min to an hour depending on everyones mood and if we have any potty training accidents. Then we load back up in the car and drive home. By the time we get home, they all sit down to color a little bit while I make lunch. We eat lunch and watch Yo Gabba Gabba then it is nap time for my twins and the 3yo lays down for nap as well. The 5 yo will then work on activity books like math and letters until their Dad gets them at like 3:30.

So again when it is my girls I don't go out so much other than my own back yard. When I have all 4 girls, I have to get away to make the day go by faster. My girls are content to stay close to home and I love it because I don't have to spend so much on gas for the car each month.

• Options
    Between having a dog and a very active 2.5 year old who really likes to run...I mean really run fast and far, we need to get out every single day. That and I work out at the gym often so that is an automatic 3-4 days/ week activity in itself. It doesn't always mean planned trips or activities, just sometimes a walk to the park or just plain walk around the college campus that is close to our home. We actually leave the house often twice a day even if it's just for 30-40 mins but longer if we need to actually get errands done. I wish we spent more time with other moms and kids but I'm still making at home friends right now in a newer city. Now that it's summer we are spending a bit more time in our backyard but there's just not enough room for DS to run around. I swear it seems unusual how much he can walk/run at his age. I'm going to guess that on a typical walk he gets in at least a half to a full mile in of walking. That seems like a lot to me but he needs and wants it so I oblige. 
  • Options

I've taken DD out, at least for a walk, pretty much every day since she was 1 week old.  The only exceptions being major snowstorms or 95-plus degree days.

I need it more than her.  She's fairly content to read or play with her toys.  But I like the rhythm of going out in the mornings, coming home for lunch, nap, play, then hand her over to DH.  I'm a real creature of habit that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"