Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Food reaction or something else?

I feel pretty stupid about this but gave my 6 1/2 month old applesauce on Monday for the first time and he really liked it. I gave it again yesterday along with a small amount of turkey (not lunch meat). He also liked that and I gave it to him again today. I washed his face pretty well but he was not having it. We also went to a playdate this morning and he was on the carpet a little bit.

About 3 hours after today's meal, his face looked red and had some small bumps on the cheeks and forehead. I washed and lotioned his face and it looks better already but still has tiny bumps. I'm wondering if this could be a food reaction, reaction to the other person's carpet (they have cats but so do we) or just normal since he has very fair skin.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? I will hold off on giving meats again for another 6 weeks or so but was thinking I would probably give the applesauce again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Food reaction or something else?

• Options

It's unlikely that it's the turkey (but not impossible).  Turkey is one of the least allergenic meats out there.  If it was beef, that would be a different story.  The applesauce is a possibility, even though it was not the first day.  Some reactions can be quite delayed, which is why they suggest spacing new foods at least 3 days (our pedi says 5 days).  

Personally, I would think it's the other person's carpet and try the foods again.  However, I would probably space them so you can better determine which is bothering LO, if he breaks out again.  

Also, it's not too early to give meats.  There's no real medical reason to wait on meats, so you don't need to put them off another 6 weeks. 

• Options
    Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to space the foods more going forward. I had done some reading and the only reason I gave turkey was because I understood it to be low allergen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"