South Florida Babies
Options

help me with a menu?

Sarah's baptism is in 2 weeks and I need to figure out what to serve.  We're on a tight budget right now, so it has to be simple.  The baptism is at 10 am, so that means everyone will be at my parent's house by 11. 

Should I do brunch-type stuff? (fruit salad, croissants, those ready-made tortillas from publix, croquettas, etc...) Or just Cuban finger foods and maybe a pasta salad?  

How many types of food should I have? (like, a plate of sandwiches, a fruit salad, a pasta salad, etc...)

Can i get away with just serving lemonade and water? Do I have to include soda?

Re: help me with a menu?

• Options
    These are the same issues I'm having with the baby shower.  I'm helping my mom out with the costs and suggested a brunch menu.  I'm considering getting most of the items at Costco, such as the muffins, croissants, fruits, cheeses, cold cuts, etc.  They also have large trays of party food, but I have to visit the actual store to see what they have.  In addition to that, I know Sergio's does some catering.  So, I was thinking of getting cafe con leche and some Cuban finger foods from them since there's one close to my house.  In addition to all that, I was thinking of making a "signature" drink for the party, like white sangria or mimosas, and offering that with water.  My mom mentioned soda, but I'm not a soda drinker so I had completely overlooked that.  I like the idea of lemonade instead.  
  • Options

quiche is super easy to make and it's pretty inexpensive ingredients.  You can make one or two the night before then warm them up the day of, I cna give you the recipe if you want.  Caesar salad, fruit salad, muffins, croissants, a couple cuban pastries - croquettas, bocaditos, etc and a cake and you're good to go!!

Yes, I think you should have soda also.  

image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, I think the easiest (and economical) thing in the world are pasta trays!  I know Big Cheese can do them, but I"m sure you can find a local italian shop near by that offers them even cheaper.  Depending on number of people, get a tray of baked ziti, another of salad, and they can provide rolls.  I think lemonade and water is fine... maybe someone can provide a light sangria, otherwise not necessary.

And if the Cuban pastries are a must, they can serve as appetizers.

GL!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think you have a few good options. Cuban food is cheap. You can go to any Cuban cafeteria and get a tray of congri, lechon, maduros, etc. for around $5-7pp. You can also do brunch style like you suggested and get little sandwiches from Publix, quiches like Leanna mentioned, and a fruit salad with yogurt, maybe cookies or crackers and cheese.

Italian catering will probably be the most expensive option of the three, but you can always MAKE Italian food for super cheap! I don't know any meal that is cheaper. I would go to Coscto, get a giant package of ground sirloin, a big vat of ricotta, frozen garlic rolls, shell pasta and ziti - and make a meat baked ziti and stuffed shells and bake the rolls, prepare a salad and call it a day. I know it's easier said than done with two babies, but if you enlist help it's doable :)

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh and... yes, I think you should have soda :)

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

thanks!!

i'm avoiding the whole pasta thing because it's like 150 degrees out and we'll be sitting mainly outside or standing around inside.  I want something light and easy to eat!

• Options
    imagebritishbride05:

thanks!!

i'm avoiding the whole pasta thing because it's like 150 degrees out and we'll be sitting mainly outside or standing around inside.  I want something light and easy to eat!

Yup. Good thinking :)

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"