Single Parents
Options

Update and Question Re Health Insurance

It's been a little over a week since I kicked DB out.  He was supposed to stay until the end of this month, but he was such a jerk that I couldn't deal with him anymore.  Despite the fact that he finally left (after I had to threaten to call the police in order to get him to do so) he still wanted to give couples counseling another shot so we went again last night.  It was a total disaster!  We are completely done. 

Ex DB state on our way home (he drove and dropped me off at home afterwards) that he has no intention of helping me buy anything to prepare for our baby's arrival (I'm due October 24th).  He is also refusing to cooperate and put our daughter on his health insurance once she is born.  In Illinois, it's state law that the father provide health insurance as well as pay child support.  Now, I know the state will order him to do it, but I don't know how long that will take and what to do about DD's healthcare in the mean time.  Any ideas?  Has anyone dealt with something similar to this?  I think I'm going to call the child support agency when I'm a little closer to my due date and see what they recommend.

I'm so not looking forward to the battles with him over health insurance and child support because I know it's going to be an all-out fight.  He made some comment last night and asked, "You're going to take me for all I'm worth, aren't you?"  You better believe I am DB!!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update and Question Re Health Insurance

• Options

I would definitely call the DCSS they are really helpful (at least in my area).  Health insurance is definitely a part of this.  The parents are supposed to be paying for it 50/50.  DS is on Healthy Families but if he weren't and I had to pay out of pocket XH would owe for half (not that he would pay it but that's another story).

As far as your timeline for getting CS, I am not sure.  I tend to think they are slow, I think some of the other ladies can attest to this.  Here is what they told me about non-payment.  They have to be more than thirty days late before anything will be done.  Then they will revoke their license, and tap into bank accounts.  If they are more than 90 days late they can be held in contempt of court for violation of a CO.  You will want to make sure you get everything in place so there is an order for you to get a certain amount.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It is time to talk to a family law lawyer.

In some states, if you are married, the father is automatically assumed to be the father of any child born during the time you are married.  If that is the case, you can just contact his health insurance provider and add the child at the time of the birth. 

If you are not married, you need to talk to a lawyer to figure out what steps must be taken to have the baby covered immediately after birth.  There may be things you can file in advance.  You may be nervous about paying a lawyer, but in the long run, having one will save you money.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Luckily, I'm a paralegal and I work at a law firm.  I also have several friends who are attorneys and do family law.  I try to take care of a lot of things on my own, but when in need there are a lot of people willing to lend a hand and give advice for free Smile 

I just wasn't sure if there was anyone on this board that had experience with the health insurance.  I do have my own insurance and can easily add DD, I'm just not sure if the state would then make DB pay for it if I did that.  I'll have to contact the child support office.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageturtle1120:

Luckily, I'm a paralegal and I work at a law firm.  I also have several friends who are attorneys and do family law.  I try to take care of a lot of things on my own, but when in need there are a lot of people willing to lend a hand and give advice for free Smile 

I just wasn't sure if there was anyone on this board that had experience with the health insurance.  I do have my own insurance and can easily add DD, I'm just not sure if the state would then make DB pay for it if I did that.  I'll have to contact the child support office.

if I were to add ds to my work insurance I would have to have a modification done on our CS order and the support order would be lowered but then there would be a medical support portion of the CS order...imo for me anyways, it would take too much time to do that, and the order would be about the same amount anyways so I'm not asking for a modification. i'll just pay the insurance prems with what CS i get now... if ds were to be eligible for MA though, DB would have that premium to pay on top of the original CS ordered amount (DB doesn't have a medical support obligation for anything except county assisted insurance because neither of our insurances, at the time of the CS court hearing, was cost effective)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"