Adoption
Options

Just sharing...

I recently had a conversation with a family member about adoption that led to the question of whether or not we had a race preference. We do not, we just want to be parents. I was sent these links and thought I would share, just for conversation sake, not for any other reason (please do not take offense Embarrassed)

https://www.theroot.com/views/haiti-s-orphans-and-transracial-adoption-dilemma

This one is not regarding adoption but addresses some issues that were in the back of my mind.

https://www.theroot.com/views/lessons-learned-being-white-man-raising-black-son?GT1=38002

Re: Just sharing...

• Options

I know this can be a Hot Topic and I thank you for sharing.  DH and I are also open to any child of any race, nationality etc. and I just want to preface this by saying I definitely believe that everyone has their own choices and I would never judge someone for not wanting to adopt a child from a race different than their own. 

That being said, I have a hard time with it.  Knowing that there are so many children out there who need loving homes and for them not to be picked on the basis of their skin color is hard for me.  I think we have spoke a little bit about it on the boards before since I have been around and I know people tend to get heated one way or another.  I agree that if you don't expose the child to not only your cultural traditions but traditions of any other culture(whether you or your child is African-American, white, Native American, Hispanic etc) shouldn't matter IMO.  We should all be teaching our children about the world as a whole, not just in our own neighborhoods or states.  The earth has so many different types of people and different ways to do things.  This again IMO, is a HUGE reason why we have so much racism, bigotry and stereotypes in our communities. 

I'll step off my soap box now :-)  Thanks for posting it

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagegstf344:

I know this can be a Hot Topic and I thank you for sharing......Knowing that there are so many children out there who need loving homes and for them not to be picked on the basis of their skin color is hard for me. 

I know and my intention (thank you for understanding!) was not at all to offend anyone or start anything. I just was wondering if anyone out there was feeling what we (DH and I) were. Which you summed up when you said "Knowing that there are so many children out there who need loving homes and for them not to be picked on the basis of their skin color is hard for me".

Thanks for adding your opinion!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"