Potty Training

Breaking habits from early PT?

I have 26 month old son I'm trying to PT in two households. His dad is convinced he's ready for potty training, so we've "started down that road". He is aware of the bathroom and where to go. He will go #1 and #2 on the big potty periodically if we put him up there. Here's the issue: He has been removing his diaper at my house in the mornings and after naps. I woke up Sunday to #2 smeared all over my carpet and walls after him being up briefly. I need some advice on on how to break this before my carpets are ruined!

I think there are some factors in there contributing to this. My theory: 1. He isn't quite ready because he doesn't tell me he has to go yet. 2. His dad has told me he often goes naked at his house so he will go on potty and not have an accident. 3. They have introduced Pullups. I believe this encourages him to remove his diaper with me. He also doesn't like being "wet" or "dirty" and that's why he's also taking it off. He's just not putting two and two together to do it in potty and tell me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Breaking habits from early PT?

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I don't think kids have to verbally tell you they have to go potty to be ready.  Some kids aren't talkings, some can't talk but they can still learn the potty.  The way I see it, your son IS telling you he has to go- he's taking off his diaper, he knows he doesn't like to be dirty.  If it was me, I'd start training him.  If you don't want to use pullups then don't (we didn't, I don't see the point of them), buy underwear and if your scared of the mess buy a diaper cover.  When he does remove his diaper and smear the mess, make HIM clean it up.  He can't play until he cleans it up.  Once he knows there are consequences he'll stop.  Have him clean up the poop and put it in the potty- where it belongs.  And I think going naked is a great way for him to figure it out.  For us, it was all or nothing- no more diapers, we went straight to underwear and he did it pretty fast.  Your DS will figure it out too.  Best of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"