Military Families
Options

Tricare info, please!

My boyfriend and I are expecting a child in February. I called Tricare and they said we have to get married in order for the child or myself to have insurance. 

Can someone review the guidelines for me?  There is no way to be put on his insurance as his girlfriend, correct? And the baby would need a paternity test after birth if we remain unmarried, correct?

Thank you!! 

Re: Tricare info, please!

• Options
    I'm not a TRICARE genius, but that sounds about right. The military seems to only recognize you if you are legally married. Good luck!
  • Options
    The child should be covered after the birth, your boyfriend would have to add him/her to Tricare as soon as they are born. He will need to bring the birth certificate (with his name on it) as well as a notorized letter from you stating that he is the father and will be providing support for the child. You will not be eligible for Tricare unless you get married, so the prenatal care will not be covered by Tricare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much! That's what I thought and tried to tell him but of course in his eyes what do I know, since I'm not in the military! I guess it'll be different coming from his ssgt! 
  • Options
    You might want to consider taking your BF's last name out of your bio. Lots of crazies out there.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options

Me and my marine were in a similar situation to yours. We were engaged when we found out that I was pregnant. If we did not get married I would not have been covered at all seeing that I don't exist to the military unless I was is wife. This is the same for you. Then your child would need a paternity test. Once the results come back that he is in fact the father he takes the birth certificate and paternity results and can sign the baby up for tricare. I would recommend if you aren't getting married to also apply for medicaid for you and the baby. The hospital bills wont be covered for the baby until after tricare goes through which could take some time. But with medicaid you can be covered as well as the baby.

Even though all of that seems crazy and overwhelming take a deep breath. It'll be okay. I definitely don't want to come across as saying you should get married if you guys aren't ready for that. No matter what though it will be okay. Its just taking time to figure it all out. 

• Options
    jfrangio, thanks so much! I'll look into that right now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"