Preemies
Options

NICU stress + postpartum hair loss

Hi everyone,

I don't post much, but wanted to know if I'm alone in this situation.  I had my daughter at 31 weeks (she had a birth defect also) and she was in the NICU for 3 months.  We were able to bring her home 2 months ago and are so blessed to have her in our lives....

Since our daughter was 3 months old, I experienced increased shedding of hair, but over the past 1.5 months, the shedding is now clumping as well as shedding and my hair went from thick and curly to terribly thin and receding at my temples.  Is anyone else experiencing this as bad as I am?  I'm taking a wild guess that this is a mixture of postpartum hair loss and stress.  How long does this usually last?

Re: NICU stress + postpartum hair loss

• Options
    My postpartum hair loss was pretty bad too... gosh I think it lasted til they were at least 8 months old.  It really seemed forever.

• Options

imagemeldoo2002:
    My postpartum hair loss was pretty bad too... gosh I think it lasted til they were at least 8 months old.  It really seemed forever.

This.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My PP hair loss recently started and its bad. There is hair everywhere.  I had no idea this happened until I got my hair highlighted after the babies were born and my hair dresser told me to be prepared.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pp hair loss clogged the vaccum like 6 times.  Its finally back to normal.  I kept my hair in a ponytail until a month ago because I would have to vaccum daily finding clumps of hair on the floors. 
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ditto what the other ladies have said. PP hair loss, as alarming as it seems, is actually very normal. Almost all moms go through it, so it isn't necessarily related to the stress of your NICU experience.

They say that your hair eventually returns to normal, but I know my hair never returned to the same thickness after I had my first son. Although I hear that as you move into your late 20s and early 30s, it thins anyway, regardless if you have a child or not.

Hawaii
  • Options
    I experienced what felt like massive hair loss postpartum. Although I'm glad to say that it has all grown back :). Don't worry so will yours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My 32 weeker is now 3.5!
  • Options
    DD will be 2 in less than a month and my hair is still growing back.  She was probably 6 months old when I really started to lose my hair.  It wasn't clumping but was rapidly falling out everywhere.  I swear I was receding like an old man's hairline would.  Even my hair dresser commented on how thin my hair was getting.  I had very, very thick hair.  But in time, it stopped falling out and then started to grow back again.  The tiny hair shoot growing back and sticking out all over the place aren't much fun, but at least you know it's growing back.  My hair is almost back to normal now, but it took awhile.  Yours will grow back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"