Hawaii Babies

Removing the swaddle...

At what point did you stop swaddling your LO? How smooth was the transition?

We recently went a few nights without one. Adrian woke up incessantly and flipped his body all over the place, even running in circles around his crib.

Tonight, we're going back to the swaddle. Guess he's not ready to be without it yet. Maybe we'll try again next week. Any tips?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Removing the swaddle...

• we waited until she was able to roll from back to belly and at that point we had no choice but to unswaddle her. surprisingly, she did well w/o it.

if you want to wean your LO off the swaddle i'd recommend just leaving one arm out at first...then both arms...and then you can try removing it completely. alternatively, you can try naps w/o the swaddle so that the constant waking doesn't bother you as much :) or you can do a combo and start to wean w/one arm out just during naps.

i think it's pretty common for babies to need the swaddle until they are at least 3-5 months old and i have seen some moms let the baby decide and didn't remove it until much later (7-9 months).

• For safety, I believe you're supposed to stop swaddling once they can roll over. We stopped the day after she rolled - cold turkey - and switched to sleep sacks. We had about 2-3 rough nights, then she was fine. You can also do it gradually like Jaime says. HTH!
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"