Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone cut their DS's hair?

How do you do it--scissors or a buzzer thingy?  Any tips?

Re: Anyone cut their DS's hair?

• Options

I have many, many times.  I use scissors because he tries to look at the scissors everytime I snip- I can't imagine him sitting still for a SECOND if I used the razor.

My tip is to get the hair very slightly wet but not too wet or else it clumps.  I like to have him sit in the bumbo chair on the counter and I get a bunch of his favorite toys or give him things he's not usually allowed to play with so that he focuses on his toy instead of what I'm doing.

If I do say so, the haircuts I give turn out really well but I have been known to do them over 2 days before -- a little snipping here, a little snipping there-- because sometimes he's just not in the mood for a haircut!

Good luck!

ETA: I use baby fingernail scissors to cut.

Baby #3 on the way!
  • Options
    I use the baby (non-pointy) scissors. I usually have DH hold him still(ish) or put him in the highchair.  I've had to do this multiple times.  I'm going to break down and take him to the woman who does my hair soon though as it's out of control (she did my hair as a little kid too and is dying to get her hands on G).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we use clippers on a 4 setting.  This way we don't have to worry about one area looking different.  He does cry but I hold him while DH cuts his hair.  He hates getting it cut at the salon anyway and it's $22. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We use clippers, on 8 on top and 6 on the sides and bottom.  
  • Options
    DH uses clippers. He has done his own hair for a long time. DS's hair is a littler shorter than I would like it to be, but it's practical!
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pam1005pam1005 member
    We use the clippers on dry hair.  My DH does his cuts his own hair, so he does DS's.  We put it on whatever setting makes it 3/4 inches.  I usually have to hold DS's head, but I would not trust anyone with scissors around him for the he won't even sit still to eat.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We use clippers.  I use the 1" guard for the sides and try to leave the top a little longer and just blend.  I do it while DS sits on DH's lap (or DH and I swap).  We have to move FAST to avoid a meltdown!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    *Bre**Bre* member

I do it all with the clippers and trim the bangs with scissors. I've done the scissors alone as well. I set him in the sink in his diaper and let him play with the stuff on the counter and he can look at the "baby" in the mirror. If i need him to hold still I say "OOOOOH LOOK AT THE BABY IN THE MIRROR" and he looks and holds still.He likes the buzzer of the razor now, he was scared the first time, but I just showed it to him and he became ok with it. 

I do 3/8" on the sides and 7/8" on top or something to that effect and then blend with scissors or the 5/8". It comes out nicely and with the clippers you can fudge a bit and dont' have to worry about straight lines. Usually in the summer his hair is quite short, but I let it grow out in the winter and do it with clippers on the sides and scissors on the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"