Breastfeeding
Options

RP: Those who introduced formula to a baby that was EBF

As of right now, I EBF.  I will return to work in the beginning of July.  I've been pumping and get a pretty good amount when I do, but haven't been able to stock much up.  I am a nurse on a busy hospital floor, and I know when I get back to work, if I'm able to pump once a shift, I'll be lucky.  Knowing that, I'm sure my supply will start to go down a bit, and I anticipate that I am going to need to supplement with formula for DS at some times.  I want to continue to BF as well, but just don't think I'll be making/storing enough.

My questions are, if you introduced formula to an exclusively breastfed baby, how did you do it?  How did you choose which formula to use?  DS tends to be gassy and I don't want to wreak havoc on what already seems to be a sensitive digestive system.  Should I introduce a small amount of formula now to kind of work his system up to it?

ETA:  I should add that I'm not concerned about the bottle factor as DS has been getting one of pumped milk occasionally from DH. 

Re: RP: Those who introduced formula to a baby that was EBF

• Options
    Novem06Novem06 member
    We use Similac Advance Early Shield.  It was the same type he had when syringe fed in the hospital and at home when I was having latch issues.  I started giving him about 2 oz a day when he was 8 weeks old and never had any issues.  Now some goes in his bottles if I don't have enough pumped for daycare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i'm having to supplement my greedy girl. i send her with 3 oz bottles of breastmilk. her caregiver adds 2 ozs of formula and a bit of rice cereal. i chose kirkland brand (because that's what i used with DS). she hasn't had any problems with being supplemented, but she for sure won't take an all formula bottle yet and she's been on formula/bm bottles for about 2 weeks.

yes i would encourage introducing a small amount to see his reaction and then gradually increase the amount of formula.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses ladies.  I appreciate the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"